• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

my first 55g SW Tank

htkdkid said:
ds4x4 have you used the filter? if so how do you like it.

no I haven't, I have an Emperor 400 HOB filter.. i'm looking for options on the 55.. LFS has that filter and foster/smith has it on sale for everything $199.. i have seen a couple reviews that were good i just need more to go on than a hand full of "yes it's good"

Looks interesting. It is an airstone driven skimmer which is older technology...seems to be the weak link. Drs Fosters is pretty reliable though and has great turnover wouldn't expect them to have an old model. You could call and ask. It certainly kills several birds with one stone. Good luck and let us know how it works out if you get it.

picked up silversides today from the LFS.. the lady at Acme gave me a weird look when i asked if they had them? i'll give an update and pics when i re-scape and try to get it to eat.. hopefully i can turn the tide for the little guy

great news! i believe i have a RBTA and i can see a little color in some of the arms.. also he ate the silverside no questions asked.. i think he might do fine.. now just to catch all the hermits and re-scape

That's great! Just be careful not to over feed, once every couple of weeks until it's looking buff.

You saw my RBTA, I rarely target feed it, and only with a blast of whatever the fish are getting.

the BTA took a smaller piece of fish and ate it. it's gaining some color back in the tips and now stays open during the day. he is also perched midway in the tank atop the main shelf now. some pics tomorrow of the new setup

a little update.. With two tanks it's hard to know where to start at he beginning of the day :)

BTA
DSCN1567.jpg

DSCN1568.jpg

DSCN1570.jpg

DSCN1573.jpg

DSCN1572.jpg

DSCN1571.jpg

got my 2 softie frags and snails today from MR. Coral.. very impressed with his packaging, not so impressed with Fed-Ex came a day late.. sliced my pinky finger open with my buck knife, I never realized how much i use it to type

can anyone ID the second pic?

Chili Frag
DSCN1591.jpg

?
DSCN1586.jpg

wild guess here but it looks like a some kind of leather/kenya tree that has seen better days. Or is that some powerful flow blowing the coral to look that way?

well it was 2 days in transit thanks to fed-ex. it smelled like the ocean not something rotting and still felt firm not gooey. the Chili had its feeders out when i left for work even in the light

OK thanks, i have to make it your place soon anyways :) What exactly should i be feeding this? I see that it relies on filter for most of its energy and it use's the symbiotic algae within it for only a little. I have phytoplankton from Kent and zooplex. Also i have Liquid calcium, stotium/molybendum. it felt good coming out of the bag so hopefully it will pull through, it is near the flow of the power head which is only 600gph anyway

And the BTA is looking great, starting to gain some length on his tips

I have a ton of flow in my tank and no matter where I put them they look good. I don't feed mine anything special, I target feed some of my corals but the rest live off what the fish don't eat.

Day 10 for the Nem.. Looking better every day .. i feed it very small amounts every other day or three.. it is now getting sticky, before the food would fall off, now it can hold on.. mixing up its diet with silver sides, squid, reef plankton, mussel and mysis, all frozen BTW

Got my red sea skimmer that I paid $25 for.. just need a inlet pipe and i'm golden.. probably gunna buy the AquaC Urchin from Joe and then someone here at work is going to sell me a lot of 10,20,30 gal tanks for $40 and i'll make a sump then order a life reef overflow..

As for the tank.. everything is doing great, Anemone is eating good. brittle star is roaming the tank, peppermint shrimp are starting to come into the light. Kenya tree looks great and if the chili coral would stay upright that is doing great as well.

ds4x4 said:
Day 10 for the Nem.. Looking better every day .. i feed it very small amounts every other day or three.. it is now getting sticky, before the food would fall off, now it can hold on.. mixing up its diet with silver sides, squid, reef plankton, mussel and mysis, all frozen BTW

great work!!!! that is a great sign when the tentacles get sticky again!

Waited A week for the parts to the skimmer to get here.. got here today and No inlet pipe as described on foster/smith.. called them and who knows when it will get here.. so much for plans to get that running