• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New 90 Gallon Reef setup. - Going to need alot of advice.

Hey i went to AO and wow what a really nice place... tanks were immaculate. All the fish looked happy and healthy. I love that they have all the fish listed on the glass with name, price and date they arrived. Beautiful corals.... man I was so blown away that I forgot to get the Safety Stop... but the fish had been there since th 3rd and looked really healthy so I think I'm good... acclimated for about 3 hours and then fed my fish and put him in.... he's loving life...swimming in and out of all the caves and eating his little heart out... not an inch of rock has been spared his bristle teeth...lol

Sorry for the delay... Work is just ridiculous lately.... I shot a quick video of the tank tonight... it's dirty... just fed... overall everything is going great at the moment. [video=youtube_share;CKTsLS2csH0]http://youtu.be/CKTsLS2csH0[/video]

I was looking into upgrading my pumps... with the Maxspect Gyre XF150. Right now I have my main return mag 9.5, 4 Koralia Nanos, 1 Tunze Turbelle and some movement from a Top Fin 60... total GPH is 4050 for my 90 gallon dt plus a 25 gallon sump and 15 gallon refuge for a total of 130 Gallons... so ~40x turnover... what do you guys think about the 150.. (5000gph)... should I bother to upgrade? It would get me about 1000gph extra, look better than having 5 power heads and most importantly, supposedly no dead spots... What do you guys think?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I was looking into upgrading my pumps... with the Maxspect Gyre XF150. Right now I have my main return mag 9.5, 4 Koralia Nanos, 1 Tunze Turbelle and some movement from a Top Fin 60... total GPH is 4050 for my 90 gallon dt plus a 25 gallon sump and 15 gallon refuge for a total of 130 Gallons... so ~40x turnover... what do you guys think about the 150.. (5000gph)... should I bother to upgrade? It would get me about 1000gph extra, look better than having 5 power heads and most importantly, supposedly no dead spots... What do you guys think?

I think a combination of pumps is the right way to go. The gyre will add a ton of flow and you can probably pull some of the other powerheads. Keep them and see how the gyre performs, and than augment the flow with what you have.

That's kind of what I was thinking because of different corals needing different flow... but I wasn't sure if the Gyre would just overpower anything I put in... if that makes any sense... LOL!

Hey guys, my wife surprised me for my birthday with a few additions. Can someone ID/Verify these...
polyp.jpgmushroom.jpgrose.jpgpolyp2.jpgpolyp3.jpg

I know the rosetip, and i know the one is a mushroom Neon green ... and the other two look like polyps... the one has three branches and the polyp colors are green and blue... the other is a small frag looks lavendar...

Hey guys... it's been a couple of weeks since I last posted... Tank is going great... after a water change today I will post some pics...
I have a question about my fuge... it is a separate tank and I have about 2+ inches of sand and I put in a baseball size chunk of chaeto... I also added in some copepods and amphipods... the chaeto died... turned brown and withered away... but now I have all this other stuff growing in there and while I want to go get some more chaeto now that I have a proper light for the fuge.... i am wondering if i should shut down the fuge or clean this stuff out of there or is it beneficial and normal.. here are some pics...
fuge1.jpgfuge2.jpgfuge3.jpgfuge4.jpg

Cyano... that's bad right... should I get it out before I add the Cheato... ? should I disconnect my fuge... will the cyano spread?
Grey... I might take you up on that... LOL!

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
chaeto dying is a good thing IMOP lol
It means your system is nutrient poor which is a good unless you have a lot of softies in your tank.

Detritus(poop & leftover food) feeds algae most of us don't want to feed algae so if it's dying it means your keeping up with your nutrient export by proper skimming and water changes(detritus removal by siphoning). (found on another forum) and what lighting does it use..