• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New 90 Gallon Reef setup. - Going to need alot of advice.

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
I agree with Chris what are your water parameters saying? Also I'm not a big fan of sand in the fuge it becomes a detritus sink and causes al sorts of problems. Chaetomorpha needs light like any other plant, a cfl will do the trick, perhaps coming on and off the opposite of your display tank. My chaetomorpha dwindled to almost nothing, I switched to caulerpa (Thanks sunny) that grows modestly. I also added amphipods and copepods to it.

Got for a b-day present... can i put it in the sand or better on a rock.. have on a rock but only two heads are fully extending and one underneath really isn't... looks healthy but just not extending... should I direct feed?

Info from live aquaria
The Flowerpot Coral is often referred to as Daisy Coral, Ball Coral, or Sunflower Coral. All of the flower references are because of its appearance when all of its polyps are opened. It takes on the visage of a bouquet of flowers. It is the rounded or ball-shaped variety and should not be confused with its branching relatives. It is not overly aggressive, but space should still be provided between itself and other neighboring corals. Its polyps can extend far past its base into the reef aquarium, where it can sting other species of corals.

Being a moderately difficult coral to care for and requires moderate lighting combined with moderate water movement within the aquarium. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water.

The symbiotic algae zooxanthellae hosted within its body provides the majority of its nutritional requirements from the algae's light driven process of photosynthesis. It will also benefit from additional food in the form of micro-plankton or brine shrimp. Clownfish will often be found in association with the Flowerpot Coral and play in its polyps if no anemone can be found in the reef aquarium.

[video]https://youtu.be/XQ5QnJuSqwg[/video]
Hey guys i threw up a small video so you can see the coral and how some of the branches aren't extending.
Thanks

Hey guys...quick question. The tank is doing great... but I noticed on my two largest pieces of live rock that are on top of each other...there seems to be like cobwebs. I use the power heads to blow the rocks clean and the next day they're back... is that algae or is it a food catching mechanism of some critter I can't see...? I can take a pic If needed....

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Do you see small little tubes....about 1/16 inch diatmeter? If so, these are vermetid snails....that can't move like a conventional snail. They put out sweeper tenticles that look web-like. Do a search on vermetid snails and look at the images. That's my guess.

It's gone now but I'll take a video tomorrow and post... looks like regular cobwebs you see in a corner just lighter. Food particles get caught in it and it sometimes folds on itself around the food... if I blow even a little water from my baster it blows away. My wife saw a pink worm a few weeks ago...coming on and out of a small hole between the rock and sand border... I caught a glimpse but then we haven't seen him since.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here are the "cobwebs" from a vermetid snail taken from THIS article.

image009.jpg