• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

urgent - prayer needed

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Maddie was rushed to the hospital on Saturday morning. She has been diagnosed with Swine Flu. The virus is now attacking her brain and her brain is swelling. They did surgery this morning and put two shunts in to relieve the pressure. This hasn't helped as the brain has swollen so much that it has clamped the shunts closed.

We have not been given a good prognosis. Pray for Maddie and our family right now.

Erna

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Erna, I'm so sorry to hear this! I hope everything works out for the best. You will most definitely be in our thoughts and prayers.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Erna

Maddie will be first in mine and my families prays. Hang in there!

Bob

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Oh Erna. I can't imagine the fear pulsing through the family right now. You all have my thoughts and prayers. Maddie for her health and well being and the family for your strength and ability to endure all that has been thrown at you. Hang in there and keep us posted as you can.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
The shunt still isn't draining fluid from Maddie's brain. One of the
neurologist team members came in to check on Maddie about a half an hour
ago and said that it can take a while for the drain to start working.

They're still keeping her very cold too to try and bring down the swelling
in the brain. She's kept at 92 degrees and has ice packs around her head.

One issue they're working on right now is that her sodium levels are
currently too high to administer her afternoon dose of the drug that
relieves the swelling on the brain. The sodium levels are coming down
though, so she should receive it soon.

It's pretty much a waiting game for the next 24 hours. Her vital signs
(blood pressure, heart rate, etc) have been pretty stable today. We just
don't know the impact this has had on her brain at this point.

The EEG came back showing minimal brain activity, but we had the same thing
happen when she was in the hospital with botulism earlier in the year. The
minimal activity can be a result of the sedatives she's on and the fact
that her brain hasn't had time to heal.

We'll keep you posted, and appreciate all the prayers.

OMG! Hope things turn out for the best. I can't imagine what I would do if my little girl or son was in that situation. My prayers are with you and your family.

Erna please know you are in our thoughts and prayers. Know that our church is praying too. I also received an email through my daughter in-law from a friend of ours Becki. We will continue to pray for Maddie, her condition to improve and that the Doctors would have wisdom for her treatment.