• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mynd's Aquapod - 01.07.07

Wow Mynd, everything looks terrific!

Are you happy with that chiller / heater unit?

I'm just curious, especially after just spending more $$ replacing fans and power supplies for both my fans and for my ICA chiller itself. All of which are under a year old. I need to go back in this thread to look, but I think between the initial costs for my ICA chiller and now the replacements I may very well be close to what you spent. :-\ Now I realize it is a somewhat bulky item and I would have to drill my hood, but heck I had to chop out some of the splash shield anyway. I would have had a much better unit overall I think had I gone with your set up.

OK, gotta go read the first post again! ;)

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the kind words.. It makes this addiction all the more rewarding.. :D

@Reef, I could not be happier with the chiller. It takes care of itself, it keeps the water within the proper temperature range perfectly during the summer and even though I don't need to, I added a 50w stealth heater during the winter months just so the chiller / heater does not have to use 200w of built in heating itself. I prefer the 50 watter to be on a little longer and actually heat the water moving past it, rather then 200w coming on every 10 minutes for 2 minutes at a time. Having the stealth heater in there also makes the temperature swing smaller during the winter months once you dial it in correctly. The chiller has a 2degree thermostat where the heater has a 1 degree thermostat. It all evens out. Overall I am really glad I did it, even with the small issue I had with the connectors that was taken care of promptly by pacific coast.

P4020007a.jpg

P4020010a.jpg

P4190009a.jpg

P4190018a.jpg

Hello All,

Well, it's been a month, well more then a month I think.. However, this last month was not so great. Unfortunately my father passed away on 4/26/08. He went in his sleep. The tough time was going to Florida, packing things up and bringing him home, getting things settled and putting together the wake, funeral, food and airforce honors in a couple days after driving my mom home from Florida that Monday morning. I was hoping my dad would get the chance to see the tank after all the changes and growth, but I guess he can see it from where he is anyhow. It would have been nice just to have him here. :(

With that being said. Enjoy the new photos. There are lots of them this time. Yes, I know I show the same photos from time to time, but its all about progress. :D These are for you dad.

P5060003d.jpg

P5060003a.jpg

P5060002a.jpg

P5060004a.jpg

P5060006a.jpg

P5060008c.jpg

P5060009a.jpg

P5060010a.jpg

P5060015a.jpg

P5060016a.jpg

P5070002a.jpg

P5080001a.jpg

P5080005a.jpg

P5080007a.jpg

P5080008a.jpg

P5080009a.jpg

P5060006b.jpg

Oh here is one more I just had to post. This is so amazing at night. I assure you this is almost exactly what it looks like under the moonlights

P5030001a.jpg

Stephen....My condolences to you and your family on the loss of your Dad...PM sent

Your tank is amazing with its beautiful, rare and VERY Healthy animals. Thanks for sharing.

Dom

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I am sure your dad was always proud of you (and your tank) you are a hell of nice guy. Great pictures your rics are really growing. Is that a king's crown snail? You need to come cut this lawn of GSP I have for you or I can try and get it up to you one of these days.

Thanks for the replies everyone.. I really appreciate the responses. No matter what happens in my life.. I know I still have my reefing family to fall back on.. Thanks!

I have a couple photos that I was able to take with my neighbors point and shoot. No photo editing was done.

Enjoy

IMG_1193a.jpg

IMG_1190a.jpg

IMG_1195a.jpg

IMG_1192a.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Great photos, Stephen. Time for a new FTS, I think!

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Hello there,

Well it has been a month, about.. Thanks for the kind words and I appreciate you taking the time to look. Tank is going well. I have since changed to use one set of products and I could not be happier. Ever since starting with Seachem Reef Salt my parameters have been great. However, as with most smaller tanks that have 40 corals in it there is a depletion of elements. I currently use all SEACHEM products and could not be happier.

Seachem Reef Salt,
Seachem ReefStatus Magnesium and Alkalinity Borate Test Kit
Seachem ReefStatus Calcium Test Kit
Seachem Aqua Vitro Balance
Seachem Aqua Vitro Eight.Four
Seachem Aqua Vitro ION
and Occassionally
Seachem Aqua Vitro Calcification

I still dose 1ml of Strontium/Molybdenum weekly and 1ml of phyto. I currently do a water change every Saturday of 3 gallons out of 15 with the help of my wonderful wife.

