• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

First frag tank

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What the hoot is this nonsense about. Egg crate is made of polystyrene......this is the stuff that can't be recycled because it doesn't break down. I've had white egg crate in my tank since 2008. Could someone give me a reference if this stuff is a problem in our tanks. I've never heard of this before.[FONT=arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]

I certainly won't argue with Paul but I have seen first hand what the white stuff does and it's an algae magnet. Coincidence? Maybe. I switched to the black shortly after and all was well after a nice waterchange

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Well I took it out bc I realized I made this too big for the 20g I got off of you Kyle. I do however have a crate thing that I made for my skimmer in my 150. Guess we'll see what happens. I'll look into black tho.

I certainly won't argue with Paul but I have seen first hand what the white stuff does and it's an algae magnet. Coincidence? Maybe. I switched to the black shortly after and all was well after a nice waterchange

+1 but I can't argue with Paul.

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I had white egg crate and it was an algae magnet, but I wouldn't say that was because it was leaching. I think there were a few other factors in play.

I've been using white egg crate in my current tank for over 6 years and the only algae I've ever had on it is coralline...

I've read this on many accounts and have seen first hand how the white eggcrate seems to attract more algae then black. As Kyle maybe it's just a coincidence. That said I'v had white eggcrate in my tank that is covered with corriline. Before that though it had a significant amount of hair algae on it that eventually burned off. And it was in my tank for a long time. I have never experienced this with black.

Lol don't hate... Its a glass top to my girlfriends vanity... Its all I had to prevent my cats from getting in at the moment. Any recommendations on a top?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey guys, I wasn't looking for an arguement....I'm looking for the documentation....maybe a Randy Holmes Farley thing that states this stuff is bad. I just don't want the anecdotal evidence to poo-poo the use of white egg crate.

Algae might be growing more on white because white reflects more light, or the surface porosity allows the algae to have "feet," or maybe it's more readily seen on white versus black, or maybe it's the black that is exuding something that is killing the algae growth.......just a couple of thoughts.

Bottom line.....I need proof....documentation. Almost everyone has this stuff in their tanks. I have it as a frag rack, and as a stand for my biopellet reactor, and as a fence on my refugium.

Hey guys, I wasn't looking for an arguement....I'm looking for the documentation....maybe a Randy Holmes Farley thing that states this stuff is bad. I just don't want the anecdotal evidence to poo-poo the use of white egg crate.

Algae might be growing more on white because white reflects more light, or the surface porosity allows the algae to have "feet," or maybe it's more readily seen on white versus black, or maybe it's the black that is exuding something that is killing the algae growth.......just a couple of thoughts.

Bottom line.....I need proof....documentation. Almost everyone has this stuff in their tanks. I have it as a frag rack, and as a stand for my biopellet reactor, and as a fence on my refugium.

Hey Paul you could tell me phosphates do not even exist and I would be inclined to believe you lol

Just did a 2 gallon water change, siphoned up some junk at the bottom. Question tho. If I only have a powerhead and a heater in here, how can i add something to help clear up the water? like carbon?

Skipping that question for a lid question. I think I know what I'm gonna do. I can get a piece of glass or acrylic cut to fit my tank and get some sorta of track bar for the sides of the tank so I can slide the piece of glass/acrylic on and off the tank. Do you guys think that would work? If so, what kind of tracks should I get? Plastic ones I'm guessing

Clean look still?
zuvehumu.jpg
ahudu2aq.jpg
byqyhura.jpg
yby8ena4.jpg