• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hurricane Irene

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
LBI fared pretty well. Given the 'eye' or what was left of hit came in at holgate. Power's on here and my friends that rode it out say the power barely flickered. It seems it was far worse inland. Here it wasn't much worse than a strong nor'easter, maybe even easier b/c of wind direction. The only damage I've seen is beach erosion and a lot of dock damage on the bay side from the surf taking boards up.
I was just saying today.. This storm was like Floyd to us shore folk where inland got it worse

Paul B

NJRC Member
This is around the corner from my house
Aug29005.jpg

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
September 4th is NJ P&L fall back date...that is what they tell everyone if they have a line down or a substation underwater. Basically they are running around and have no idea when they will get to you. Certainly sucks for all of us. Bob diving the drain are you fricking crazy????????????????????????????

The power just came back. I couldn't wait for the moment. Now after being able to see the mess It wasn't worth it.:( James I only went 'diving' on the storm drain because there was no help from 911 (they actually showed up 6 hours later!) and I didn't want my family to try and walk through chest deep water in a neighborhood with underground utilities and possible open catch basins. It was myself and 2 other guys, we watched each other as we cleared the grates. If it wasn't for my daughter watching the storm all the houses on my street would have been flooded! My neighbors we're lucky I had all their numbers to warn them as everyone was sleeping.

Bob

Bob. You have my vote for president next election unlike that guy that hoarded all the Yuengling during the storm.

All kidding aside, you sound like an awesome neighbor.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The diving wasn't my idea. I just helped. Tow truck just recover my daughters 2010, 6,000 mile Honda Accord. MY wife's 3 week old Acura MDX is next and my other daughters 2012 Honda Civic is being evaluated today or tomorrow. :(

Bob

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here's my update...I had very spotty internet on my phone so I couldn't do much but read an occasional post. Couldn't take being away from the internet so I'm currently at a friends posting. My power has been out since 9pm Sat night. Tanks were good all day Saturday into Sunday night when I finally got a generator. Unfortunately I woke up to the smell of death on Monday. Lost 2 fish(all I could see) in my 120 and all of my softies were laying over in milky water. In my 200 all looks better because it is on a vortech w/battery. I am now a firm believer in paying the price for some security, I wish I had one on the 120. After doing a slight wc I have slowly been putting everything back online yesterday when I borrowed a generator. I had my return pump, 2 heaters, a dual reactor with carbon and a hot with carbon and my skimmer online until about 1:30 this am when the generator must have run out of gas. I thought the lack of noise would wake me up, but I guess I was beat( next time set alarm!) and awoke to the smell of death again and the water back down to 69 and milky again.

I have to say that I can not beleive that my vortech batt is still going after 60 hrs later! I will hook it up to the generator today to recharge. I have a second generator coming today so I can leave the tank to heal and use the other to try to start getting life back to normal Well pump, Freezer, fridge whatever else I can!

Bob that is just wild, brave and crazy are sort of linked I guess. I am very happy that you made it through safely.

Don sorry about your problems hope things start working out.

Here is a question. I have kept the lights out, don't want to tax the generator as it is super finicky(read PIA), how long do you think the corals will survive without much light?