• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My first build thread (29g Biocube)

Update nov 7:

So I was in this little contest and I won a clownfish of my choosing on alpha aquaculture up to $200. Im a little nervous but super excited to add someone into the tank.

I havent picked the clownfish, and I wanted to know some of your guys' suggestions. Theres a ton of different ones to pick from:
Alphaaquaculture.com
I have albert(linear blenny) and the bangaii in the tank, and im staying away tomatos and maroon clownfish cause I heard they were on the more aggressive side.

Ive also been entered in the wild card drawing where i can win a pair, so im crossing my fingers.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Alpha has some amazing clowns so it is going to be easy to find something you like. I agree with staying away from the maroons and tomatos. Most of the hybrids are from percula lines which are generally more peaceful (the oscellaris or false percs are more aggressive) which is good. A pair would be awesome so good luck, if not you can always pair it up after the fact which is not that difficult.

What do you have your eyes on?

Alpha has some amazing clowns so it is going to be easy to find something you like. I agree with staying away from the maroons and tomatos. Most of the hybrids are from percula lines which are generally more peaceful (the oscellaris or false percs are more aggressive) which is good. A pair would be awesome so good luck, if not you can always pair it up after the fact which is not that difficult.

What do you have your eyes on?

I really liked the design on an SA Fancysnow one, and it says its 1.4". But theres so many. Trying to stay away from any more black and white so a few are out of the question already.
Since my tank is a nano, should I be wary of picking one based on how big itll get? Im not really sure about how big some of these clownfish get. Also, albert is sort of a bully. If I get a clownfish will it tame him down since he wont be the "big fish" anymore?

howze01

NJRC Member
It would be just fine in the 29. Not sure if it's a Occ or Perc but either way it will be good in there. Between the Cardinal, blenny and clown you may be getting full as far as fish go.

I wouldnt say full at 3 fish. I think 4 or 5 small fish is comfortable at that size. I like that clown also howze

Sent from my galaxy s4

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Depends on the fish, you could put 15 barnacle blennies in there and probably be fine.

howze01

NJRC Member
I wouldnt say full at 3 fish. I think 4 or 5 small fish is comfortable at that size. I like that clown also howze

Sent from my galaxy s4

Getting full I think. Like you said, a couple smaller fish would be just fine. Now if it ends up being a clown pair, I may stick with what is in there now. Or, like Mike said, Barnacle Blennies. About a million of them. I never had a cooler, more personable fish than them.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I called khris from alpha aquaculture. He was really helpful ! I might be looking into diy social acclimation boxes. Im gonna be checking back again after the wildcard drawing.

I see alot of people do QT tanks, is that sort of the same? Or is that for the fiah to get used to the parameters? What do you guys use ?

George I really like that picasso one!
Howze, I like the bullet hole shadow look !

Thanks meg.

You guys are all so helpful, thank you.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
A QT tank is a completely separate tank that is not plumbed in or connected to your display in and way shape or form. This is done on purpose so that no disease can get from your new fish to your existing fish. People will put the new fish in the QT tank and treat it and make sure it is eating before adding it to the DT. A social acclimation box is a box you put in your existing DT that is made out of acrylic with holes in it that allows the new addition and your old fish to see each other and get used to each other. If there is a ton of aggression, well you might just not want to add the fish. After a few days, you let the new fish free in the tank and hopefully this cuts down on any chasing or aggression.

Update 11/11

I won the second drawing for the alpha aquaculture contest on reef2reef ! I am now able to pick a pair of clownfish of my choosing up to $400 ! I couldnt believe my stroke of luck, and now I get to pick my very first clown pair. Im so blessed and lucky to have been able to participate. I now have the hard decision of picking a pair out. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good pair now? The other pairs they picked for us, but I get to customize !

Contrast jing, picking clownfish is defiantly one of the hardest things to do! Good luck!!

+1

I would narrow down the choices based on the pair's tankmates, personality, aggressiveness, etc. You wouldn't want an overly aggressive pair in a tank full of peaceful fish. Your other fish may jump.

After you narrow it down, pick the pair that looks best to YOU. Good luck and congrats!

I called khris from alpha aquaculture. He was really helpful ! I might be looking into diy social acclimation boxes. Im gonna be checking back again after the wildcard drawing.

I see alot of people do QT tanks, is that sort of the same? Or is that for the fiah to get used to the parameters? What do you guys use ?

George I really like that picasso one!
Howze, I like the bullet hole shadow look !

Thanks meg.

You guys are all so helpful, thank you.

I would suggest checking out how to make a social acclimation box out of a kritter keeper. If you or someone you know is handy or at least has a dremel or something, it doesn't seem too difficult. Either that or a specimen container that hangs on the outside, except placed inside the tank with some holes drilled in it.

You could probably just use an aqulifter to provide water movement inside the Kritter Keeper if you didn't want to bother modifying it. Although if you have to buy an aqualifter, that will negate most of your savings over a pre-made acclimation box.