• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Water

Update

Yesterday painted the back of the tank with black gloss.

I flushed my RODI unit with 30 gallons yesterday, getting ready to add the DI cartridge and start making water. I still need to plumb my 75 gallon Marineland corner flow. It is going into a Trigger Crystal 30 sump and the pump is a Current USA 609. Is anyone familiar with the fittings of this tank and can give me the sizes of fitting I need to get it to drain to this sump and returned from the pump? Would I be able to walk into Absolutely Fish and get help and the plumbing parts needed?

As far as setuo. What is the best way? Test for leaks? Should I fill it with RODI water, start running the sump to test and then add salt, rock, and sand? Or should I make as much water as possible, add rock, sand and then water mixed with salt?

I have Marcos rock, salt, and sand arriving tomorrow. I've managed to make and store 55 gallons of RODI water with 0 TDS in 20 gallon trash bins and will make more. My sump is plumbed .

I plan on aquascaping tomorrow or Saturday and then adding sand.

Afterwards can I fill the tank with RODI water turn on pumps and then add salt? It would make things much easier.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
My opinion is if you are mixing the rodi water and salt in a different container, then yes you can add the sand with cured rock. If you are not mixing salt and water prior to adding to tank then you can not add the sand

OK, so I add rock, water, salt to proper salinity, and then sand, correct?

When should I turn on my pumps during this process? When should I start using lights?

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
No lights until the tank is cycled. The rocks are cured?

so I add rock, water, salt to proper salinity, and then sand, correct?
correct...also heater

When I add sand to a tank that has water in it, I use a funnel type object. 4ish wide pvc pipe works as an example. It keeps the sand from getting everywhere

It's definitely not cured as it will be arriving tomorrow. From what I've read the Marco rock doesn't leak phosphates. We'll see how it goes. I plan on cycling with shrimp