• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

The Soprano's

debfife said:
Here's a thought:
Remember when Bobby & Tony were on the boat and talking about death?
They both said that they think when you die it just goes silent, there's nothing more, just silence.

That would explain the ending.

I wish, Deb, but i read an article that it was ending in true david chase (sopranos) form. The article said he left it open on purpose, the days in their lives keep going, we just don't get to watch. the writer thought it was brilliant.... I, on the other hand, wish I watched the NBA finals.
I also heard on the radio about 2 alternate endings.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What were the alternates, Pete? Any word on what they actually were?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah I was just wondering if they've talked about what the others were now that it's all over!

Phyl said:
What were the alternates, Pete? Any word on what they actually were?

The only one I heard about was that they wack Pauly thinking he was a rat but turns out he wasn't and Tony feels terrible, blah blah..... haha even though something would've happened with that, it would've been another start to something they can't finish.

Can you imagine a movie? You would walk out of it saying, " I can't believe that I deluded myself into going to this! It's the same crap as the TV series. Another dissapointment".
Ken

I can't take credit for this explanation but it's pretty good......

I hope this sheds a little light for everyone. Makes sense to me...Lemme know what you guys think!!! Enjoy...

Tony was killed....

in fact, the ending was genius if you've paid attention to the show or

are just a fan of well developed well thought out plots that all tie

together and have the memory of a champ to remember it all the ending

was simple, he got killed, but let me tell yall why and explain in

detail... There was 3 people in the room total who had a reason to kill

tony.....

the two black guys, they were paid before to kill tony but he was only

shot in the ear, this was in one of the earlier seasons, also in the

earlier seasons, the trucker who was sitting at the bar stool, who the

camera kept focusing in on, is Nikki leotardo, Phil Leotardos nephew, he

was in one of the early season episodes where Phil and Tony have a sit

down....

heres where the genius comes in....

When tonys walking in the diner,you see the camera focus on him, then it

switches to his perspective, and you see him looking @ the booth hes

gonna sit at...

then the camera switches back to tonys face, then it once again switches

to his perspective, and it shows him looking @ the door and looking @

the people come in..... Everytime the door opens the Chimes sound.......

Carmela walks in, Chimes, AJ walks in Chimes, this when Meadows parallel

parking, still trying to get inside the restaurant....

at this point the camera switches back to the trucker who goes in the

bathroom......

Then it goes to a scene where meadow finally parks and starts running in

the diner....

the doors about to open, Tony looks up....

and No Chimes......................

no Music............

verything just goes black...............

n one of the early episodes of the sopranos, tonys talking with bobby

bout what it must feel like to die..

Bobby says "at the end, you probably dont hear anything, everything just

goes black"

part of that was revisited in the second to last episode during the last

seconds of it, when tonys about to go to sleep and he flashes back to

the memory of him and bobby on the boat... "You probably dont hear

anything everything just goes black"

so in the end, the Journey song was playing, the chimes on the door

sounded but when meadow came in, the guy in the trucker hat came out and

killed tony...

its the reason you don't hear, or see anything when he died.... it was from

his perspective.... and everything went black, then the credits rolled.

I was ok with the last scene, and all that could be taken from it. Yeah, their was people in there that looked suspicious or recognizable. (would the black guys really care if he was dead?) and yeah, i remembered the "things go black" thing. (if it was seriously a death from his perspective, and it was from a gun, we would've heard a gun shot- then silence) ... But the rest of the episode was so basic, it would've made a better book then a series ending tv show.

One of my students mentioned that in the credits Johnny Soprano was listed as a character. Did anyone else see that or is this kid just nuts and if so where would Tony's father have been in the episode?

I like most was disappointed in the ending. I get what the director was after but I wanted so much more.

I was told yesterday that anyone that does NOT think the ending was brilliant is not a very smart person.

I guess we're all morons.

I saw the ending again. There were the same chimes when meadow walked in as with everyone else that walked in. I also paid attention to the tow black guys and thee person that walked into the bathroom. The two guys didn;t look or pay any attention to Tony and only looked at the candy counter. The other guy walked to the bathroom and did not once look at Tony.

I think that nothing happened and it was just a regular day.
Ken

He whacked the audience...

One of my friends thought that David Chase "whacked" the audience, that's why we didn't see what happened. He says Tony is a survivor, and he goes on with his life as always, we just don't get to see it.

That's why the song was relavant with the lyrics "the show goes on and on and on and on..."

He says if you look at the perspective to the last scene, you are between Tony and the bathroom, standing up, and when the guy comes out to shoot Tony, he shoots "us".

He also referenced the "you don't see or hear anything just black" when you die thing. My buddy went on about how brillant the ending was, I disagree I think it was convoluted.

Building up all the tension and then cutting to black before anything happens is a cheesy cliff hanger that TV shows use to get you interested in next season, not a meaningful way to end a long running series.

but I figured I'd throw it out there and maybe give you guys another way to look at it.

On a side note I think Tony killed one or two of those gangbangers who tried to kill him back in the other season...

We watched it again and that was what my girlfriend said, dflint... I disagreed and said it was stupid anyway. LOL

and you are correct, he got both of the black guys after he heard about them trying to kill him.