• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Game Changer Crossflow Water Movement Device Coming out from Maxspect.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Coralvue indicated that because of the type of the pump that this is, anything that would restrict the flow thru it would not be good.

That's not a good answer for me. Sounds like a cop out. They should of thought of that kind problems ahead of time. Most aquariums have snails in them.
I think you could get some nylon window screen you would be fine using. They usually come in 3 or 4 different sizes for the square openings. I would not get the real fine one for the opening. I would go for the Middle size.

That's not a good answer for me. Sounds like a cop out. They should of thought of that kind problems ahead of time. Most aquariums have snails in them.
I think you could get some nylon window screen you would be fine using that they usually come in 3 or 4 different sizes for the square openings. I would not get the real fine one for the opening. I would go for the Middle size.

Yeah I was a little disappointed with the response. I only got the gyre because I had to send my closed loop diverters back for new seals so I needed something to supplement the flow. I really like the flow it creates and was planning on keeping it on my tank to use in conjuction with my closed loop. I have started pulling out the little snails but I will never get them all out! I think they need to look at using a different material for propellers.

I was looking at different material I could try and my concern is that if it comes loose and gets sucked into the pump that will most likely be fatal for the pump as well.

For what it's worth the vortechs are also prone to snail breakage as well. I've had to replace two wet sides after nerite snails stopped the propeller suddenly which led to some melting of the assembly as the magnet continued to spin.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
But at least Vortechs do come with a sponge filter that will help against that.

I had one snail get in and they make a boatload of noise...so luckily was able to run and get it out of the vortech before any major damage. Hope the bugger had a headache.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Every pump on the market could have a snail break it. But I'll take a replace part for $20 http://www.coralvue.com/maxspect-gyre-pump-replacement-propeller Over a wetside on a MP40 for $75
http://store.ecotechmarine.com/store/vortech/mp20-40-parts any day. The 5 wetsides I had to replace over the years were $100 or more. Didn't get any extra wetsides with my mp40s either.

Pretty sure when the mp40s came out 10 years it didn't have the covers they do now. That cover wouldn't stop a snail it was meant to stopped Killing Fish.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I got a new wet side just before Christmas and I only paid $24.99. It was not on sale.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Same here Anthony,
The only reason I got the wet side is for my neighbor next door. He took it apart when he was cleaning it and lost some of it. How he did that I have no clue. But I laugh my a$$ over it.

Big nerite vs mp-40 equals
F76DD7B6-1554-44C5-9B9D-C63EAB1ACA59_zpsfbtqkfbf.jpg

I have both....and will keep it as such. The mp 40-10s can be put in low corners of the tank, no cords in water and have a much more sleek profile with a more random flow pattern. The gyre has a ton of flow in this linear zone, nice way to really mix up the majority of tank water and use vortech to add Some chaos.JMHO

I have both....and will keep it as such. The mp 40-10s can be put in low corners of the tank, no cords in water and have a much more sleek profile with a more random flow pattern. The gyre has a ton of flow in this linear zone, nice way to really mix up the majority of tank water and use vortech to add Some chaos.JMHO
I think this is the best solution.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Yeah we have both and quite like them both. The gyre puts out incredible flow and has done an amazing job at keeping our tank clean. The vortech adds some random flow which is nice. Can't wait for the mini gyre for the frag tank.

Does anyone know if it is possible to place the gyre internally on my overflow on a pennisula tank?

The idea is I'd place it right on the flat overflow vertically, but I'm unsure if the magnets that normally would go on the outside glass are able to be submersed. Hope this makes sense.

Does anyone know if it is possible to place the gyre internally on my overflow on a pennisula tank?

The idea is I'd place it right on the flat overflow vertically, but I'm unsure if the magnets that normally would go on the outside glass are able to be submersed. Hope this makes sense.

I thought Darren Did that with his peninsula tank. I'm not sure so maybe he can chime in.