• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Welcome To NJRC! Take a minute to introduce yourself

Hey I'm Nick I've been around for awhile (hope to make one of the meetings soon!)
I really like Skateboarding,Surfing,reef keeping,game programming,web programming (Fragging corals! fun and an easy money maker later on when i get lots of corals :D)
SW keeper since Sept 06 FW since along time ago :) Love this hobby and hope to make a business when i get out of school
Well THANKS FOR READING MY INFO!

billyr98 said:
.. Can't wait to see you guys at your next meeting... I live in South Jersey, Cherry Hill ..... I will post some pics of my tank in the near future!! You should see more faces posting soon..  :)

Don't want to be picky Billy but.............It's OUR next meeting!

Welcome to the NJRC familiy, everyone!!! ;D

Hi there, my name is Sarah.  My husband Scott and I have 3 boys, 18, 4 & 2 1/2.  The teenager is indifferent to just about everything.  But the little guys love the tank and our pets.

Scott and I had drooled over SW tanks for years, but fell for that "it's so much work and so expensive" line. (Ok, it's definitely cost us a small fortune...but it's not hard to keep up with it all. Especially since we stare at it every night!)

About 18 mos. ago someone gave me a 20 gal. hex. aquarium and stand.  What the heck - we started up a small reef tank.  We were both quickly hooked and bought a 94 gal. corner tank less than 6 months later.  That was the real learning experience for us, cured our own rock, etc.  Smelled like low tide in the house for a while, but it was worth it!

Our critters include 2 Dispar Anthias (Thelma & Louise), 3 Chromis (Larry, Moe & Curly), 1 Yellow Tang (Dart), 1 Gold Striped Maroon Clown (Slick), 1 Flame Angel (Pheonix), 1 Purple Pseudochromis (Lil), 1 Midas Blenny (Benny) & our most recent addition - 1 Copper Banded Butterfly (Copper) because we found some Aptasia on the back wall of the tank.  We also have 1 Blood Red Fire Shrimp (Felix) & 1 Cleaner Shrimp (Jacques).  We drew the line at naming the crabs and snails.  But yes, the corals all have names too.  Too many to list, but I cannot leave out one of our most active inmates...Kermit, our Green Carpet Anemone (who has a growing pile of snail and crab shells next to him).

We still have alot to learn.  Recently started to fall for Zoos and love mushrooms of all colors too.  They're been our focus lately. A great and easy way to add lots of color to our tank.

hello NJ reefers,
My name is Robert.
I come aboard from the south jersey reefers club. oddly enough I live in NY, but met many of the NJ members there thru the reefsanctuary forum.
I am 42 yo. and was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY.
but now live in Queens. Married for 7yrs after being together for 12 yrs before that. We have a 3yo son and another boy along the way(due feb.)
I sell booze for a living...like my father before me, and his father before him..three generations of boozemen lol. I grew up helping dad at the store, but never thought of doing it for a living so I went to school (currently have a masters in finance) When dad fell ill I took over the shop for him and never looked back since then.
When it comes to reefs I am a complete and total newbie ;D... (I don't even have a tank yet). I have learned so much in the past months since I dove into this hobby, and I'm sure I have plenty left to learn. My new years resolution is to change that ...and I'm sure to reach that goal with the help and knowledge of my neighboring Jersey reefers!!
see you all at the next meeting ;D

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome Robert! You will meet a lot of great people here... Hopefully you can make the trip across the river and get to a meeting.

You will definitely have a lot of friends here... There's a few of us that enjoy a bit of drinking on occasion ;D

Hey guys, I'm located in Mount Laurel and looking to meet some local reefers to trade thoughts, ideas livestock or just to make some acquaintances in the reefing world.

I currently have a very young reef in a 92 gallon corner tank attached to a 40 gallon custom live sand bed sump. The next addition will be a mangrove/refugium tank.

A few pics:

DSCN7946.jpg

DSCN7933.jpg

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Welcome Symbiote. Nice to see you here. I'm also in the Rubbermaid stock tank club. I have a 50 gallon and a 100 gallon hooked to my 90 gallon tank.

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

Ed, Yeah that's the 100 gal tub. My spillway only keeps the water at a little over 40 gallons though. That is stock tank vesion 1.0, I'll do some things differently on the next one. Including stronger partitions and more capacity (60 gallons would be nice). I find the open top of the stock tanks to be very convenient for maintenance and on the fly changes. For example I can move around my bags of chemipure to 3 different locations depending wheather my ORP is on the rise, dropping or stable. I can clean my mechanical filtration whithout stopping the flow or dissasembling anything. I can sit on a bucket with a flashlight in the dark and watch my clean up crew from the top. :p Have any pictures of your setup?

Hey Symbiote,
Nice tank. How longs it been up? One of these days we need to do some frag trading. Well i'm sure you'll have fun and make lots of friends.
Nick

Hi Nick, Thanks. I've put a lot of time into it.

