• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

scuba diving

eholceker

NJRC Member
any monmouth county scuba divers here? The tropical fish should be here soon and I am looking to save as many as possible before they freeze during the winter. Let me know.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm a diver. What do have in mind for saving the fish? How do you go about it? Do you have your own boat, or do you charter a boat, or do beach dives?

Let me know.

eholceker

NJRC Member
I usually just do beach dives. I started a 55 gallon tank in my basement to quarantine a bunch of fish I catch. I have no idea what I am going to do with all of them, but I will give them away to lfs and to anyone who wants any. I need to think of a good game plan because I cant even catch a damsel in a 75 gallon tank so i dont know how hard it would be to catch a butterfly fish in the ocean. I am planning on using that 55 gallon tank as a FO/ w live rock tank to keep some of the butterflys.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Where do you do your beach dives from?  I used to dive the twin wrecks in Long Branch but the convent right in front of the beach access point started cracking down on divers cutting through their property.  I also did the wreck off of the Manasquan inlet, but holy cow was that a long walk across the sand and then a grueling swim to the wreck!  And that was like 15 years and about 40lbs ago!  I don't think I'd try that one now.

As far as catching fish out in the wild, yeah that may be tough.  I doubt we'd be able to remove all of the rock to get to them!

eholceker

NJRC Member
catching tropical fish in new jersey is 100% legal. Since they dont live past November u can take as many as you would like. I usually go off of L Street in Belmar because of the time restrictions in shark river. Back bay is only 20 feet deep max and pretty quick walk from the beach to the dive site. you can dive there any time. At shark river there is no diving betwee 830 am and 530 pm.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm pretty sure I did a night dive there once. It was pretty cool, and you're right the walk isn't so bad. If I remember correctly, you have to try to be there around slack tide otherwise the current can be a bit strong.

When are you thinking about doing this?

i know LIRA does the same, the catch fish around August, i don't have my diving license no more but i go with you guys, i have a house close to belmar too, just let me know

eholceker

NJRC Member
the best time to go is high tide towards slack tide.  The current can get a little strong but not dangerously bad.  There is another exit at the other side of the beach if you get caught in the current.  I was planning o going on Sunday to check out to see if any of the tropicals have made it up yet.  As of 2 weeks they werent here yet.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Right now my tanks are out getting hydro'd and my wet suit is shot. They said my tanks would be another 2 weeks or so and I'd need to rent a wet suit. Unfortunately, my weekends are pretty booked up between now and mid-August.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I hear ya John. I'm in the same boat... The weekends fill up too fast!!

I only have a shorty wetsuit. I have mask and fins, but no BCD or regulator.. or tank...lol

Yes, I am a vacation diver. :D

eholceker

NJRC Member
I usually rent my tank, but i own everythig else. I just checked the tide charts as well and it looks like we are going to have to either do early mornings or late late afternoons. The best time to go is dead high tide 30 minutes before and 30 after. The curret should be the weakest at this point. I will keep everyoe posted on the dates but as of right now, i am liking August 13th.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I know Mark Sharky dives....you may want to give him a shout as well.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Actually, right now August 13th is the only day I'm free. If all of my tanks pass their Hydro and I can make it, you could use one of mine. I'd still need to rent a wet suit because I swear neoprene shrinks when not used for a few years. I can't believe that thing ever actually fit me!

I have a really retro BCD, too. Top o' the line back in the 70's! It's borderline horse-collar in a groovy rainbow color. It still works, so I stick with it.

Keep me posted as the date gets closer. I'd like to give it a shot. I doubt I'd be able to catch anything, but what the heck it would stil be cool to dive there again.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'de be interested too if I can get a day off. Have to rent everything, since last time I dove was over 10 years ago. Whats better in NJ? Beach or boat dives? Mike

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It all depends. I don't exactly have the strongest constitution, so the conditions have to be pretty calm for me to want to do a boat dive. The advantage to them is you get to go to a lot of really cool and deep offshore wrecks. All you have to do is carry your gear from the car to the boat, wait a while, suit up, jump in and follow the anchor line to the wreck. It's not a lot of physical excertion.

Beach dives on the other hand take a lot more effort. You have to carry all of your gear from the car to the beach. Then lug it all the way down to the shore line. Suit up, take either a compass heading or a natural navigation heading out towards the wreck and then swim for like fifteen weeks until you get close. You do this on the surface, fighting the current, to save air. Once you get in the area, you drop down and search for the wreck.

This dive won't be so bad because you can park relatively close to the entry point, and if I remember correctly, you climb down a small rock wall and dive right along the inlet channel. There was a lot of life along the rock work last time I was there. The one thing that stuck with me is that horseshoe crabs have a great life. They are ALWAYS hooked up with another one. Lucky dogs!