• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DSA 135....

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I also have red flame algae in there, so i'm wondering how that will do with it.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, just a quick update on the light, both the chaeto and the dragons breath more than doubled their sizes already, so i'd say the light works pretty well.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks like one dispar anthias and the ornate wrasse did not make it, i believe possibly due to flukes. I dosed the tank with prazi and everyone seemed to be better for it, the blurry eye on one of the anthias went away in a day after putting in the meds. I also added three bartletts anthias yesterday, i'll get a picture when they come out a bit more often but they have some nice coloring on them. All in all everything is doing well. I have a few more wrasse to add but other than that i believe i'm done in the fish department for this tank, lol.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I guess just to keep this updated, some disaster has struck. Had an outbreak in the tank, lost two dispars, yellow tang, kole tang, christmas and leopard wrasse, and after starting treatment i lost the angel and sadly my mandarin, copper isn't the best for the mandarin but he was showing signs as well. All of it i attribute to the stupid mistake of adding a couple of fish too soon before they sat in q/t long enough. Something i plan not to due in the future. The other issue i've run into now is bryopsis poking back up in the display, thought i had gotten rid of it last time in the other tank, but it's back. I've dumped a gallon of tech m in the tank so far with no luck, starting back up on the carbon dosing as that and the tech m last time beat it back to about nothing. Now i'll just have to sit and wait until the end of april before putting my fish back. Almost makes you wonder if you made the right decision setting up the tank, hopefully things turn around here.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Been a little quite lately, two more weeks and i can put fish back in the tank, getting everything ready for that. In the meantime i've been fighting bryopsis, it's a hard with coral in the tank though, balancing them staying alive with me attempting to starve the bryopsis. Beginning to wonder if i made the right decision reusing the old rock. there was just so much life on it i figured it was worth a shot. I might try another bottle of tech m, the last bottle didn't do anything. I'm 1 for 2 with that stuff working, i was carbon dosing for the first one though and wasn't for the second, so maybe that has something to do with it.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
After the full gallon was dumped in it was well over 1800. I did it on my 80g with less of a dosage and it worked in 3 days.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I did 350ml a day of tech m on the 80g, i have about 150 total gallons on my new setup and did 750ml a day.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
well, i have 0 nitrates, i have a hanna ulr phosphorus tester that reads 0 ppb, now coral might be a bit pissed off a little bit, i'm hoping this takes out the algae.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
algae seems to have stopped in it's tracks, event starting to fade a bit. I'm going to try out one last round of tech m and hope for the best.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Theres a couple emeralds in there as far as i know along with two pencil urchins, at least thats what i put in. Between the size of the tank, the amount of algae in there, and the fact that they are all small, i don't really see them. I haven't seen the smaller urchin after a few days of putting him in, i caught a glimpse of an emeralds claw the other day. Only real signs it looks like they are good, but there is so much algae in that tank right now, i couldn't see how they could possibly starve.

Onto the positive side of things, fish are back in the tank! After all was said and done, i had 5 left. Clown, 1 bartletts (lost the second one one day before he was going back into the display), 1 dispar, 1 chromis, and 1 purple firefish (this fish is bulletproof at this point, never shows a sign of disease, first fish i ever got). Went to the store yesterday, picked up some fish that went through the copper treatment and prazi (made sure i didn't get the just arrived today like i did last time... not smart on my part). I got 3 more dispars for the group, a yellow tang, yellow eye kole tang, and one other surprise fish, when the lights come on i'll get a pic of him, but he's tearing up any food in front of him and my clams made it through the night. Never mind the algae in the pic, i'm currently carbon dosing, running gfo, and going through a second round of kent. my readings for nitrate are 0ppm, phosphate is 0ppb.