• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Posting my tank build (if anyone cares)

Baxreefs said:
Is Foam Core like Gator Board?

.... And I care, but your patients is freak'n me out! I need fish and stuff! :eek:

lol. ditto. there are a couple of members that have the patients of a buddhist monk and it freaks me out too.

Well i dont know what gator board is :-[. And its not patients Its lack O loot that is slowing me down. And I dont know what pumps to buy so Im researching so I dont buy 3 pumps to end up with one.Next Im building my Closed loop system. Also I think the new Camaro is going to slow me down even more if that's possible. Need to save for the convert coming out in a year. ;D HEY it' s father's day coming up HMMMMMM. ;D

well got the tank running and all the level's seem good in the overflow the sump and display. Had one problem I added a hose for a temp fix to get a flow from the display not realizing that I put the hose to far down in the tank about 12 inches. Well the tank ran for an hour and a half, I go up stairs to get a drink and one of my kids unplugged the pump by accident (that I had running via an extension cord ) they plugged it back in but a new pump with new seals tend to stick and need a jump. well my weep holes aside the hose drained the display into my sump an overflowed it all over my basement. Not too bad because I built the worlds biggest sump LOL. but still had about 30 gals. on the floor. But it is running and Im leaving it run all weekend for a short run test if all goes good I will be in the market for some live rock and live sand to start a cycle. well that is my "up date" as of today. pump does get hot but not that hot I don't know what is normal I have a Reeflo pump.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Lord Viper said:
well got the tank running and all the level's seem good in the overflow the sump and display. Had one problem I added a hose for a temp fix to get a flow from the display not realizing that I put the hose to far down in the tank about 12 inches. Well the tank ran for an hour and a half, I go up stairs to get a drink and one of my kids unplugged the pump by accident (that I had running via an extension cord ) they plugged it back in but a new pump with new seals tend to stick and need a jump. well my weep holes aside the hose drained the display into my sump an overflowed it all over my basement. Not too bad because I built the worlds biggest sump LOL. but still had about 30 gals. on the floor. But it is running and Im leaving it run all weekend for a short run test if all goes good I will be in the market for some live rock and live sand to start a cycle. well that is my "up date" as of today. pump does get hot but not that hot I don't know what is normal I have a Reeflo pump.

Bobb,
Glad to hear it is up and running. At least your tank overflowed into your basement. Mine went all over my living room floor, Pergo too. About 30 gallons also. :-[

What kind of Reeflo did you get? I got the Hammerhead, mine doesnt' get too hot. In fact, I think I may have to put another heater in the sump this winter to keep the temp high enough. But on the plus side I don't think I will need a chiller.

Good luck with the rock and sand and aquascaping. The fun begins. ;D

Erna

Ooo someone cares, LOL I've picked up the Reflo dart seems pretty capable noticed a lot of folks used so figured that's the pump for me. problem with the overflowing in the basement is it does have carpet that seems to be letting of an oder may have to rip it up and put down new but not till I get some bugs out. I did buy it at Homecheapo for only 200. about 5 yrs ago so ahh no big deal. Would have prob. would have shot my self if it was on the pergo in the living room.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Lord Viper said:
Ooo someone cares, LOL

LOL. You're funny. Build a dam around the sump and don't put the carpet back! A dehumidifier is also a must if you're going to be keeping carpet in the basement. Otherwise you'll get a musty smell just from the evap.

Lord Viper said:
REMOVABLE BACKGROUND

Ok, I saw this on Someone's tank don't remember who it was but if it was you thank's for a great idea thought I would share it. I thought this was so ingenius. I found In the trash today at work (yes Im a dumpster diver when the need arises) (and I can save loot) Ok it was on top so don't hate me :p. Ok, I found what's called Foam core with a black matte finish it's about a 1/4 inch thick. I brought it home and made a removable background for my tank. I cut the pieces so they fit snug in between the stand and tank trim on top. I don't need any fastner's at all and the best part is there removable so I will be able to see what's going on behind my live rock and coral. Also what's found it's way into my overflow. Here's some pic's If you care.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk148/LordViper743/Backdrop1removed.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk148/LordViper743/Backboardtank.jpg

Glad I wandered back over. I didn't want to paint my tank, but I need a background untill the coralline grows. I didn't know foamcore came in black. I was tinking of getting some and painting it. Problem solved!

Glad things are moveing along.

I don't know what MikeNapoli has against buddhist monks, though. ::)

Feel the love. God I love attention. ;D Well had to remove the carpet it had a horad smell coming from it and I think It killed one of my birds. Not sure though. I think I'm going to use those carpet squares 12x12 size so there replaceable. Oh I have the smallest little leak in the sump so out it comes again to get resealed. Bobb

I ve got 450.00 of base rock and it looks like Ive got nothing I like how it looks but cant stack it right. It justs looks like a stack of rocks :-\

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Try stacking it with lots of caves in it. Stand some on edge then build on top of that.

I am looking for a local source of 1/4" or 3/8" sheets of PVC. You can get it online, but the shipping makes it pricy. I hope to solvent weld 2" and smaller PVC pipe as legs and stands to the sheets and place that on the bottom of the tank then prop the rock up on that. I used egg crate last time for the 120 and although I feel strongly about spreading the weight we put in these glass tanks with some sort of base, I won't use egg crate again. I think the critters get to the detritus well enough, but the egg crate itself seems to grow red slime like crazy! So it's out of my system as I can remove it.

Anyway, you could do something simlar with clear acrylic. What ever you do, it'll be coverd over pretty quickly so don't fret too much over that "natural" look of a support structure it'll look great soon enough. Focus on what pleases you for your coral placement and hiding places for your fish.

Lord Viper said:
I was thinking of using those little milk crates you can buy then stack my rock on that any thoughts?

Look at my build thread, I used PVC pipe to make a cave frame and to support columns. Very happy with it, it's more stable than my old "pile it up and pray" method.

malulu

NJRC Member
jimroth said:
Lord Viper said:
I was thinking of using those little milk crates you can buy then stack my rock on that any thoughts?

Look at my build thread, I used PVC pipe to make a cave frame and to support columns. Very happy with it, it's more stable than my old "pile it up and pray" method.

I did the same thing (PVC pipe with tie-wrap), over time, you won't notice the frame much...
this picture was taken after 2 months after i setup the frame.

332_18_03_07_10_05_34.gif

Did some rock work thank you all for the help. really helped get me motivated. its not all in the right spots just letting the epoxy dry for now. but you can see the basic structures. got home early tonite so I attacked. Then I got hungry (work over).

Well here is the base done. now I need to wait for my booster pump for the RO so I can make water fast enuf. Then get some Live rock.