• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Potter anyone?

ReefDrumz said:
Well, we went to see it tonight, It was good, but do yourself a favor and don't read the book as a refresher before you go.

Doh! Scott reread it in two days to prepare...uh oh.

We're still dying to see it. Usually go w/another couple, sort of a tradition. But they've been busy and we're on the verge of going w/o them.

Have the new book ordered through Amazon, supposed to deliver on Saturday. We have my company picnic that day, if it doesn't come in the mail before we go I'm going to be bummed!

About the kids reading them/seeing the movies. I guess to each his own. My step-son is 19 and has read every book since they came out (midnight at B&N for the 1st & 2nd), but he grew up with the characters as the books got darker. I'm w/you Phyl, I feel like it will be many years before we let the little guys see or read them because there won't be that break in between them anymore. I can't imagine being comfortable with them seeing the movies for a long time either, too much to explain away.

But there is no way on earth any kid should have been watching Saving Private Ryan! The first 16 min. of that movie put Vets back in the hospital because of the intensity. History or not...wonder how many nightmares they had. ::)

Since I read all 6 books in 3 weeks recently, they all run together! But I agree with John that they did a good job trimming the right subplots to make the movie flow. I was dreading seeing Harry and Cho together on Valentines Day. ::) Other than noticing what was dropped, I don't think rereading the book will hurt too much. It will help you recognize some of the characters who are in the movie, but have little dialogue like Tonks.

Books 5 and 6 definitely make the break from being kids stories. And the teenage angst is even more dramatic in the books.

As far as Dumbledore speculation goes, I think the safe bet is he will play his role from his portrait in the Headmaster's office; although I thought Fawkes's mourning song might have the power to restore him.

I heard today that book 7 can be found on line (illegally of course) for anyone who might be interested in a sneak peak.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
CDs are in my car, loaded and ready to go. Won't be able to start listening until Monday though. I couldn't read the last page if I wanted too, lol.

.... but does the New York Times really hate children?

*giggle*

Funniest news article I've seen in a long time (if the New York Post can truly be considered news some days), almost as funny as glorified lite-brights taking Boston hostage!

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Last week I ran across a post on a forum that listed who died and on which pages. I thought it was a ruse and sent it to a co-worker who loves the series. Turns out it was 100% dead on. Man was he mad! :p

ReefDrumz said:
Wow Bill... I'm only about 100 pages in...talk about dedication!

Saturday was a great beach day, so that accounted for 200 pages. Came home and started reading about 10. Wife came downstairs and chased me off to bed at 2:00am!

Finished last night/this morning a little after midnight.

I really did like the book. Got a few questions on my mind for some re-reading, but I did enjoy it. :D

I finished mine on Saturday night (it took forever for it to be delivered though). I sat straight through til I finished and my poor husband just had to work around me all day ::)

I was afraid that if I waited too long to read it that someone would spoil what happened. You guys have been real good about it here but friday on 101.5 they were reading that forum about who died and one what page (I started yelling and made ken turn it off while i plugged my ears). I just didnt want someone to ruin it after ten years of waiting for the ending.

By the way, I agree with Bill. I thought it was a great read and a very good ending. The best book thus far and well worth the wait! ;D

lizzush said:
I was afraid that if I waited too long to read it that someone would spoil what happened.

That's exactly what worried me! I figured it would happen Monday morning driving in to work.

So who other than Brian and Phyl are in process of reading it now?

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Pete is a book editor, so Blackwells gave its employees their copies Friday when they left for the day.

While I was working with Students up at the Quarry in Allentown, he finished the book start to finish, starting with the drive up and reading through the day while I was blowing bubbles. 5 hours.

I'm still reading too. This is the slowest I've read any of the Potter books. I'm taking my time; I don't want it to end :(

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I finished it at about 11:30 last night. Read the whole book yesterday, what better way to spend a rainy day home from work.

debfife said:
I'm still reading too. This is the slowest I've read any of the Potter books. I'm taking my time; I don't want it to end :(

I didn't want it to end either, but I couldn't help myself!

My son will probably finish it during the overnight, so I'll have someone to discuss it with tomorrow! ;D

We're at Chapter 24 now. Hard to squeeze it in with the kids, especially since they know we want to read it so badly!

Man, it is SO GOOD.

I'm afraid someone will spoil it now that it's been almost a week, but don't want to rush it either. It will never be the same once it's finished. :-[