• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hawkeye's AGA 120

Sry to hear this. The clown fish you gave me is still doing well. Let me know and frags from my tank are yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

004.jpgThis is about 12 hrs after power restored. It's a lot clearer and I think I see the anemone in the back trying to reinflate. I'm not putting this on photobucket as I have no desire to look at decaying coral blown up. I took out a dinner sized plate of grape cap (luckily the stuff grows quickly). The supposedly impervious sunset monti has indeed set into the sunset. What was orange cap is now grey/white cap. Can I frag and market them as LE grey cap? :p Not sure how the blue tort, wwc green acro, monti undata (from dnov) are doing...they don't appear white, but it's hard to tell with the tank color. 50 gallons of water are warming up to change out. Ammonia in the tank is at 0.05 on the seachem badge. Once I change out the water, I will see how the marker goes and may try and grab some amquel.

Wife wants white sand. Maybe I'll rip the thing apart and re-set.

Additional survivors spotted:
2nd pearly jawfish
kole tang
neon goby

by the way - the smell is not dead snails bad yet...just chaeto gone bad or funky stink. The skimmer is going crazy...

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phil, there are no words my friend. Clean it up as best you can and when you get the water parameters back to normal we'll all help you get that tank back to it's previous glory! Right now, just make sure the family is safe and sound.

Hang in there bud.

I can finally see the back of the tank through the cloudiness. The stink is still there and the skimmer is pulling out indescribable stink.

I had to remove the entire rock the nem was on - at least what was left of the nem. Little fluorescent red bits of what were the tentacles were floating about all over the place. At least I was able to get it out of the tank. The clone is just bits of mush floating around. Hence the ammonia up to 0.05. A small damsel is missing so that may also be contributing to the ammonia. The tricolor validia is white. The ORA Birdsnest is white and the whatever you call it regular birdsnest is also white. The blue tort is white. I should probably just say what isn't white:

The scolia and my indestructible hammer coral (which I got one hot summer day on the subway through a trade). The hammers are all very much receded but slowly showing more flesh each hr.

The maxima died overnight also.

I'm going to have to take a chisel to the main Live Rock structure as what was the idaho grape cap/rainbow monti/green hulk/orange digi have all fused into a single big white monstrosity.

Sigh...what a day. Trash pick up is tomorrow and what I put in that trash can is $$$$ of dead corals + one achilles.

OH and I had an accident with the ozmolator on the seahorse tank...causing fresh RO to go pouring onto my floor. A zip tie fixed it permanently but I had to empty out several boxes which i had stacked stupidly next to the tank.

But seeing houses float on the water and people with mildew/mold due to flooding makes my issue quite minor in comparison.

thanks everyone. I just did another 50 gallon water change between conference calls. I was at the office all last week while the building was on generator power so I figured I could take a day to work from home today.

I am pretty sure I siphoned out bits of snails and anemone. Tossed out the trumpet coral colony, plates of sheer white colored caps. I found another live fish. So I guess everyone was hiding and my only fish loss is the achilles.

The stink has reduced, but the ammonia badge still reads 0.05. Not sure when I will get the all clear. I guess I'll prep another 50 gallon water change. Should have loaded up on more salt earlier in the year. Who knew?

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Glad to hear you found another live fish Phil! Maybe you should get some AmQuel to help reduce the ammonia?

If it's still at .05 after a couple big water changes then something is still producing ammonia.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phil

Sorry to hear about the tank. Let me know when you want to move it and I'll give you a hand. Just have to coordinate with Olivier (I've already committed to help him) so it's not on the same day. I lost all my sps colonies and my blue spot jawfish so I can sympathize with what your going through.

Bob

Glad to hear you found another live fish Phil! Maybe you should get some AmQuel to help reduce the ammonia?

If it's still at .05 after a couple big water changes then something is still producing ammonia.

i dosed some Erase CL to bond the ammonia. I had picked that up a long time ago in anticipation of helping with the clownfish fry tank. The fish are much more out and about and the hammers are slowly opening up their polyps again. Scoly still is oblivious to it all (thank goodness), but the shocker is...

I found the other anemone.

I thought I had siphoned up the bits and pieces, but I guess that was all from the clone. The anemone is moving into the corner of the tank - I still see a few red tentacles (hiding). So not sure what to do yet...it doesn't appear to be dying but I'm not an expert. Will continue to observe - biggest fear is the foot letting go and finding it's way to the tunze pumps.

btw in terms of inverts - the only things alive are a single astrea snail, two fire shrimp, and a pincushin urchin ...and now the anemone.

I took another look at the nem and it looks like it has maybe 8 tentacles left out of a 50. I don't think this story will end well.

Phil

Sorry to hear about the tank. Let me know when you want to move it and I'll give you a hand. Just have to coordinate with Olivier (I've already committed to help him) so it's not on the same day. I lost all my sps colonies and my blue spot jawfish so I can sympathize with what your going through.

Bob

no need to move the tank. The smell is gone after two 45~50 gallon of water changes. Thanks for the offer. Right now the big next step waiting for the tank to stabilize and then figuring out how to re-stock.

Of course during this debacle you'd hope that the pain in the rear asterina stars would all croak,but noooo. All of my mini brittle stars are gone - no doubt dead. With my luck the pain in the neck vermitid snails will all still be alive too. I hate those things. Honestly now that the tank is the way it is, I may just take everything out with a vermetid and wipe them out. Put in new LR. go from there.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phil

The offer still stands if you need a hand with anything. I'm close.

Bob

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Glad to hear things are getting better Phil. Don't lose hope on the nem... it might still pull through.

If you have a ton of asterinas, maybe you should get a harlequin shrimp to wipe them out? As for the vermitids... probably not a bad idea. At least pull out all the rock that you can and pluck them off with a pair of tweezers or needle nose pliers. At least if you wipe most of them out now before you start restocking, you'll be much happier later.

Well I have good news and really bad news.

GOOD NEWS: the nem survived and grew back all its tentacles (shorter and lighter).

BAD NEWS: it walked into my tunze last night...

Removing skimmate is pretty nasty stuff. Taking the remains of a large anemone and trying to separate from a tunze is even worse. I'm really upset with myself because I saw it walking around and I thought that was not a good sign. I was going to try and grab it and move it into some rock rubble but I decided to leave it be. Big mistake.

But as the immortal gloria gaynor sang - "I will survive", and so will this tank. The moral here is that if your nem is badly hurt, it can remarkably survive and recover...as long as you don't let it walk into your pump. :p

Hey Hawkeye, I'm also in Metuchen. Went through the exact same thing. My tank was crammed full of SPS and the the smell of dead acros was absolutely disgusting. It made dead fish smell like perfume! ha. My tank was a 100% redo, but Im glad to say I restarted it and already have fish, some zoas, and a few SPS frags. LMK if you ever want to order from LA and we could easily split the shipping.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ugh, sorry to hear that Phil. It's a shame that it came through a remarkable recovery... only to end up in the PH. :sorrow: