• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My new 90 gallon

As I type this the oak is outside on my deck with a coat of ebony stain, I can't wait to see the finished product

The stain isn't drying outside, too cold I guess, so I finished it inside, my wife is going ot be thrilled about this haha.

Stage2036.jpg

The plumbing was finished yesterday morning with the help of a friend. I also lowered the lights down 2.5" because it was letting a lot of light into the living room. After messing witht he skimmer for what seemed like hours yesterday I *think* i have it where it should be but maybe someone else can reassure me.

Stage2039.jpg

Stage2044.jpg

Stage2042.jpg

Nice job on the hood and sump. Is the line off the return pump feeding the skimmer or just back that way. I am thinking of doing something similar, my system is making a bit of noise still so thinking of somthing like that.

The return is dumping into the same bay as the skimmer but not directly. I need to put something over the return because its making a lot of bubbles, but the tank is pretty clear so maybe I should let things run the course first and see what happens. Thanks for the comments guys. And Ed I only live about 15 minutes from you if you ever need a hand doing anything let me know.

My noise is pretty low, just the sound of running water but I dont have any vibrations. I am having a hard time getting the skimmer set right though, just when I think I have it the collection cup is full of water. I open the gate valve a little more and the same thing happens. Stan suggested I block the air a little, still the same thing happens. Any ideas?

Joe,

Have both the gate and air fully open for now. See where it equalizes after a few hours, then fine tune it from there.

Joe - what kind of tunzes you have there 6000/6100s? What did you mount the transformers on to - a white piece of 2x4 or something? Just curious.

Do you have a multi-controller for the tunzes?

Did you see if your sand had iron in it also? Don't drop those tunze magnets like I did into the bed...

Love the set up so far!

one quip -on the right hand side of the sump -looks like you put in some filter floss - is that in the water? I can't tell. Just note that it can get dirty in a hurry so just be careful using that.

I had these 2'x4' white ceiling tiles that are a very heavy duty plastic with white fiberglass on both sides. I cut one of them down thinner and glued it to a piece of 1x10 pine. I have about 3 extra 2x4 tiles if you think you can use them. I dont need anymore and would rather not waste them since they are really nice. That is fileter floss but it isnt in the sump it was just sitting on top drying out. I still haven't gotten the skimmer working right yet, not there are small bubbles but they aren't going anywhere. Could be because there is nothing in the water to skim I guess. I'm just going to wait it out for now and see what happens when I get some build up. And they are both 6100 and I do have the multi controller. It's pretty cool and I'm still playing with it. I have the pumps down to 30% power and they still blow sand around. But setting them at full power in sequential mode I was making a huge wave inside the tank

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Joe, you are right, there is nothing in the water to skim out. There is nothing live in there right?

The sand should settle down a bit when you have bacteria in the tank. This has been my experience, however I do not know about that black sand. I assume it will be the same. I do not think that you will ever be able to run those pumps at full throttle though, but you might get a little more out of them later.

Dan was telling me about those tiles, If you still have them please save me 2.

Taz

I added 3 bottles of bio spira today to my tank. From what I ready that will cycle the tank completely. Someone please chime in if I am incorrect. Ocean Gallery II carries them on the shelf, they no longer need to be stored cold