• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Water

I'm using CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade. The way I understand it, is that it comes moist with bacteria.

I ordered Bi0-Spira for cycling has anyone used this product?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
For the live sand, just dump in, it should come with a water clarifyer too, just dump in afterwards

hey cronosx...welcome to the garden state! I got to this thread a bit late.

I think you are well on your way with all the great guidance provided here. I've used flex PVC now for 10 years plus with no leak issues. You just need to make sure the junctions where you are connected are sealed properly. Over time the "flex" will start getting less "flex" and more rigid with age.

Just a note of caution regarding the tank in an apartment. A lot of water on those hardwood floors may also end up warping them. It may not be as pretty - but Costco sells those matts that are usually meant for the kitchen that soak up water. Additionally a water alarm that is audible is a slight help when you are home.

I have used these:
Basement Watchdog Battery-Operated Water Alarm-BWD-HWA - The Home Depot

Although i noticed a cheaper one is sold by honeywell now that looks promising too.

i forgot to ask - the live sand. Did you get white sand or black? please note the black sand (at least in the past) has had very tiny particles that can be magnetized. Therefore that sand will stick to mag-floats...

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
sure, give it time to break in. Just take the cup off for now and let it overflow into your sump

The Marco rock arrived last night. I started Aquascaping. I sort of like this layout that I put together. Any opinions?

I plan on adding water this weekend. I made 100 gallons of RODI all of which is 0 PPM TDS. Going to fill the main tank and continue until it goes into the sump and check for leaks. Then turn on pumps. heater and powerheads, add salt, check salinity, add sand.

Should I leave pumps on while adding sand?IMG_20180619_064633.jpg

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
No need, just the return pump for now. When the dust settles from the sand, you can turn on the pump

Looks great btw

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I would secure all the rock “joints” with epoxy now that the rock it dry. Long haul it’ll give you a stable base

I plan on using glue and epoxy when I settle on the aquascape. Probably leave it as is or make minor adjustments. Should I throw the leftover rock in my sump?

I have a glass cover. Does anyone use them? All the tanks I've seen have open top or mesh.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
The extra rock is optional, it can overtime add extra bio filtration but it can also become a detritus trap

Avoid glass tops as they limit gas exchange and will diffuse light if they get caked with salt creep

Mesh tops are needed if you plan to have fish that are “jumpers”

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I haven’t had those issues, but I can see how they could happen. The only time I get salt on the cover is if I don’t wipe up any water after maintenance. Even then, unless I’m shoulder deep in the tank it’s not much water up there.

I don’t know about the gas exchange in a normal situation. In my case i ended up with a balance. I wanted to limit it, so that’s why I have a glass top. My tank is in my garage, with a gas water heater within 5ft of it. I run a co2 scrubber that pulls in outside air, scrubs it, and feeds to the skimmer. Ironically the frag tank isn’t covered, plumbed to the same system. I have fans blowing on the frag tank and sump to keep the temp down. it ended up working out for me...