• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hawkeye's AGA 120

new invert....i didn't think i could have shrimp in my tank because i wasn't sure if they would aggravate my maxima clams or possibly steal the clownfish eggs....but so far so good...

104-3.jpg

i know they do not come out in daylight so this was my best chance at a quality photograph. Sure enough after i released them into the tank all I get are whiskers coming out of a dark cave...although one is underneath the idaho grape cap...

I cant wait to add a fire shrimp into my tank! Great cleaner IME. I never had a problem with clams with any of mine. I've also never had good luck moving them though so I have to wait till the new tank is welll established to get one.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Nice! I have one in my tank and he is very shy. I do not think they will be an issue for the clam.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
They are a bit more outgoing if kept in pairs we have found. Individuals can be very cryptic.

I have a variety of shrimp in my tank, including: Skunk, Coral Banded, Blood and Peppermint. I also have a couple clams, and breeding clowns. I've never had a problem with them irritating the clams or with the clown fish eggs. Or, between each other for that matter.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Love the fire shrimp Phil, and that's a cool looking conch!

What did you do to correct the white balance? I need to figure mine out so any tips/clues would be helpful.

What did you do to correct the white balance? I need to figure mine out so any tips/clues would be helpful.
Try putting a brand new frag plug in the tank focus camera on it and set the white balence to that...

The old adage here is applicable of practice practice practice. I had been taking pics with "AWB" done automatically...this does great in outdoor pics etc but terrible with the ATI blue plus'. There was a device on my camera that has several pre-set options besides AWB...so i literally took 30 photos, a few for each setting...the one good one is posted above...LOL.

No eye candy here...just trying to keep this tank clean and not neglected. Still having a hard time with the AWB on the camera. I think having so many ATI blue + in the tank isn't helping either. I'm overdue for new bulbs...can't wait for the frag swap.

First up - got this coral from a guy in FL. He labeled the coral but of course i've forgotten what it is now...any ideas? Blue polyps with a green base. The coral in the background/right side is a pearlberry I believe that survived even though i thought it was DOA.
012.jpg

Here is a tyree undata that I got from dnov...it's encroaching on a green acro frag I got from WWC, and below you can see a massive amount of sunset monti that I won at the raffle/meeting when we met at Adventure Aquarium long ago. The cyano behind it was the remnants of an ORA red planet. Had an accident with the biopellets which caused the cyano to appear.
025copy.jpg

Not sure where (or even when) I got this orange cap - but this little frag has some pretty interesting "veins". In the background on the right is a green "hulk" monti from concept3.
022.jpg

Hammer coral. This guy has been with me for years...got him before I even had this 120 or lived in NY. I need to frag it as the thing is getting big
023-2.jpg

Other than that - my RBTA (from JRwohler) finally split. Unfortunately instead of one massive RBTA, I now have two massive RBTAs. At least they seem huge to me.

My tank overall is ok - it's a bit of a wild weird looking tank - and not the bonsai little frag tank that most people have. My idaho grape cap is especially out of control as the colony is now touching the back overflow wall and close to approaching the front glass. It is currently doing battle with: an orange cap (losing), a hulk monitpora (i call it even), red digitata (even), and an ora green birdsnest (higher up so winning).

With the growth I decided to increase the flow of all the pumps by adjusting the tunze multicontroller. The streams were set to bounce up and down from 30% to 100% power. I upped it to 50/100. It doesn't seem to have done anything negative. In a week I will probably raise the flow (75/100?) even more to try and curb some of the cyano. I may re-add a fourth tunze also to get more directional flow.

Until then...I am seeking real estate in the tank to add some LR I picked up from Dr. Mac in Maryland (when I was on vacation). I'm trying to build a containment zone for my RBTAs so they stay in one place (this is currently done by specific placement of powerheads). I'm hoping that the additional LR can also function as space to add more frags from the frag swap.

followup on prior posts: Conches dead. I'm not sure i can keep any sand dwelling critter other than my yellow-headed jawfish. Scarlet hermits are mellow dudes but do not frequent the sandbed. Will just manually clean the sand I guess.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Phil, the corals look great.

For our sand beds we have always found nassarius snails to be the best at keeping a clean sand bed. If you can get the large chestnut ones even better. We have not had luck with conches either, but nassarius snails have always been our choice.

I asked HerbieK at the last meeting about what one factor he thought made his SPS grow so much and have such a great tank, and he said flow. I think you can only help your tank and zap any remaining cyano with the increased flow. I think you are doing it right but bringing it up a bit at a time.

First up - got this coral from a guy in FL. He labeled the coral but of course i've forgotten what it is now...any ideas? Blue polyps with a green base. The coral in the background/right side is a pearlberry I believe that survived even though i thought it was DOA.
012.jpg

Looks similar to both of my Cali tort's. Green base, blue tips. In this pic it's the one against the glass second from bottom.
1E9E5E06-35FA-4C38-BC46-F279B1686E95-3453-000004C0258388D9.jpg

Hurricane Sandy left her mark.

Power was just restored in my home after 5 cold and long nights. Right now the entire mid-section of the tank is a sea of white. The smell is pretty bad.

The survivors that I can see:
pearly jawfish
a single red fire shrimp
a maxima clam (reef odyssey)
a green cap (smcooler)
a scoly (aqob)

Other than that it appears to be a sea of white - in the cloudy concoction that was a 120 gallon tank. the house was at 55 degrees this morning.

I talked to my wife last night and was going to break this down. It's one of those things where the effort to clean it will far outweigh just re-starting.

Since I have a few survivors (above) the decision will be to either give them to a person who can care for them and rebuild...or leave the reef for a while and just stick with the seahorse tank (who seemed to have no problems with the lower temperature).

What a week. Work was brutal and I was on con calls til 2 am sitting at the njturnpike rest stop while trying to fill 2 red jugs with fuel. Went to bed at 3 and was woken up at 6 for another call.

Also sorry to hear this. So many people going though this. Like I've told others, if there is anything I can do let me know.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Sorry to hear Phil, we can all help you rebuild. Get your bearings straight, take a hot shower and we will go from there.