• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hurricane Irene

Greg what about a couple batteries with a solar charger running a korilla? Only like 7-14w

I'm mostly concerned with my basement's sump pump. My 100+ year old brick foundation leaks bad and if I lose electricity and we get the 12" of rain they're predicting, I'm screwed. Furnace, water heater, washer, dryer... gone along with 200 gallons of corals. I might have to ride it out and use the inverter if i need to. I'll take Irene over staying at my mother-in-law's for the weekend.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Greg, I will be testing my generator tomorrow, if all goes well you have me as a backup plan. I am also hoping for no evacuation.

How aggravating is it not to be able to tap into that powerplant on your roof??? I know I'd be

LOL! The funny thing is that when I asked my brother (coming up from IN.) to bring up a generator for me, he ask "Why in the world would I need one if I have Solar panels on the roof". He was dumbfounded when I told him. "Sorry, but it doesn't work that way".

How did you manage that? Are there still some available by you?

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
LOL! The funny thing is that when I asked my brother (coming up from IN.) to bring up a generator for me, he ask "Why in the world would I need one if I have Solar panels on the roof". He was dumbfounded when I told him. "Sorry, but it doesn't work that way".

How did you manage that? Are there still some available by you?
Had it for some time time

What good is to have solar panels if you are not going to have any sun Saturday night and all day Sunday as well as Sunday night during the hurricane? Unless you sprung for the battery storage system with your solar unit. Even if you had the batteries how long would they last? In this situation a generator seems the only way to go.

I was at homedepot in springfield this morning and there were about 75 people waiting in line for a shipment of generators. I was just there to buy rope to tie things down. The cashier was funny, she said they already sold about 200 generators and thank goodness, she isn't working on Monday, b/c there will probably be 200 generator returns. I hope she is right.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yea, if you just got one, you have to decide whether to leave it in the box so you can return it easily, or open it up now to test and make sure it works right. :cool:

I'm with you though trivan... hoping we won't need it cause I can't find any locally either. Considering calling the one on ebay I posted and driving up there.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear that Bad Fish. :(

Oh, and I called about the one I linked on Ebay. They don't have them in Lakewood, so don't bother calling.

I had to settle for buying a battery backup for my MP40, which should give me up to 36 hours of powerhead use at least. Couldn't find any generators anywhere around me. I might have to go "borrow" one off of one of our jobsites. ;)

Yea, if you just got one, you have to decide whether to leave it in the box so you can return it easily, or open it up now to test and make sure it works right. :cool:

I'm with you though trivan... hoping we won't need it cause I can't find any locally either. Considering calling the one on ebay I posted and driving up there.

You're gonna need one sooner or later....

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
My town was just advised all residents must be out by 5pm Saturday. I don't have a generator and wouldn't leave it running without me being here. No inverter or battery powered air supply Any suggestions about the tank. Should I leave everything running and hope for the best? My concern is losing power and then a fihs gets caught in the PH. I was think of unplugging them right before I leave tomorrow. Good / bad, any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Can you just put a foam cover or maybe some kind of netting over the PH's to keep the fish out? If you can, then I'd say leave everything plugged in and hope for the best.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
The PH are Koriala 4. I have two; one on each end so not sure what I can cover it with.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The worst part about the power going out is we won't be able to come online and ask each other for help. Keep your phones handy folks (assuming the phones will even work.)