• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New 420 gal Plus reef tank build in m y sunroom

Well for over 30 years I have had fish only tanks up to 125 gal. For the last 8 years I have had a 90 gal tank. and over the last 6 months adding live coral to my 90 gal. I always wanted a big tank and took the plumge! I am having a new 420 gal tank built. Expecting tank to be shipped in the next week, It is a 108x30x30 DSA all glass tank with 2" drains and 4 external returns

I all ready have a Vivid Aquarium custom 72x24x24 - 180 gal sump delivered last week The sump will have a refugium and 2 skimmers along with a carbon/GFI setup. I have 6 Radion Pros with 5 Vortech pumps, 2 snapper dart external pumps, a 1.5KW inline heater, a Apex Gold controller,2 part dosing pumps, a 65 gal custom RODI holding tank with auto top off and more goodies, including 3 holding tanks 90 gal each in basement, 1 for RODI, another for salt changes and a additional 90 gal salt for being added to total tank volume bring total volume to almost 600 gallons. The plumbing will be all schedule 80 valves with some colored schedule 40 plumbing to show different effect of the returns and create a "custom" look.I also have 2 JB frag tanks and 2 quarantine tanks in basement for the new tank corals and fish I intend to add.

I will start posting build pics of the tank, equipment and all plumbing as I get the build done along with a custom cabinet surround the steel stand.

This will be a fun project Figuring out the Apex controller is my weak link for sure.:tongue:

Last edited:
Love the tank dimensions and am looking forward to seeing this come together. It may seem a little intimidating at first but the Apex setup really isn't that bad once you get the hang of it. Just take it one function at a time and don't forget that you can snag a lot of the code from their forums.

Awesome tank coming. Can't wait to see it come together. I'll second what mike said about the apex as well. And with the new fusion interface in place now it really makes setup a much easier process. Good luck with the build

Karenvas2

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow! That sounds like a monster set up. Can't wait to see pics. Good luck and keep us posted.

This sounds great and a massive build. Don't worry about the Apex, there is a lot of support. I think people try to tackle the fun stuff such as lighting profiles first, before understanding the basics. Do the simple things, pumps, heaters, float switches and when comfortable with that go for the more complex things.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sweet! That's a huge tank and really looking forward to seeing some pics of the build when you can.

Where do you live? Maybe some of us live near you and can give you a hand or stop by to give you some ideas. :encouragement:

That is huge...I wouldn't worry about the Apex though you might need a half a dozen of them. How much does the tank itself weigh?

Well confirmed tank being shipped on the 25th...yes

Here is pic of the 180 gal vivid aquarium new sump, custom 65 gal auto top off tank and just some of my boxes of equipment,
I am located in West Deptford....so once I get tank, certainly anyone from here is welcome to stop by.
20141021_184035.jpg20141021_184052.jpg20141021_184133.jpg20141021_184239.jpg

Mike looks great this is going to be a great build
I'm right around the corner from you so if you need a hand let me know

Thanks Dan, Will reach out to everyone once tank gets here in another week or so and I get it set in place. Since I am a contractor, I added a beam to insure the floor carried the weight easily, added a new tile floor with concrete board, and an emergency floor drain just for safe measures. I am adding a PVC type liner over the tile too, and it will wrap up the steel stand. Never want any leaks all over the place. Put some thought into the build...but it will take me time...not rushing it.

More goodies arrived... My 3 90 gal tanks for the basement...one for the system, one for the fresh RODI and one for the salt mixing. The boxes are the ESV salt and more plumbing fittings....all schedule 80. Too many boxes!

20141022_131600.jpg20141022_131623.jpg