• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red Sea 130D AIO

Looks fantastic!
I'm glad to see this tank being used again.
I had no idea the grounding plug was shot. I always had it plugged into a surge protector when we had it, but I am glad you caught that.
I think you were really smart to replace the light in the tank, as Mike said the fixture went on us right after we won the jbj at MACNA, we are also using a kessel on our new tank.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
It's a good looking tank, and I wanted to keep it as "stock looking" as possible

One thing I'm going to have to deal with will be that I may not be able to tie everything into/through the power hub. Items like my ATO & the kessil light

But other than that, once it's all said n done, the tank should turn out really nice

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
question, has anybody or is anybody using this product? MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia Plate - Bulk Reef Supply i was thinking about adding this to the rear chamber of this tank. with the smaller skimmer coming in today and with the extra space, i was thinking of adding some to add to the biological filtration.

note that i will also be adding these items to my media basket as well: chemi-pure, purigen, and filter floss (of some kind)

do you guys think this will be overkill?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
There is some discussion on the marine pure leaching aluminum. Tandy Holmes-Farley experimented with it and found it to be true. I'm not positive what effects this would have on the tank just thought I would mention it. In place of the marine pure maybe you could use some small live rock rubble.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would either use rubble rock or seachem makes a product called matrix, pretty much the same thing. Up to you on the chemipure, purigen and filter floss, personally i try to leave out as much as possible, right now i'm using a skimmer, live rock, some chaeto and at the moment a reactor with gfo in it until my algae issue dissipates, and then it will be gone as well. I pulled off my skimmer socks about a week after the tank started.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
well that's thing, honestly i could mock up a fuge to this tank (i have all the parts n what not) , but that would require me to cut n plumb a HOB overflow which i don't want to do. Plus, the fuge becomes something else i have to maintain (which i am not looking fwd to doing) i have one of these Fluval M40 Media Basket which is what i am going to use in conjunction with the skimmer. so i basically would just add the chemi-pure, purigen, and filter floss to these compartments and that should help me out alot . so aside from rubble, i wanted to basically try something new that can act as a "bio-filter"

i have seen the matrix around as well but have never used it.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I have used rubble in the back of nanos before and I always got rid of it. It becomes a nitrate trap over time and is just not worth it. They make underwater led lights that you can use in your media basket with some chaeto if you want to go for a fuge. We have always used and liked chemi pure elite and filter floss in the media basket chambers. They work and are easy to maintain. Purigen is also solid, we just used the other one.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
There is some discussion on the marine pure leaching aluminum. Tandy Holmes-Farley experimented with it and found it to be true. I'm not positive what effects this would have on the tank just thought I would mention it. In place of the marine pure maybe you could use some small live rock rubble.
Do you or anybody know what harmful affects the aluminum can have?

I use an aluminum oxide based product in a media bag. It has no harmful effects. If you don't rinse it out thoroughly, before putting it in initally, the dust erritates the corrals for a day. I don't know how more sensitive sps corrals would react to it. The stuff absorbs phosphates quick, but needs to be replaced often.

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have no experience with aluminum oxide, but I do know that most phosphate removers contain ferric oxide. I have used those products (chemi pure elite) in my reef tanks with no ill effects.

Both aluminum base and ferric oxide are effective for removing phosphate. Phosguard by Seachem is the aluminum base media. It work well in a media bag. Ferric oxide tends to clump up in a media bag, and is better suited for a reactor. The phosguard can becom ineffective in as little as 4 days if your phosphates are high. It can bring down phospates so fast it can shock your livestock, so if your phosphates are excesively high, use cautiously.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
so an update guys, im sorry for the delay but I was waiting on a few things before I continued with this build

1st, I needed some electrical work done by a licensed electrician. where the tank was originally positioned in the previous photos was on the other side of the living not too far from the front door. the biggest issue I had with that was that the tank would get a daily direct blast of sunlight from the front door into the tank (which I know would have given me algae issues day 1) so in short I decided to move it to the other side.

2nd, I had to run a dedicated line for the tank to its new position, the outlet that was there housing our living room light had 4 wires going into it which told me that it was feeding off something. which would be bad given I am planning to run a bunch of stuff to this outlet. it looked like this

so I contacted weltamans home service, guy came in and did what i asked

here is the new outlet for this tank

IMG_20160420_075719.jpg IMG_20160420_075925.jpg

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
so now that the hard part was over, time to press fwd a little bit. my skimmer came in over the weekend

IMG_20160420_075750.jpg

it came fully assembled, so i literally just slid the thing in and that was all she wrote

IMG_20160415_211854.jpg IMG_20160415_211910.jpg IMG_20160415_211958.jpg IMG_20160417_103555.jpg IMG_20160415_211927.jpg

so now, all that is left to do is, sand, water, rocks and cycle

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
this is exactly how i have this thing mounted in my rear chamber with the identical "in-tank" basket

9001.jpg

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
now all that's left, is to fill with sand, water, rocks (aqua-scape) and cycle

i am also waiting on another order (cuz i forgot to add it on when i was getting the skimmer) but i am now waiting for my media to arrive. here is what i am planning on running

chemi-pure blue
Boyd-Chemi-Pure-Blue-5.5oz-99.jpg

Matrix
Seachem-Laboratories-Matrix-1-Liter-99.jpg

Purigen

Seachem-Laboratories-Purigen-100mL-Bag-99.jpg

and filter floss in the media chamber, in conjunction with my skimmer