• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

January 2012 Meeting

Thank you Jim again for hosting! haha newbie luck got me a frag of the Mad Drama green & purple tip frogspawn and a branching hammer. I'll post pics once it opens up it's still pretty pissed off from the ride home. See you all at mnats place.

@brandonsreef - thanks! what a cool looking tank jim. A blue devil damsel? you are a man who likes risks I see...hahahaha.

nice clam too. what kind of lights are you running? but i digress...great tank. very different from the usual pile o rocks.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Don't say I didn't tell ya so...

For the raffle you buy tickets, and then put your ticket(s) in the cup of the coral you want to try and win, and then wait for the newbie luck to strike. From each cup we pull a ticket and the person with the matching ticket wins. New members and people attending their first meeting always seem to win the most frags (newbie luck).

Told ya so! :p

Thanks to Jim for hosting the meeting and thanks to Bob for driving! Glad to see so many new faces and to be able to put those faces to names.

I'll upload and post pics soon!

malulu

NJRC Member
Jim,

thank you for inviting us to your beautiful home...!
Especially loved your great fish tunnel idea, will DEFINITELY try to do the same with mine when i get a chance in the future.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for having us Jim, tank looks great. It was a good turnout with so many new members. The best part about it is the fact that most were relatively close. Southern membership is growing! Hope to see you all at the next one!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Great to see you again Jim, As well as meet all of the other members who made it.

Special thanks to the guys for bringing my tank down for me lol. took about 2 and a half hours but i finally got it all cleaned up :livid:

Newbie luck FTW! Love the stuff i got, Thanks again to you Taz for the Digi and to the reefer gods for the 2 other frags i won hahaha

Definitely glad I attended, hopefully you will see me a lot more regularly from now on.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Eye Candy

The "Big Guns" were not at the meeting, well one was but he had to sneak out of the house and didn't get a chance to grab the camera. These are just taken with my Canon point and shoot so they are not the greatest.

Thank you all for coming and the nice comments. It was nice to finally put some faces, and in some cases names, on the monikers. It seemed like a really good turnout and it's good to see our "southern" membership growing.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jim,
I had a great time at your house. Your tank looks great! I can not believe how much food you had leftover. That had to be the first meeting with that much food that leftover.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yea, there was a ton of food leftover and to think I was worried there wasn't going to be enough due to everyone bringing beer, haha. Jim, your tank looked even better than the last time I was over... I think those magenta and RB strips were worth it.

Phil asked what kind of lights Jim has and nobody replied so I'll fill you in... he's got 2 of those Amazon/Chinese LED's (on the left and right sides of the tank) and an AI Sol Blue in the middle. Then, to supplement the colors he has 2 royal blue stunner strips and 2 magenta stunner strips (or was it 3 of each?).

Anyway, thanks for being a great host Jim. There was a great turnout and yes the South is rising! :cool:

It was great to see everyone again and nice to meet all the lucky newbies that won most of the frags. It hurt a little when Brandon's mom dropped the green cap frag that I donated and you guys won... but I'm sure she felt worse than me. :cry: Hopefully there were some pieces big enough to glue down to your rocks.

Thanks to Bob and Don for taking the reigns while Mike was away. And thanks to Brian for taking a few pics. I was going to bring my new Canon T2i to take some pics, but with all the other stuff I brought I forgot to put it in the car. Ah well, maybe I can get to next months meeting and bring it that time.

Here are a couple pics of the zoas I won in the raffle, followed by some other freebies I got at the meeting:

(The bunch on the bottom/center of this pic)

IMG_0110.jpg

(These weren't all that happy quite yet, but it was a nice bunch of pinks)

IMG_0113.jpg

(Here's a finger leather frag that Craig aka Falconut gave me... not all that happy quite yet either, but it's looking better and better as the minutes pass... Thanks Craig!)

IMG_0128.jpg

(Lastly, here's a nice piece that Herbie gave me and a couple others... I believe it's called a purple rim montipora confusa ? It's like a teal green scrolling monti with a fluorescent edge, and then a purple rim to it. It's about twice as thick as a normal monti cap and was a real interesting piece. Thanks Herbie!)

IMG_0114.jpg

I didn't take any pics of them, but Don also gave me a couple 1 gal. jugs that i plan to use for dosing my 2-part. Thanks Don!

All in all, it was a great time. Glad I could make it!

Thanks again Jim for hosting the meeting. It was nice to meet a lot of people from the club. I appreciated the frags also. My tank doesn't look like a complete barren desert anymore! Looking forward to the next meeting.

Thanks from us also Jim! Warm hospitality and wonderful tank. Also great to see everyone at our first meeting of the year! Cheers! Our new critter frags are doing well also, love these raffles.

First, thanks again to all for coming and for the kind words.
@Hawkeye Sorry I missed that, but yes, the Blue Devil Damsels are well named, but Lynn thinks they have the prettiest color of all the fish in the tank. As far as the lights...what Gorge said, although I do have to make a change and install the RB 445nm along side of the Magenta so I can get a better "blend" of the two colors. I do have a couple of Blue 453 nm too. And thank you too.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Sorry I missed it, looks like everyone had a blast. Looking forward to hosting next month.

It hurt a little when Brandon's mom dropped the green cap frag that I donated and you guys won... but I'm sure she felt worse than me.
Yes she was very upset. SO WAS I! lol but some of the pieces did pull through, in her defense though the bag was wet so it slipped. plus she was holding all of our other winnings and freebies so she was a little over encumbered. Thanks again to everyone great meeting you all and looking forward to seeing yall at the next meeting! :)

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Thanks Jim. It was great to get an opportunity to get to know some of the people who have been so helpful through my journey. Sadly I bucked the newbie raffle trend. I guess the reef gods knew I'd been a member for a year and decided I waited too long for my first meeting. ...bit I didn't leave empty handed. I have a few finger leather frags compliments of Craig - falconut. And a new Aqua-C 180 to try thanks to Herb. Just need to find a Mag somewhere...