• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Inherited JBJ 28

I guess it is time to document my tank. Back in 09-10 when i moved out of the state i had left my 5 foot 90 gallon tank with my father. More on that here.

IMG_4703.jpg

(Photo taken 8.05.2009 )

I recently moved back to NJ and ironically my father donated a JBJ 28 gallon tank back to me. He's about 4 feet of tank short, however the ingenuity of the custom built stand makes up for anything lacking. Build of the stand.

A matching custom built canopy was also built. Build of the canopy. Unfortunately this suffered from moisture damage and some warping to the wood occurred. The moisture also brought on some mold issues. Spray paint was used inside the hood and may have fed this mold?
Today I scrubbed the mold with some diluted bleach.

Then caulked out every crack.

And finally applied Kilz primer with added "mildewcide"

This was done to prevent mold issues for the next few months. Eventually I plan to rebuild the canopy, but until then this will do.

This is quick chicken scratch of what i am thinking. The left side is a top down view. The square in the back left is a tunze skimmer. Right sketch is front view.

Equipment:
  • Vortech MP10es ( x2 )
  • Ebay 120w Dimmable LEDs
  • Tunze 9004 nano skimmer
  • BRS dosing pump ( x2 )
  • JBJ ATO

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Now wait one minute! Don't I have to be dead for you to inherit? Were's my lawyer? You even said "donated." So this should be Donated JBJ28! :eek:

Jon, Nice job cleaning up the canopy today. Looks good with the new caulk and paint job.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Nice work on cleaning the canopy! Seems like your handy like Your father. Looking forward to following along. Best of luck!

Now wait one minute! Don't I have to be dead for you to inherit? Were's my lawyer? You even said "donated." So this should be Donated JBJ28! :eek:
Your right! I'm still alive, i think i want the 90 back.
Only kidding ofcourse. :D

Nice work on cleaning the canopy! Seems like your handy like Your father. Looking forward to following along. Best of luck!

Thank you, i have not done much yet. If i can get it to come out halfway how i vision in my head it should be a decent looking tank.

Welcome back. It was nice meeting you at the Christmas party. Good luck with build.

Thank you! It feels good to be back, unfortunately I am so new I cant put faces to screen names yet. I do plan on renewing my membership though, so more meetings in the future.

Still need to purchase:

• Bucket of salt
  • New RO/DI filters
  • RO/DI sink adapter
  • Small mixing bucket or brute
  • Fiji pink sand ( x1 or 2 )
  • 50w jager heater
I was thinking of trying Brightwell Aquatics NeoMarine salt for this tank. In the past I have used Reef Crystals and a short run of Red Sea Pro. I never liked the sludge in the mixing bucket from the reef crystals. I found a few heaters laying around but everything being 200w +
I will be making water in such a small scale that I figure I would rather have a 50w heater running than the 200w coming on and off in the mixing bucket.

Last edited:
Stocking Ideas:

Fish:

• Spotcinctus Clownfish ( x2 )
  • Yasha Goby
  • Barnacle Blenny
  • Bangaii Cardinalfish ( x1 or 2 )
Invertebrate:
  • Astraea Snail ( x3 )
  • Nassarius Snail ( x3 )
  • Cerith Snail ( x5 )
  • Scarlet Hermit Crab
  • Randalli Pistol Shrimp
  • Sexy Shrimp ( x3 or 5 )
This tank currently houses 2 maxi mini anemones and a few soft coral. No fish, CUC, or sand at the moment. As far as corals I am thinking mixed reef. Mostly SPS and LPS with very select softies. If need be, the number of snails can increase as a food source does. I am also considering a flame angel and/or possum wrasse.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Welcome back Jon. Glad to see a few years later the itch returns. Stocking list looks good, though you will probably have to donate the cardinals away after a few years. The sexy shrimp are a good call with the maxi nems, ours host together and are pretty cool. Maybe a pistol for the yasha goby?

Hey! I just saw this a few weeks ago. Great job cleaning it up.

Thanks!

Welcome back Jon. Glad to see a few years later the itch returns. Stocking list looks good, though you will probably have to donate the cardinals away after a few years. The sexy shrimp are a good call with the maxi nems, ours host together and are pretty cool. Maybe a pistol for the yasha goby?

Thank you, its really good being back. Whats your thought on the cardinals? They will grow big enough to eat the sexies? There is a randalli pistol shrimp planned, this photo was stolen from the internet but this little guy;

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Cardinals get big and can be nasty when they are older, but that usually takes a few years. If you get a few of the smaller tank raised ones, you should be fine for a couple of years. I also love the way they look when they are younger, but they aren't as nice in full adulthood. Sorry, missed the pistol shrimp in your stocking list, was reading too fast.

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation said:
Clark: Russ, go get the hammer.
Ellen: Clark, what do you need a hammer for?
Clark: I'm gonna catch it in the coat... And smack it with the hammer.

Originally I was going to wrap large rocks in an old towel and smash it into rubble. Redfishbluefish had a bucket of rubble already broken up ( thanks again! ) so this saved a step.

First step, someone had to drink the beer. Then I constructed a water tight mock tank with the box. The rectangle in the back left corner is the protein skimmer.

And then i started to putty piece by piece..

..but there were distractions..

and the right side view

I might add a rock where the two red caps are and may go higher in front of the skimmer but right now I like where I am at. I am letting this harden over night and will at least add more putty at the joints tomorrow.

Nice. I like the rock work design. If I decide to start over with base rock I want to do something like this instead of the whole "pile of rocks" look I've become used to.

Nice. I like the rock work design. If I decide to start over with base rock I want to do something like this instead of the whole "pile of rocks" look I've become used to.

Thank you!

Today I added more putty for further security. I have also added 2 more rocks, a flat piece good for coral placement ( back top left ) and a round rock ( back right.) Besides adding a barnacle cluster for the barnacle blenny, this is my final draft.

I had barnacle Benny's and found they preferred nooks in my rocks over the nice expensive cluster I purchased for them.. Lol

Great job with the scape!

Thanks!

I had barnacle Benny's and found they preferred nooks in my rocks over the nice expensive cluster I purchased for them.. Lol

The round rock is hollow and i plan on putting the barnacles there. Hopefully a combo works. Im also thinking of 3 barnacle blennys but not sure.

This is not really an update, just want to record i started "cooking" the rock structure 01/10/16 in a half full 19 gallon tub. This photo was taken 01/13/16. I am using a Reefkeeper Lite as an outlet for 2 powerheads and a heater set at 80 degrees. SG is 1.020

Hey Jon welcome back, sorry just saw the thread. Like the scape. The cardinals will be able to wolf down the sexy shrimp eventually.
Let me know when you are up and running can try and get you some frags and stuff.
Still have the RBTA that I bought from you...or at least one of clones.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I really like the way the rock work was done, can't wait to see it filled!