• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

First frag tank

Hey guys, so I really want to set up a frag tank due to being over crowded from the swap :) I have a 20g H rimless tank that I can use. I want to go sump less bc I don't have the room for it. What kind of equipment do you think I would need to pull this off?

Well you know the desk I have next to my tank? I'd be putting it on that. If I could tie it in, I would but I don't know if that would work

It would work. The only downside is if you get a pest then its in both tanks. Just need to cut a section of your plumbing out and T it off to the new tank.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Yup dont add fish or anything and thatll be fone. Thats all I have. Not a speck of algae. I don't even have a skimmer just weekly waterchanges

Sent from my Galaxy S4

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We ran a 20g high as a display tank for over a year and had some amazing success with it. In fact it was one of our best tanks ever until we lost it to a power outage. How did we do it?

Equipment:
Tank
HOB remora skimmer
HOB aquafuge refugium small (they both fit perfect on the back of a 20g high)
5 bulb t5 light (we still have ours, I will give you a deal on it)
MP10
We dosed manually, but I am sure with dosers you can bring it down.
We topped off manually which you might want to look into an ato, but we could eye it up, depends on how busy you are.
2 gallon water change a week, this has to be religious. In our experience, nanos will thrive with weekly water changes, when you do not do the changes, things suffer.

Any questions fire away.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
If you tie it in, it will be easier. However, having it separate might be an advantage because it can also work as a QT tank.

Thanks for your input Mike, Im in the air about tying it in. It would be easier bc i already have a doser set up on my dt. I actually have my old LED fixtures sitting around so I was just gonna use one of those. Just gotta figure out how to hang it. Hmmm

Ps I didn't see your post until just now. My last post was towards Kyle lol

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
That 20h was our first tank together in our old apartment back in 2008/2009 and it was a great tank. Just enough to have fun, but still small enough for about a total of an hour a week to run.

That 20h was our first tank together in our old apartment back in 2008/2009 and it was a great tank. Just enough to have fun, but still small enough for about a total of an hour a week to run.

Well I'm strictly planning on using the tank for frags only. Kind of a frag/grow out tank

I guess I should've said I wanted to do this as a cheap frag tank. Like no crazy expensive equipment. Just a tank that's good enough to keep my frags alive lol

Well I'm strictly planning on using the tank for frags only. Kind of a frag/grow out tank

I guess I should've said I wanted to do this as a cheap frag tank. Like no crazy expensive equipment. Just a tank that's good enough to keep my frags alive lol

Kyle didnt break bank tieing it in. But dont you have expensive fish taste ? I mean not taste, you know what I mean. I bet itll save you more in the long run now letting the frag tank have a dual purpose now rather than later when itll really hurt you.

But kyles set up really saves his pockets on the water changes too.

Kyle didnt break bank tieing it in. But dont you have expensive fish taste ? I mean not taste, you know what I mean. I bet itll save you more in the long run now letting the frag tank have a dual purpose now rather than later when itll really hurt you.

But kyles set up really saves his pockets on the water changes too.

My systems are seperate, not tied in

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Now that I think about it, I'm definitely gonna do separate systems. Too much to get involved with when we may be moving in the next 6 months or so(hopefully)