• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sobo's Fluval Evo

What did you decide to cycle with? I bought live rock last time, but will try and cycle myself next time

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I haven't decided yet... works been kickin my butt the past couple days so I haven't even gotten there yet. I'll probably wind up going out and getting a raw shrimp tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just found out my mom has a piece of Cod in her freezer next door to me.. ya think this will kick start a cycle??

I am relatively new so don't trust my answer, but shrimp size piece I don't see why not.

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What about Tuna? lol if you can't tell I'm really trying to avoid going to the store

I think liverock would seed your bacteria. Still need amonia source. Aka rotting shrimp piece or Cod or Tuna. Seeding you bacteria with a starter solution or live rock not a bad idea.

I think liverock would seed your bacteria. Still need amonia source. Aka rotting shrimp piece or Cod or Tuna. Seeding you bacteria with a starter solution or live rock not a bad idea.

Okay so something like Bio Spira would help seed the bacteria but I'll still need to add ammonia

Russell Bennett

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah on reef central some add straight amonia, but you have to make sure you buy the right kind.

Also you don't add alot. It's like one little shrimp/ piece and once you get ammonia you pull it.

Again though I cycled one tank so newbie- a lot more knowledgeable folks here.

Added some Tuna to the tank.. will test the water in a day or 2 and see what readings it's giving me.
1f7f860acd4110621180d6db521d4177.jpg

I went around the corner to ACE and got some janitorial ammonia. Man this stuff reminds me of having cats lol anyways, I made a dosage so I'll test tomorrow and see what it says.

I tested my tank again this morning. I think I added too much Ammonia to begin with bc my reading is at 8ppm lol but good news is I have a sign of Nitrites already at 0.25ppm. Nothing for Nitrate yet but atleast it's getting started.

I have a bottle of Bio Spira, should I add that in now or wait til after the cycle??