• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Potter anyone?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Has anyone seen the new Harry Potter movie? If so, did you like it...so far it seems that everyone thinks its excellent. I can't wait to see it and then dive into that last book.

No Spoilers Please!!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I can't wait to get the last book (on tape). Though I have to say, the last book was really awful. I still have that morbid curiousity in a Sopranos sort of fashion.

I haven't seen the latest movie... we don't typically see them until they hit video (unless it is a kids movie for the under 8 crowd)!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The story line was ok but her technique was awful. I'd have to listen to it again to be able to point out exactly what I didn't like about how her writing style has turned changed (for the worse) over the books. John didn't even bother reading it.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah, I have to agree (and not for the obvious reason!)

I really like the last book, and was pretty shocked by the ending...I'm still wondering if it really was "the end" for Dumbledore...

The only thing I can see as Soprano-ish is that she may just start killing everyone off, I really hope that isn't the case...That's always a cheesey way to end a story.

This is how I spent my time recovering, I read all six books in 3 weeks!

I liked the last two the best, but found them very frustrating as well. The thing that bothered me the most about the last book, other than losing my favorite wizard, was Harry's attitude. He reminded me a lot of my son's cranky attitude. ;D

I hope to catch the movie this weekend and then I'll fight the lines for the last book next week.

Maybe the difference was hearing it read to you on tape.
I didn't think her style changed. The only thing I thought changed was the attitude of the kids but they are in prime teen cranky years.

ReefDrumz said:
Has anyone seen the new Harry Potter movie? If so, did you like it...so far it seems that everyone thinks its excellent. I can't wait to see it and then dive into that last book.

No Spoilers Please!!

Wait, you are going to see the move and then read the book ??? ??? Way wrong way to do things. :(

Isn't the release tomorrow (13th) ? Somehow, for some reason, I liked the order of Phoenix the least of all books. It portrayed Harry in worst possible ways - idiotic spoiled brat, so that I almost liked the Snape better then him :)

Phyllis, that is very interesting what you have said. Because, I see it completely differently. I agree that the style has changed, but I find it that it has changed for better. I was wandering if your feeling about the books is because of how she has developed the Harry's character, which I see as a sign of maturity of writing (not maturity of character). For example, while in first books Harry is a boy genius, as the books go, she is slashing Harry more and more, so that in last books he is, comparatively, well behind some of other characters. Also, type and complexity of the problems are maturing through the books. As for the messing with our heads :eek: , that is something I find most rewarding from any author in whichever art form it is exhibited. But then, that is me :)

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What I meant was, I was going to See the movie Order of the Phoenix and then read the NEW book Deathly Hollows (which is a terrible name by the way)

This is going to be really a hot toppic ;) . By the time I typed my reply 5 other posts rushed in :)

And while I was typing this reefdrumz replied ;D, so it is 6

Hello there,

Saw the movie last night at the 8pm showing. Personally I thought it was a great movie. You have to consider what that means. Personally I think that in the first 4 or whatever movies that Harry cries to much. At times I wonder if he is a man or not. Also, I have not read any of the books so I really can't be disappointed. I know enough to get me through.

Overall, I would go see it again. In fact I wanted to go right back into the theater and watch it from a different perspective. The second time around I just look for all the little things I missed the first time. ( aka.. what pictures are doing, what is going on in the room with the other students, etc... )

Great Movie, More to my liking, Excellent.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I heard them all on tape, and I LOVE the reader, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. It isn't the character development, I enjoyed that. There's something extremely repetitive in her writing style if I recall, which has become accentuated in the 6th book. Now I'm going to have to go figure out what it was so that I can explain my position. I'm going from memory of a book I listened to a year ago!

ReefDrumz said:
What I meant was, I was going to See the movie Order of the Phoenix and then read the NEW book Deathly Hollows (which is a terrible name by the way)

:)

I never liked any of her titles, and this one is so Agatha Christie ("The Hollow" and fifty other titles with Death in it). But since her books are over 500 pages, I forgive her. ;D I guess that with the rise of her fame and such exuberant expectations of her books, she tries to hide any kind of advanced clues about what is going to happen and yet arouse our curiosity and maybe even play some kind of misdirection (which is so Agatha, again :D) like in the last book.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The reason I stopped Reading/listening to them was I got extremely bored at her attempts to fill pages with inane nonsense. The one example I can think of off the top of my head (and I know there were many many more) was in the book where they all went to the quiditch(sp) world cup or whatever it was. Instead of coming up with one or two cute/cleaver advertisers names, she came up with 20 or so. Oh and I thought of another; when they go to that candy shop, she doesn't come up with one or two cleaver names for candies or novelties. She comes up with 20 of them. To me (and this is just my opinion) she bores me to tears with that garbage. They're not that witty and it detracts from the over all story, mainly because she does it way too often.

The last book I read was the Order of the Phoenix and to me (again my opinion) it went absolutely nowhere and took 700 pages to get there. I guess what I didn't realize was that the ONLY villain there would ever be was Vauldemort. I was hoping that she would move on from him and bring in others. When I realized it was going to be at least 7 or 8 books before there was any closure I lost all my enthusiasm for them.

It's too bad because I really liked the series and really wanted to enjoy the last few books but she killed it for me.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
One other thing, this is a rare instance where I actually like the movies more than the books. The movies cut out all of the dumb stuff.

I think you should consider the audience is for early teenagers, not adults. I feel that justifies most of your comments regarding the candy, etc.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Have you ever tried those Bertie Bott's every flavor beans?

Some of them are really gross!

If my wife ever sees this thread I doubt I'll ever get ahold of the laptop again ;D
She's a Potter nut!

We haven't seen it yet, maybe next week sometime.

On a side note, Transformers was an incredible movie from start to finish, I'm sure there's a few of us here that grew up with them and to see them come to life like that was just amazing. Even if you've never heard of Transformers, it'd still be an awesome movie to checkout.