That tank has only been up for a few months and the sump for even less time. I made a big mistake when I switched over to that sump, I cold cut and used the pump from the old small sump. The amonia spiked and killed almost everything. Doh! In hindsight I should have spent the extra dough on a new pump and ran the 2 systems in tandem for several months. Oh well live and learn. I don't have much to frag right now (unless you want leather or cabage) but the tank is finnaly getting to the point where I can feel safe adding some new corals and other life. I can however offer scoops of seeded sand bed if anyone needs it.

In a few months I'll have plenty of Cheato as well.

... I just realized... I never introduced myself.

Hey- I'm Kat.

I'm Jersey born and bred, however, I decided to take a jaunt to Atlanta to study graphic design. Through college, I rediscovered my fascination with aquatics and animals by working at one of the major LFS in the area with an awesome manager/teacher/friend. Now that I have graduated, I kind of think I made a mistake with the graphic design and am looking at going back to school for marine biology in the fall.

When I moved back to NJ, I didn't have enough room in my car for my 40 BDR. So, it was me, my torn-down pico, my 3ft male ball python (Harlequin), and my albino-ish cat (Barry) driving up here during last summer's heat wave.

So, fast forward to today. I've got my 3G pico up and running, and am still on the hunt for stocking it out. I'm looking into Rugters - Cook for the fall, and working a part time job in hopes to either get a scholarship from them, or to at least put away some money for courses. I'm also starting to do some research and planning on a proposal for a research experiment I'd like to get started as both a personal thing, and as a bid for a research internship at Cook. "The feasibility of a sustained coral aquaculture trade, as well as the potential for wild release of aquaculture specimens to re-reef in danger areas and jump start artificial reef programs." I'm bad with names, and that's what I'm calling it for the moment.

.... suffice it to say, I have a ton of free time at work. ;D

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome Kat!

I know exactly what you're talking about with the Graphic Design position. I've been in printing for a long time and right now Designers are a dime a dozen (although finding a good one is still a hard task!)

Good luck with your career change, and again welcome! This is a great place to be, with equally great members.

Enjoy!

Thanks! I'm already noticing how awesome people are on here!

Yeah, I made a big mistake with the design thing. It seemed like a smart idea at the time... but I've said that about a lot of things.

*crosses fingers* I'm just really hoping to settle into either a good design position and save up to go back to college, or get a good internship to pay for school... again. XD

Hello

my name is RevClyburn, Edwin. And yes I am a ordained minister. I've been this hobby for years, about 10+ years. Seen it go from L/R, bioballs, jaubert plenums, and a wet dry with media. The days when having mushrooms in your tank was a big thing. Now, you can have just about anything outside of a whale in your tank.

My current 90g reef, is mostly softies, with some monti growing from some L/R I bought. I am hoping to buy a 160/180 as soon as I get my wife a house. I pretty much let my tank run itself, haven't had a lot of major problems with it. Just upgraded my lights from 4x55 pcs, to a 6x54 Tek T5. I joined this club recently, but I've been around for a couple of years. I have met some of the nicest people you ever wanted to meet. From A to Z, just a great club to belong too.

May we all continue to grow in knowledge and new friendships.

RevClyburn

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome Kat and Rev. It's good to see you here.

I'm glad you've had some good experiences so far. There are a lot fo great people in this group that are always willing to help out. If there's anything you need, just ask. I'm sure someone will chime in.

For those of you I didn't get a chance to meet at Renee's shindig in January, I'm a new member as of that day. I went by RJPII when I was active on Reefcentral for a couple years, but then after hearing RichT propose that I switch to the catchier BoontonBob at the meeting, I took it and ran with it! I felt like a frat brother getting sworn in! ;) Thanks Rich!

Some background: I have about two years experience, having kept a 90G with a 30 gal refuge and 15 gall sump. I took the simplistic and economical oriented approach to my first tank and took my time learning how to balance water parameters and other basics. It was a great experience and took to keeping an easy to manage blend of leathers, Euphyllia stonies, xenia, a few shrooms and three fish under pc lighting. I sold the tank when I knew we were moving and shortly thereafter learned we were having twins! It has been two years and I now have the burning itch to get back in. ("But honey....it's really for the kids enjoyment"!) I am currently looking for at 125 or bigger set up.

I am looking forward to being in the club and helping out when the kids are another year or two older. There was a lot of good spirit and generosity at the meeting, which made for a great introduction. I am currently considering spending the rest of the winter constructing an acrylic sump/refuge, especially after seeing the informative demo. by Rich and Renee at the event.
See ya around!
Bob

C

concept3

Hey Bob! "Welcome back" to the hobby. Looking forward to seeing pics of your finished acrylic project once done!

-Merv