• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hurricane Irene

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Came home today after evacuating. Glad to report no problems and never lost power.
All fish seem fine.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Daniel, sorry to hear about your losses. I hate loosing fish…it stinks!

With all the stories I’ve hear about people buying generators at Home Depot with Irene, and HD shipping in additional units, with people lined up to buy them, I’m thinking a lot of this units will end up being returned this week. What I’m going to do is visit my local HD maybe on Tuesday or Wednesday and see if they have any of these returned generators at a good price. Might be a good time to buy.

Thank you! Yes I will be looking for them to show up.

Daniel,
Sorry to hear about your fish.

It sucks I never thought that would happen.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
No power since last night. 2 totaled cars,2 water damaged cars, a flooded garage and the water within a inch of taking over my house. Called 911 when the water reach 5ft. deep on the street and was basically told to swim. My neighbor and myself went diving on the storm drains and were able to open the drains. The water Subsided after about a hour. PSE&G estimates my power will be restored Sept 4th! A big thanks to Dantheman and Malulu for delivering a generator to my house! I can't say thank you enough

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear that Daniel, but magic has you beat.

Bob, really sorry to hear that. Good luck with everything. Hang in there, PSE&G is saying that to everybody. We had a friend get through today, they told her that and about 3 hours later she was back on.

I'm going on 27 hours without power myself. It does suck.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

yikes bob - situation sounds awful. when i called PSEG early saturday they said the fix would be done by 8pm sunday. When i called later on sunday they were giving the blurb that someone would check on it by sunday sept 4th. But power came back on at approximately 10:30PM - so my outage lasted for just under 23 hrs. So hopefully power will be back for you and Taz soon.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow, I was coming on here to report that I had no real problems at all. Heavy rains and winds was about the extent of it. Never lost power, no damage to the house, etc.

If figures, because aside from not getting a generator, we were extremely prepared for this storm. Brought in all the outdoor furniture and small items in the yard, fridge was stocked, bought a battery backup for my VorTech, had battery powered fans and a radio, got an extra propane tank for the BBQ, got tons of batteries, candles, a few lighters, did a big water change on the tank, made extra salt water and extra rodi. I was about as prepared as I could be. If I didn't do all that, I probably would have had all the problems everyone else had.

After seeing the issues some of you had, I feel very fortunate. Daniel, sorry about the fish. Bob, there are no words to express how I feel for you man! :( Paul B, glad you were ok, but your neighborhood got rocked! Don, and all the others that lost power... I hope the generators and backup pumps keep your tanks going!

If anyone near me has any emergencies or need help with anything to keep your tank critters alive... send me a PM. I'll try to help in any way I can.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bob and Don,
I feel so bad for the two of you. If you need anything you know how to get me and I will see what I can do to help.
Dan

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Another 60,000 people lost power today in Monmouth county and could be out another 2-3 days. We had power in my office this morning than at around 9:45 everything went out and it is not back up.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ack! I thought the damage was already done? Didn't think more issues would be popping up after yesterday.

September 4th is NJ P&L fall back date...that is what they tell everyone if they have a line down or a substation underwater. Basically they are running around and have no idea when they will get to you. Certainly sucks for all of us. Bob diving the drain are you fricking crazy????????????????????????????

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Someone on RC just reported that AC power is shutting off power where he lives for 2 days and should be on the 31st at noon... He lives in Sicklerville area

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would but don't have room in my DT tank ..I was going to do this for a friend on LBI but he ended up taking himself and corals to NYC but we was going to set a 50.gl up in my dinning room.. but i will be willing to help any member out here.. just have to make a set up here.. i have most of the stuff to make a temp set up but I'm sure we could make it work

No power since 1:30AM Sunday moning. Makes you appreciate the VorTech battery backup...and the generator my wife made me buy last winter. All my stuff would be dead by now. I've been turning off the generator from midnight till 6AM to save my neighbors' nerves. The battery vortech system seems to provide enough flow for that interval. Plus my Iwaki R100DLT pump jammed during the power outage (@#$%iing murphy's law!). Lucky I bought a spare but I have been running without a skimmer until today.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Happy to hear that Jim.. Oh and that Murphy and his law suck:D.. I wonder what made the pump to jam.. a snail maybe?

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
I would but don't have room in my DT tank ..I was going to do this for a friend on LBI but he ended up taking himself and corals to NYC but we was going to set a 50.gl up in my dinning room.. but i will be willing to help any member out here.. just have to make a set up here.. i have most of the stuff to make a temp set up but I'm sure we could make it work

LBI fared pretty well. Given the 'eye' or what was left of hit came in at holgate. Power's on here and my friends that rode it out say the power barely flickered. It seems it was far worse inland. Here it wasn't much worse than a strong nor'easter, maybe even easier b/c of wind direction. The only damage I've seen is beach erosion and a lot of dock damage on the bay side from the surf taking boards up.