• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

my first 55g SW Tank

I got almost all the equipment for free and it will get me started, so that is why i used it..

what i have so far..

55 Gal tank
Coralife hood with 2 10,000k 65 watt flourescent and 2 450mm 65watt lights
60 lbs of live Bahama sand
Marineland Emperor 400B filter with bio-wheel
Marineland penguin 150 filter with bio-wheel
250 watt stealth heater (marineland)
a smaller elite heater/backup
basic floating thermometer.
digital thermometer.
Salinity is at 32ppt/1.024 spg.
Temp @ 79-80F

Sorry in advance. I have only my nikon coolpix to take pictures with so they are nowhere near the quality i have seen from alot of you guys

first picture no fish
HPIM2241.jpg

picture with some yellow tailed blue damsels and left handed hermits
HPIM2249.jpg

HPIM2252.jpg

fixed the light from sitting on top the tank.. (a bulb is out :( )

HPIM2253.jpg

some more pictures from today 9-30-08

Took out the air stone and diver dan :'( ;D ;D got some small pieces of live rock with lotsa coralline on them.. and got about 25 or so lbs of lace rock.. slowly coming along..

DSCN1476.jpg

DSCN1500.jpg

added rock
DSCN1507-1.jpg

DSCN1508.jpg

DSCN1509.jpg

here are a few or the picture hogs.. blue damsels don't want to stay still!
DSCN1494.jpg

left handed hermit
DSCN1491.jpg

red legged hermit
DSCN1492.jpg

and what is this stuff? only a small bit of it.
DSCN1506.jpg

Good pics...just a suggestion I think that someone here has a hang on skimmer for sale. You might look into replacing one or both of the bio wheels eventually with a skimmer. You got your first coral too where did you the rock nice sized piece.

I got all my lace rock and live rock from Pet Kare 1 FoxRun plaza, Bear Delaware.. I have two LFS but one is not the greatest and the other one. the owners are at a convention in Florida for the store so they have very little stock at the moment. I got the last pieces of live rock with the coral on them for $3.23.. couldn't beat that!

Thanks! and I'll look for the skimmer
The LFS that I usually go to is Pennsville Aquatics.. PV NJ 08070 if anyone cares.

Nope that is a great price. :D..BTW since you are a member we have some great group buys (for lights for example) and hope you can make it to the frag swap. I saw TB Aquatics post that they will bring some critters up for the swap at pretty good prices FYI.

I think we had something planned for the 25th, going to Field of Screams or something.. but I'm trying to talk her into the frag swap along with my brother..

Forgot to mention all the live rock i get is cured and been in the tank for awhile.. if it's fresh i won't buy it, i don't have a QT or extra tank to cure it in

a little update.. I think she's hooked ;) as well. we went to the LFS and she saw a chocolate starfish and 2 juvenile percula's, so here we are ;D.. some pics a little later

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you mean a chocolate chip starfish, they are not reef safe.

Tanks looks great so far. keep up the good work.

hopefully it is in the works to buy the 220g from Bax and make the 55 a fish only tank with a little live rock.. I don't have anything other than live sand and the rock in there right now..

on to the pics..

DSCN1510.jpg

One is bigger than the other and Juveniles so i got a good pair.. also they are both eating good so far
DSCN1511.jpg

you're pretty far from the swap - but you're really close to macna next year! ;D

i completely agree with jrwohler on swapping a filter out for a skimmer. I'd also suggest adding a pair of powerheads on each side for additional water movement for the coral.

I also noticed you have zero snails. Hermit crabs are pretty bad at cleaning the glass... ;)

Oh and is it possible to aquascape so that you have some caves? It looks a little dense - but that's just my 2 cents!

Thanks phil. I thought i mentioned somewhere that i now have 6 hermits which do a great job and 3 astrea snails.. we'll see how many i have left in the morning. The starfish buy wasn't thought out, but more of a she liked it kinda buy

Hey fish looks good ...but panmanmatt is 100% right the starfish is not reef safe....try to take it back and get a serpent starfish or pay a little more and get a blue linka. Those are considered reef safe. I have a serpent starfish from a recent group buy and I have to say it is really facinating. Moves a lot faster then I would have expected when it comes out for food, pretty fun critter.

Nice start!

Those damsels just need a bit more elbow room ;)

I'd consider taking the CC star back for a serpent too, I have two and they are great scavengers.

Baxreefs said:
Those damsels just need a bit more elbow room ;)

I happened to see the same size tank today at the Hospital, WOW :eek: it is big.. they had about 6 fish in there bigger than my hand and about 10 more smaller ones..

anyways, everything is looking good had some algae taking over nitrates where a little high. Did a water change last night and have left the lights off today.. I also moved some things around in there while the water was low..

I have a LED blue lunar light, should i leave them on all night or just while someones in the room.. I notice the clowns swimming in the light all the time. is it keeping them up? all the others are in their hiding spots at night..

DSCN1516.jpg

DSCN1519.jpg

DSCN1520.jpg

i don't think the night light is keeping them awake...but it may be that they do not have a "spot" to stay in yet if the damsels have taken up residence already.

If you are concerned about it - you could try

1) rearrange all the rocks so everyone doesn't have a home and has to start over

2) (and good luck with this) try catching the damsels - keeping them segregated for a few days while the clowns settle in, then letting the damsels out once the clowns are established.

Or it could just be the light. ;D

phil519 said:
1) rearrange all the rocks so everyone doesn't have a home and has to start over
Check, twice

2) (and good luck with this) try catching the damsels - keeping them segregated for a few days while the clowns settle in, then letting the damsels out once the clowns are established.
blue devils now in lockdown ;) now just what to do with them?

Or it could just be the light. ;D i'm going to try and just have it on while someone is up..

on another note i got some Feather Caulerpa (C. crassifolia) from my brother.. to grow out and put in a fuge, then i should have enough for anyone that needs/wants some

DSCN1522.jpg

OK i picked up some more snails and hermits since i had a few die.. also picked up another piece of live rock b/c we couldn't get the bubble tip anemone out and a black brittle star would not come out either.. i put the anemone in the tank and it is starting to come out a little. i also bought a koralia 2, Where should i put it and direct the flow in the 55high?