• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sobo's Fluval Evo

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Im debating on getting one.. I hear the stock light is good but most people wind up switching out plus I may wanna go for the rimless look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
just be mindful of what you place in that tank, ive had clown jump out of tank before....along with slew of other fish

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just a few thoughts running thru my head...
1. Anyone have any experience with the Kessil A160we?? If so, do you think this would be sufficient enough to support all coral life?

2. Do you think an Ecotech Mp10 would be too much for this tank?

Like I said, just tossing some thoughts around in my head, that's all [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

EcoTech Marine Flow Calculator

here is a good calculator from ECO Tech on the MP10

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I'm running the Kessil 360 on my 36g and I love it. I gives me a nice coverage. The only issue (and its not the light fault) is my 36 has a support bar going down the middle so I have a middle shadow line. I toyed with ideas on how to fix that but decided I will keep it like that to provide some shade for some of my nems and fish.

I went out to the store today to start picking up some tools I'll need to build my own stand since I haven't been able to find one I like. A few hours after I got home I saw someone's build thread on R2R with the same tank. I started to talk with him and asked about his stand bc he has it set up the way I want and apparently he just bought one of those cubicle stands from Ikea. It looks really nice but I wanted mine to be a bit more concealed so I did a little more digging and found out you can add doors to the cubbies. I was thinking of getting this, getting 2 doors for the bottom cubbies and leaving the 2 above them, open. Still not 100% decided on it yet as I wanna make sure everything I wanna do will work but it's a step in the right direction!!!

Well, I went out and bought that cubicle stand from ikea and man, I love this little thing. It looks so sleek to me. I winded up getting 2 doors for the top cubbies and like plastic weave pull out baskets for the bottom ones(to store testing equipment and whatever else). Obviously this stand was made to be put against a wall long ways but I have it set up for the peninsula style. I needed to cut a hole in the back board so I could run my power brick cable to the wall. I was extremely nervous to do it but it worked and looks pretty good. Of course it wasn't solid wood bc it's from ikea but it'll do.
fe6a00034f7c639a2d1b5f28d8154592.jpg
304eddc3cbe2998c9730a8f9fbdde5f2.jpg
I did wind up going all the way through the board with no problems but as you can see the inside is basically hollow. Here's how it stands as of right now.
b5366f878adc4b875dcf700e99931ea8.jpg
Im loving this tank build so much already!! I also mounted my power strip inside the right hand door but I'll snap a pic of that later on as I'm at work now. Now tomorrow I'm gonna go on the hunt for some sand and rock and get this process going!!

Here's a better pic of the stand itself.
c445cec735e16465bf8cb0f9fe58bf7b.jpg

Here's the power brick I mounted up on the wall and the hole that I had cut to run wires through.
7a3e5b00ba4ac002995f3a4834282194.jpg

Here's a little 2.5g top off tank that I got from my LFS.
829fca60da0e4a83c33c05ce959a739d.jpg

Last but not least, I'm kinda stumped on what to do with the cord for whatever ATO pump I wind up getting. I've always wanted a clean look so I've debated on drilling another 2in hole thru the cubbie divider for easy access to the power brick. It's also make way for the air line tube to feed the water back up to the tank.
5b1ee16dfe89cff3be6464f100ed244e.jpg

Any thoughts?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
you might want to see about a lid/cover for it. I would just be concern someone bumping into stand and spilling water which if not cleaned up (cause you didn't noticed it) could ruin the stand

It's getting there guys!!!
4af3e0c764b4e2dbe7d87c57f952ee3d.jpg

I'm gonna mix up the first batch of salt in the tank since it's empty. Afterwards I'm gonna remove some water, add my rocks and sand and then top off water as needed.
After that I think it's safe to say the cycle will begin. I've done some tinkering with the rocks to see which scape i would want and I think I've settled on this.
d18ca2731e282ad7248eec601ad2a6f7.jpg
1 side view
6d205f2c4dbb5f8235c8f4dcbe6d5b8b.jpg
front view
7e201c2af6d9b9f250cd5794cb8545e4.jpg
other side view. This is the only side I'm not too crazy about but this is where it'll be viewed from the couch so it's not that big of a deal.

As far as rock and sand... I bought 14lbs of Carib Reef Rock from my LFS and it looks pretty nice. Nice color too. As for sand, I went with a 10lb bag of Bahamas Oolite. May or may not be enough sand but we shall see.

I think later on I'm gonna go out and grab the Tunze Nano ATO system and get that set up. Might buy a couple cheap powerheads too for my mixing buckets.

This middle compartment seems like a waste of area to me with what they have in it. It's a foam media basket with a small carbon bag and another bag with what looks like ceramic balls of some kind. Thinking about taking it out completely down the line.
9a4e1bfc9d27f1247430b5b9c7e5be88.jpg