• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Potter anyone?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I just finished last night...I really liked this book! Although it is kind of sad that's it's over.

I'm sorry it's over as well! ::)

I need a new series to read. I'm a big Tolkien fan, but I've read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy about a dozen times.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking about the Narnia Chronicles.

For those of us who are done, maybe we can get a password protected thread just for us! ;D

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I was thinking of creating a forum for the already-reads to participate in. The only problem with that is I've not finished and I think I'd have access by default! Ack!

If you liked the Lord of the Rings then you'll like the Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. The "first" book is Homeland. It is actually the 4th book he wrote, but it is the prequel to the series he wrote first.

Phyl said:
If you liked the Lord of the Rings then you'll like the Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. The "first" book is Homeland. It is actually the 4th book he wrote, but it is the prequel to the series he wrote first.

Really, I read something by him way back and remember I felt like I was playing D&D. I seem to remeber lots of references to hit points of damage and other game specific terms.

I'll have to give it a try, although I'm more of a high elf type.

BTW, anyone out there ever play Warhammer? I always wanted to get into that. Talk about being a GEEK! :eek:

debfife said:
I'll be finished tomorrow. I'm saving what I have left for the three hours of sitting at the lab :(

Someone is going for a glucose tolerence test! ;D

I love drinking that syrup! Then again I'm a needle using sugar addict!

finished my audio version of it yesterday. quite good. If anyone is jonesin
for another magic/fantasy type book, I enjoyed Eion Colfer - Artemis Fowl
and Robert Stanek -The kingdom of the elves.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
blange3 said:
Really, I read something by him way back and remember I felt like I was playing D&D. I seem to remeber lots of references to hit points of damage and other game specific terms.

You sure you have the right guy? I've read just about everything by him and I don't remember anything like that. You really have to give Homeland a shot. No D&D stuff AT ALL. He introduces a new race of beings in this series that has been incorporated into the whole genre.

The one thing I think you'd like about it, Bill, is that there are some pretty deep religious and philosophical introspections done by the main character that you don't ordinarily find in these types of books.

blange3 said:
Phyl said:

BTW, anyone out there ever play Warhammer? I always wanted to get into that. Talk about being a GEEK! :eek:

I really liked the Dark Elf Trilogy and highly recommend it. I think you would really like it Bill. I've read so many fantasy books it's hard for me to remember them. I'll go through some of my books at home and see if I can find some more series I can recommend.

And yes, I have played Warhammer the board game quite a lot. I think I still have some of the books and knight army pieces I painted somewhere.

Right now I'm playing Lord of the Rings Online (my son got it for me for my birthday :) ) so I haven't really been doing any reading, although playing the game is like living through the books. It's pretty cool seeing all the places and meeting the people I read about.

JohnS_323 said:
You sure you have the right guy? I've read just about everything by him and I don't remember anything like that. You really have to give Homeland a shot. No D&D stuff AT ALL. He introduces a new race of beings in this series that has been incorporated into the whole genre.

The one thing I think you'd like about it, Bill, is that there are some pretty deep religious and philosophical introspections done by the main character that you don't ordinarily find in these types of books.

Yep, From wikipedia:

"Drizzt Do'Urden (IPA: [dʒɹɪtst ˌdoʊˈɝdɪn]) is a fictional character in the Dungeons & Dragons-based Forgotten Realms setting. As a non-archetypal drow, Drizzt has forsaken both the evil ways of his people and their home (in the Underdark, in the drow city of Menzoberranzan). Drizzt is one of the most well-known heroic characters of the Forgotten Realms. He was originally intended to be Wulfgar's "sidekick" in The Icewind Dale Trilogy; during the writing of said trilogy, however, R. A. Salvatore thought it became obvious that Drizzt would become the real main character for the series.

Drizzt's story is told in the fantasy novels of Salvatore, including The Icewind Dale Trilogy, The Dark Elf Trilogy, the Legacy of the Drow series, the Paths of Darkness series, The Hunter's Blades Trilogy, and the short stories "The Dowry" and "Dark Mirror." He has also been featured in some D&D-based computer role-playing games, including the Baldur's Gate Series and the more action-oriented Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone."

I remember Drizzt, thought it was a cool name!

Might just have been the way I took things as I was toying with the idea of getting involved with D&D at the time. As I recall, I read a book or two and really liked them and then got one that sounded a little childlike. I'll give them another go. Thanks!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah, Drizzt was incorporated into a few games AFTER the character became well known in the Forgotten Realm series. As Phyl eluded to, these books are like Star Wars, in that the first 3 books written were actually number 4,5 & 6 in the series. After he wrote them, there was a lot of clamouring for the details of where Drizzt came from, so he wrote books 4,5 & 6 which were books 1,2,& 3 in the series.

The writing style of the original books is relatively immature, but the writing style in the second series (covering the details behind the Dark Elf race and Drizzt specifically) is completely different. I would recommend Homeland, Exile and Sojourn. If you like them, then you can suffer through the first 3 books and move on to the rest of the trilogy's (probably something like 15 books in all) where his writing style is much improved.

Sorry to jack the Potter thread. Maybe we should split this one off into it's own!

Or retitle the Thread Potter and other magical realms!

I think Dark Elf series was the one I read and liked, and Icewind Dale was the one that turned me off. I did have the PC game for Icewind Dale. Like I said, I think I'll revisit these. I might even be able to find them in the garage if I look hard enough!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
blange3 said:
Or retitle the Thread Potter and other magical realms!

I think Dark Elf series was the one I read and liked, and Icewind Dale was the one that turned me off. I did have the PC game for Icewind Dale. Like I said, I think I'll revisit these. I might even be able to find them in the garage if I look hard enough!

You got it right. The Icewind Dale trilogy had more of the attributes of a vacuum cleaner than a series of books.

blange3 said:

I need a new series to read. I'm a big Tolkien fan, but I've read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy about a dozen times.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking about the Narnia Chronicles.

You can try "The Sword of Shannara" series. Very much a rip-off of LOTR , but still interesting (I loved it when I was in high school ;D )

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just ... *gasp* ... finished ... *heave* ... the book. *sigh*

Need to start over at the first of them and read them all again.

I want to read them all again too. I just loaned out 1 & 2. I'll have to wait until they come back.

Which book is everyone's favorite?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Right now I'd say this one, hands down. When I'm done going through them all again I'll be able to give a more fair assessment though.

I'm thinking of doing them all again as well. But since I just did all of them between June 11 and July 22, I think I'll give Harry a rest for now.

I just started Homeland, Phyl. I do remember reading it and enjoying it, so I will read this trilogy before going back to Harry.

And yes I agree, the last was the best!