• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Red Sea 130D AIO

I bought a used RSM 250 and really like it, but I could never get the skimmer to work properly. I replaced it with a hang on back model and that freed up a lot of sump space for a reactor, etc.

now the skimmer, pretty straight forward on this. it just has an awkward design. if you saw the video in the earlier post, you'll see that it has almost a 45' angle on it which turn, takes up a ton of valuable real-estate in that rear chamber.

View attachment 12923 View attachment 12924

its impossible to clean given its shape so I did what I could, I plugged the pump in, it turned on and that's that for now. if I don't like the skimmer, I may look into maybe one of those ghost skimmers (I dunno)

so now here the dilemma, one thing I forgot to mention is that there is also a light timer tied into this system. with all this stuff going on under the hood, is it worth replacing? I can tell you now that these fans are shot which is what I think was making that noise (I have not plugged it back in yet), if not its the ballast which with all these wires, I wouldn't know how to replace

There are RSM and YouTube tutorials on replacing the ballast. Hardest part is finding all the little screws that hold the lid together. I finally gutted mine and retrofitted it with an LED setup from stevesled.com

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
There are RSM and YouTube tutorials on replacing the ballast. Hardest part is finding all the little screws that hold the lid together. I finally gutted mine and retrofitted it with an LED setup from stevesled.com
I wound up doing the same, just took it all out and dropped in a kessil

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone running a T5/LED Hybrid? If so, your thoughts on it? I'm thinking about mod'ing my 4-bulb tek light 2 just 2 outside bulbs and the kessil in the middle

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
So I went hybrid, now its 2 AB special bulbs and the kessil a360 set to max blue at/around 50% intensity

Attachments

• 20180808_131006.jpg
    20180808_131006.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 18
  • 20180808_145823.jpg
    20180808_145823.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 20180811_004043.jpg
    20180811_004043.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 17

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I know, this things is packed and the corals keep growing. I have finally assembled everything that I need for the new 80b build (for the most part) except for a stand. I'm going to see if Gary from Ocean's Gallery can get me one as he has a good connection with a stand maker. I don't want to go with a DIY, 2x4 stand as that will require more work.

Once I get that, I'm going to move forward with the tank build

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Holes in my leather coral:

Can someone explain this to me, 1st it was 1 now it's 2 holes in my green leather coral. Should I be worried? 20181120_170344.jpg 20181120_170308.jpg

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone know what's up with this nem, it looks like his mouth is inside out. I've had this guy for a while now and its developed this thing in it. 20181227_191818.jpg