• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Freshoffthegrill's 120G Reef Tank

I dialed back both my Algae Scrubber and Protein Skimmer to see if there is any positive impacts on the two stressed montiporas. I also started dosing Acropower to provide a nitrogen source for the corals in the form of amino acids.

Overdue update:

Tale of two montiporas. I moved the red digitata to a new location and upped my water changes, ~1o gallons every two weeks. The red digi is growing again and like clock work every two weeks starts to reduce its polyp extension. Increasing my WCs has helped. The blue digi is almost bleached out, the earlier bouts of stress and recession seems to be too much for the coral and I will be removing it soon.

Stress to both corals seem to be tied to the Algae Scrubber making the water too clean and or removing trace elements that the corals need to survive and grow, I make this assertion because after a water change and the following week and a half the red digi comes back with polyps extended and noticeable growth.

For the past week I have turned off my protein skimmer entirely to test the ATS ability to filter the water. Mechanical filtration will continue to be handled by the filter socks and the ATS for the removal of Nitrates and Phosphates. I will update my progress and any impacts to the live stock in the tank.

Lets Go!

Algae Scrubber users unite!

9/22 water test:

.00 Phosphate (Hanna Checker)
~0 ppm (API)

Increased ATS photoperiod to 14 hours a day and increased the intensity.

I added a Blue Eye Kole Tang to the tank, that makes three tangs in total, Yellow and Hippo.

Lets Go!

Long overdue update:

December 2016
IMG_20161230_210203733.jpg
January 2018
IMG_20180106_203009167.jpg

Overall the tank is doing well. The RBTA has divided into three, with another division underway.

Right side. The Euphyllia are all doing great. most recent addition is a sweet golden Frogspawn.
IMG_20180106_203611314.jpg
Left side. Zoas overall are doing well. The Chalice coral continues to grow. I had to frag a portion after the turbo grazer fell and broke off a section. The acros and montiporas, some are doing well others not so much.IMG_20180106_203621272.jpg

The use of filter socks, algae scrubber as the primary filtration method at reducing phosphates and nitrates is working. Hanna Checker Phosphate 0.00 and API Nitrate 0.