• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Water

I'm getting my tank next week which brings up the question of filling it with water.

Where can I purchase water in North Jersey? Does anyone use tap? Does anyone use a RODI in an apartment?

I can spare the money for an RODI but the problem is how to use it in a 2 bedroom apartment. I'm in Bloomfield. Any chance the tap water is usable?? I used tap water when I lived in Brooklyn with good results.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Some folks have used tap water and Seachem Prime to de-chlorinate and have gotten by with using tap water. I wouldn't but it can be done

SeaLevel Aquarium and Absolutely Fish are probably the closest LFS I can think of to Bloomfield.

Any idea what I can expect to pay at Absolutely Fish, which is close by? I ordered a TDS meter which should be arriving today. When I test my tap what would be an acceptable level

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure, I don't go there that often but I do know they are pricey.

you should be shooting for "0" TDS using a RO unit. Using Tap+Prime Im not sure as I have never used the stuff. I would Imagine that anything above 1TDS may be pushing it

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@cronosx999 I used my RODI in an apartment. The only issue I had was one time I had a leak causing water to go down to the apartment below me. I would hook my RODI unti to my sink, make the water, disccont RODI unit and store it away when not using. Pain in the butt but worked well. The issue was one time I didn't make sure the connection was tight and there was a leak out the back I didn't see.

I just picked up the 4 Stage RO buddie from Amazon for like $60. It came with a few adaptors, surely one would fit the kitchen sink.

Meaning for the initial setup and then add salt to the tank if that even works

If your line is long enough to reach the tank lol, that works. I have a small tank so I just fill 5 gallon pails and mix the water with salt for water changes. My water is coming from the same line as the washer.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Remove the aerator on your faucet and screw in your intake line for your RO. Run the waste line down your drain

You can add it directly to your tank and add salt to it. Normally its around 1/2 cup salt per gallon of fresh water

Remove the aerator on your faucet and screw in your intake line for your RO. Run the waste line down your drain

You can add it directly to your tank and add salt to it. Normally its around 1/2 cup salt per gallon of fresh water

This is what I did. I used RODI in an apartment for 6 years before I moved to a house. I just used a bucket to mix saltwater but I only have a 30 gallon nano tank with sump.

I ordered the Aquatic Life Twist-In 100 GPD 4-Stage RO/DI System. Any tips or tricks for install under a sink and general use in an apartment?

So far I have the Aquatic Life Twist-In 100 GPD 4-Stage RO/DI System and a Trigger Crystal 30 Sump ordered. Any suggestions for skimmer and return pump for my 75 Marineland RR tank which is arriving tomorrow?

I am contemplating a Reef Octopus CLASSIC 152-S skimmer and a Reef Octopus VarioS-4 Controllable DC Circulation Pump.

Will this skimmer work well and be quiet? How should I do the plumbing? PVC or tubing? How about this pump, can I get away with another quiet and more inexpensive unit?