• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sobo's Fluval Evo

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
For all the times I've used Chemipure (Blue, Elite, etc...) I don't think its ever outperformed carbon, decent water change, and a shot of Aquarium Water Quality & Conditioners: Special Blend Water Conditioner
Growing Cheato in top section of second chamber of my Evo as well.
Also, I'd advise MarinePure High Performance BioFilter Media |Biological Filter Media
and drop it into the bottom of the second chamber, as much as will fit. It's superliverock and a small amount will go a VERY long way for bio filtration and chemical control.

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Would ceramic rings work just as well in place of those balls?

No. The biofilter media is designed for max surface area internally and externally through porousness. This media has holes and channels small enough that detritus can not collect in it. It acts like live rock.
The ceramic rings are not as porous and lay against each other, creating hollow pockets for detritus to collect in. They are nowhere near as effective and require a scheduled collection and cleaning.

For all the times I've used Chemipure (Blue, Elite, etc...) I don't think its ever outperformed carbon, decent water change, and a shot of Aquarium Water Quality & Conditioners: Special Blend Water Conditioner
Growing Cheato in top section of second chamber of my Evo as well.
Also, I'd advise MarinePure High Performance BioFilter Media |Biological Filter Media
and drop it into the bottom of the second chamber, as much as will fit. It's superliverock and a small amount will go a VERY long way for bio filtration and chemical control.

I can't grow chaeto bc I have a media tray in the 2nd chamber. I could remove the skimmer from the first chamber since I'm not even using it and grow chaeto in there I guess. I'll check out the other stuff you recommended!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just ordered some biofilter media, bulk carbon and the special blend conditioner. Should be here on Thursday. As for now I'm just gonna do another big water change and see if it helps for now.

Also, I went out and bought frozen mysis shrimp and some garlic to try and get my Exquisite firefish to come out but no such luck... he seems to be okay but I don't know what food he's eating bc he's never out when I'm looking at the tank.. maybe he's a night time scavenger?? Who knows. Hope he doesn't die behind the rocks tho [emoji53]

Just did another 4g water change. Decided to take my skimmer out of the chamber since it's not in use. I honestly don't plan on using it unless I absolutely have to. Also by removing it, it seem I have better flow through the chambers already so that's a plus.

I moved my Prime gooseneck clamp over to the first chamber so I can get to my media tray easier. I siphoned the chambers out then threw about 8 biospheres down in chamber 2. Then put my media tray in with new filter floss and carbon. I also added a little bit of that "Special Blend" stuff to the tank so we'll see how it looks when I get home from work tomorrow morning.

4cfa4480fd083871a79d515b6312a7f8.jpg
7bf17fedf4c33f9aa1669f130410767a.jpg

Hard to get a good pic of the back chamber since it's so close to my wall but you can see the spheres on the bottom, then filter floss followed by carbon at the top. Still have 1 tray open for another chemical if I choose to.
07466e414efd5ccba03b691e82610979.jpg

My tank has officially gotten a bad case of cyano and dinos it looks like... all in a matter of 1 night. It looks like the Dino's are actually floating in the water column and on the surface of the water... I just did a WC 2 days ago so I gotta make more water. It's crazy this just happened like overnight. Any tips other then manually siphoning out everything I see??

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Nice tank. In regards to cyano, it's just a part of its aging process. Just keep doing water changes and siphoning it out. The more often the water changes the better.

Update.

I did almost a 5g WC today. Sucked up as much as I possible could.. looks like I'm just going thru a little outbreak of cyano so I'll try and keep that under control with WCs.

I'm starting to think I may want this skimmer online tho bc it'll help with the surface gunk that's floating around. But then if I do that I gotta move my light clamp back onto my media tray and that just makes it a pain to have to swap out media. Ughhh.

In other news, I got my firefish to come out for a brief second today for some mysis Shrimp soaked in garlic so that's a good sign lol

I rearranged some coral today as well. Not sure if they'll like them in their new places but we shall see.

Small update.. I added a goby to the tank and my sand bed hasn't been too bad as of late but I'm still battling what I think is Dino's on my rock work. I've read that adding a UV Sterilizer would really help with this by turkey basting them off into the water column.

Any recommendations on a sterilizer? I've never used one before

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I had some dino in my tank that k was battling. I finally gave in and installed a UV. My tank was cloudy and I just didn't like the look. Over night my tank was crystal clear and looking good. I don't know if I will keep running it or not but for now I am