• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red Sea 130D AIO

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
question, do you guys think i should cycle this with all my media intact? i usually ran the media afterwards but i never thought about the pros/cons of cycling "fully loaded"

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Careful with the chemi pure blue, that stuff is made for when you have high phosphates and you need to drop them quickly. I have not read up on it in a while but I don't think it is something you wan to run constantly. We use the chemi pure elite which is the "everyday" stuff and love it.

As far as the cycle goes I would probably run unloaded, let the bacteria get a chance to settle before getting pulled out. It is ok to be a little dirty in the beginning to kick off a good cycle.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Careful with the chemi pure blue, that stuff is made for when you have high phosphates and you need to drop them quickly. I have not read up on it in a while but I don't think it is something you wan to run constantly. We use the chemi pure elite which is the "everyday" stuff and love it.

As far as the cycle goes I would probably run unloaded, let the bacteria get a chance to settle before getting pulled out. It is ok to be a little dirty in the beginning to kick off a good cycle.
i was thinking that too as that's how I have always done it in the past

as far as the CPB is concerned I am actually not tied down to the stuff so if the census here is the swap it, I will. what about the regular chemi-pure? I wouldn't mind running that being that it retails for about $2 cheaper than the other 2

I ordered chemi pure blue as well to battle my algae. I am not planning on keeping it for a long time. I just ordered it and I saw a special, order one and get another free. It was on foster and smith. not sure if the sale is still going

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Regular chemi pure is a work horse and has been around for a while. You get some GFO and carbon in there which is nice. That is the only media we run in our nanos.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
IMG_20160424_112642.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160424_110141.jpg
    IMG_20160424_110141.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20160424_110125.jpg
    IMG_20160424_110125.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20160424_105629.jpg
    IMG_20160424_105629.jpg
    1,000.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20160424_105617.jpg
    IMG_20160424_105617.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I'm cleaning my gyre now, once that's all good n ready, that will go into the tank today. Other than that, just waiting now

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to add more rock from my other tank. Which is why I didnt fill it up all the way

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Awesome! It's all starting to come together. The aquascape looks great!

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
question, about when do you guys think i should add the Matrix Media? i have never used it before and i want it to be as effective as possible

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
small stuff...i want some movement and maybe a little "schooling" action....@914joe has a nice livestock selection in his small tank....so something similar to that....im not big on buying super expensive fish that potentially can die on me

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Just an update, tank is still cycling. Amonia is around. 25 on API scale and the nitrates are at zero. The PH is a little low around 7.8 and I am going to add some kalk or baking soda "juice" to bring that up. (haven't decided yet) Tonight i was thinking of doing a small water change and then test again and take it from there