• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

scuba diving

eholceker

NJRC Member
backbay is defintily one of the easiest dives that I have been on. In fact it is the only dive I feel comfortbable going buddyless. It is very shallow, has a ton of life, and there is more than one exit point if the current is to strong. I am going to look into any type of contraptions that they make to catching fish in the water. They must make something. I was thinking about having somebody at the top dock as land support, to help us unload the fish into buckets so we can go right back down. I am going to have to do a little more planning. If anyone has any other ideas on how to do this let me know.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm in! The kids can be ground support.

Aw shucks. That's not gonna work, is it?!

eholceker

NJRC Member
Phyl,
I am sure the kids would do a great job. It shouldn't be to difficult. Basically just taking the fish and putting it in a bucket.

C

concept3

so have you guys come up with a tentative possible date? I'd like to tag along too, hone my marine biology skills that I haven't used since getting out of college 7 years ago :D

eholceker

NJRC Member
concept that is great to here since I am planning to go back to school for marine biology starting in january, hahaha :D I am thinking August 13th is probablly going to be the best day. I am going to check the other dive shops around there to make sure they arent teaching any classes that day. All we need are un certified divers practicing there bouyancy control and stirring up the bottom.

i will be ground support, this nice body of mine will not get in a wetsuit, even if you guys pay me for it, i will not get in one of those ;D

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Where can you rent equipment down there?

I'm in for the Gabe fund as well...

C'mon Gabe, it can't be much worse than me in wetsuit!

I might be able to give ground support as well, I'll check my schedule.

I can have 2 tanks open to hold leftovers if needed, my 30gal QT and the 46 soon to be a FOWLR bowfront.

I might have a few bucks for the wrapper fund too! ;D

nope im not getting in one fo those :p , anyway will be needing a lot of butter to get me into one wetsuit, i just wear shirt and shorts and stay in the beach helping,, and john no gabe funds for the wetsuit ;D

eholceker

NJRC Member
this looks like it could turn out to be a fun day. I found something called a slurpe gun, which I think I am going to pick up. With all of these people wanting to help we may be be able to supply all of new jersey with a butterfly fish. If you are curious they are the spot fin butterfly's. There is also a lot of other tropicals that end up here too such as angels, look downs, and squirrels.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What are the water temps these days? Do you think a wet suit is needed? It's not like we're going to be down very deep. Although, the protection against abrasions might be nice . . . .

eholceker

NJRC Member
i wear a 7mm with a hood. I am also only 150 pounds. The water temp 2 weeks ago was 65 and the max I believe is around 70. It can get kind of chilly. Personally I would never dive without a wetsuit because as you said the abrasions on your back and sides prob will be painful. YOu will also need to strap about 20-26 lbs of weight to yourself to get down. This will change depending on the thicknes of the wetsuit.

C

concept3

last time I was out on a boat in the back bays 2 weeks ago (brigantine), the water temps were at 72-75, we weren't catching a whole lot of fish, and we were looking for 12-20 foot holes to find summer flounder in.....(which we eventually did) :D

The average back bay temperatures are gonna be in the mid 70's in the next few weeks if we don't get more rains.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Whats the visability there and do they rent everything down there? What would I need to buy. The only dives I've done in NJ were out by the Varazanna Bridge for lobsters, at night.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
In the past, you had to own your own weights, mask, snorkel & fins. I think you can pretty much rent everything else. That may have changed recently but I'm not sure. It's been a while since I've rented.