Thanks for taking the time to look at our tank. Enjoy!

P5220011a.jpg

P6070012a.jpg

P6070017a.jpg

P6070019a.jpg

P6070008m.jpg

P6070004a.jpg

P6090007a.jpg

P6130026a.jpg

P6130023a.jpg

P6130009a.jpg

P6130012a.jpg

Don "CRAB" King

P6130019a.jpg

PS... Here is a full tank shot from yesterday.. I had not mounted the new frags yet. So for what it is worth..

P6090011a.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks fantastic! Keep up the good work. Interesting concept of using one brand of products. Seems like it would be a very well integrated approach. Seems to be working well, if one could judge by the looks!

WOW! Reality Nano TV for sure! WHAT a great thread ... Mynd, you have the patience of a saint! I couldn't wait 24 hours, let alone months and months. But your tank is spectacular! We may have the same AquaPod ... but I'm certain mine will never, ever be as rich in color, nor as diverse and certainly not as spec-on healthy. But I'll try ...

Wow, what a tank. Also, great getting to know you a bit too, wonderful thread ...

:eek: Tank is looking awesome!!

Really starting to fill in.

Wow, just beautiful. Keep up the great work. 8)

( and keep those great pics coming too! ) ;D

Thanks everyone.. I know I just updated, but I had to put this new addition in my tank up here. I just love this coral.. A very good friend sold this too me. Sorry about the crappy photo ( could be better ) but you get the point.. This is called ( drum roll please )

BLUE'S CLUES

P7030002a.jpg

mynd said:
Thanks everyone.. I know I just updated, but I had to put this new addition in my tank up here. I just love this coral.. A very good friend sold this too me. Sorry about the crappy photo ( could be better ) but you get the point.. This is called ( drum roll please )

BLUE'S CLUES

P7030002a.jpg
:eek: :( Thanx, I think I just ruined my lap top by drooling into the keyboard.......

Beautiful frag mynd! congrats on the score!

Very sweet indeed. 8)

LOL! I am still drooling.. have to keep a towel with me at all times... I hope you guys actually read these things I write when you look at the photos cause I have a ? for you this time. Closing in on a year as well with my tank. The 19th of this month will be one year old :D Here are some photos and then the question I need answered. PS. I really hope if you think the tank colors could be improved or if something looks bleached that you would tell me. I prefer the truth rather then when people just tell you that your tank looks great when it don't. So when you answer the question let me know what you think as well.

TOP DOWN DURING WC:

P7120002b.jpg

P7120003b.jpg

SMUCKERS FRAG AFTER WC:

P7120008a.jpg

NEW FRAG RECEIVED 14 DAYS AGO:

P7030002a.jpg

NEW FRAG 14 DAYS LATER:

P7120002a.jpg

QUESTION:

Keep in mind that the frag from 14 days ago was closed up, so you can't see the purple in the frag 14 days later cause it is really open now. Do you think the color of the frag has changed? If so, has it gotten lighter? Bleaching? Do you think that my light on the tank is too close to it at only 14" away from the bulb? Do you think the colors in the tank are good or could be more vibrant. Please be honest. I know the camera does not say it all cause of the white balance, but most of the photos I take are not modified at all other then size and uploaded. Let me know what you think.. Thanks!

Hmmm, tough call.

Bleaching?, or slightly less / softer looking colors as a result of greater polyp extension? Some of my original acans look very vibrant when retracted and much less so when fully extended.

I have been struggling with similar thoughts myself Mynd. A recent trip to JerseyWendy's house has me craving a lighting upgrade something awe-full. The colors just jump out at you as soon as you enter Wendy's beautiful home. She has a sweet array of T-5's over her tank with a mix of K and actinics that put my 2 x 150MH to shame....

Anyway, sorry to ramble. I also have noticed some acan and micro frags I have picked up take a month or two to really settle in. Some regain the original color I saw at first and some seem to morph a bit.

IMO, your tank does look fantastic. That said, we are at the mercy of your camera and our monitors, so only you and those who have seen your tank IRL know what it REALLY looks like

I think many of us struggle with trying to find that optimal lighting combo for our systems. Unfortunately I am far too inexperienced to offer any more info here, so I'll just keep quiet now. :)

Oh, and Happy Birthday to the tank! ( now I'll keep quiet ) ::)