• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My tank thread

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
nice looking tank there, depends on the clowns, some just don't care about nems, i think usually the occelaris, however you spell it, others will go right to it, usually the more aggressive species.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Ok if you guys seen on my other post I ordered a new return pump. The pump is going to be here Friday but I am not rushing to get it installed. I want to take my time and plan this out. My plan is going to be as follow:
* disconnect both my return line and drain line (which are both hoses right now)
* Use PVC as my drain and return line
* Have a PVC line to feeds my reactors (using my return pump)
* Have a PVC line from my reactor return which will split to my filter sock and a line hook up for a drain (use to flush the system if needed)
* Put ball values in the following locations
- On the return line
- On the reactor line
- On the tank drain line
_ On the section of the reactor return which could be used as a flush line
* Paint the PVC (I been reading up and it seem people are painting their with this one brand and have no problem with it in their tank but I am still researching it)
* Thinking of having multiple unions so if needed I could pull everything out

What do you guys think of this plan? I am open to suggestions and inputs.

Also does anyone use any program to design their tanks/sumps/stands? I am testing out Google Sketch

Thanks

I'd definitely use some true union valves in there for maintenance purposes. you never know when you need to take the whole thing apart because a snail got stuck in the piping.
No idea on the paint, somebody else will have to chime in.
Any particular reason for a ball valve on the drain line?
Otherwise, sounds good to me.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@NyteGTI thanks for the input. The reason for the ball value (which I am not 100% sold on) is to beable to close it, disconnect my drain line (for cleaning or anything) and not worry about water coming down for any reason. Again not sold on the ball value there (one of the reasons I am looking to inputs lol)

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I put ball valves on both my drains with the same intention of closing them to do maintenance. I quickly realized that once the return pump is turned off, within two minutes no water comes down the drain lines. The other issue, I can't close them now if I wanted to....they are "locked" open, probably from stuff precipitating or growing on the balls. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't put valves on the drain lines.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@redfishbluefish thanks for the information. I didn't even think that might happen so good to know. I knew that once my return is powered off the water would stop going down (once it drops below the overflow) my concern was during me working on cleaning the pump getting turned on or something else happening but then I also thought about it the other way (close it, do my cleaning, turn system back on and forget to open the value)

horseplay

NJRC Member
Ball valve is good enough. Gate value when you want to VERY FINE tune the flow. A good gate valve is expensive.

Echo Ryan on the unions. I have a union right at the pump output so I can remove and replace pump easily. I have an identical pump as a backup. Really easy for someone else to change when I am out of town.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Thanks for @Reefabout for the sweet nem. I been wanting a new nem and today I got a chance to check out his store. He had this nem at a price I couldn't passed up. Like @art13 said Reefabout store is nice so if your down in the AC area def stop by. Also nice to meet you and hope to be back soon.

20160527_155237.jpg

Hey buddy... I bumped into you on the way out of Reefabout. Your nem looks good... I went only to test some water but couldn't resist emptying my pocket befor leaving. Picked up 2 nems, 2 shrooms,dosing pumps. Tried telling the wife what I payed but she didn't believe me