• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New 420 gal Plus reef tank build in m y sunroom

Getting the tank together...slow but sure. My actuators for the canopy lift are in...now to get that built. Still waiting for 114 watt UV and some more fittings.

r20141117_122856.jpg20141117_122837.jpg20141117_122827.jpg

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This build looks phenominal! Love the pictures...looks real clean. But I do have to question, why schedule 80. We have nothing that comes close to the pressures rated for schedule 80. You lose internal diameter when using schedule 80.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Very well thought out build. What are the pipes and hate valves up top? Returns possibly?

I went with schedule 80 mainly for the valves. I hate the schedule 40 valves. The pipe is small amounts so the costs were minimal. With 2 snapper dart pumps... plenty of flow exists. I liked using colored piping available in the 80 easily to separate the left and right side turns. The gate valves are for the returns... all 4.

fisheye

NJRC Member
Mike, it is looking very good. Just a thought. If you have to clean the check valve after the heater, there will be some water from the pipe. Not sure how often you have to do that.

-Peter

Mike, it is looking very good. Just a thought. If you have to clean the check valve after the heater, there will be some water from the pipe. Not sure how often you have to do that.

-Peter
Peter,

Nothing is glued yet...this was my first thought of the check valve placement. I am waiting for the UV to get here as I have a feeling I may need to re-route some things. I have unions everywhere and I also installed a liner over my tile floor and have a floor drain under the tank, so any water from any pipes heads to the drain on the PVC liner. I have check valves I could add to the individual 1" returns. Very open to input...thanks.

Slowly I am getting every thing in and its starting to look good. Have a few pipes to redo as I want them. The media reactor and 114 watt UV are in as well as dosing pumps. Hope to have it all plumbed by tomorrow. I have to then glue everything. Then I have the basement tanks to plumb in. The canopy lift will be next to build, then the custom cabinet.

Here are some more build pics.

20141122_152211.jpg20141122_152226.jpg20141122_152241.jpg20141122_152258.jpg

If you are into it, a buddy of mine did it himself. Cabinet doors came pre hung and he just had to put it together and cut the molding.

If you are into it, a buddy of mine did it himself. Cabinet doors came pre hung and he just had to put it together and cut the molding.

I dont want to build this...don't have the time and I want a custom cabinet furniture look...unless all I get are crazy numbers. That cuts into my coral budget...::upset: That I cant have!