• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Welcome To NJRC! Take a minute to introduce yourself

Hello there,

My name is mynd. I have about 15 years in the hobby. I have had a 50, 90 and 180 gallon tanks. The tanks have had just about everything you can imagine in them at one time or another. I moved to Australia about 6 years ago and had to leave the hobby. However, I am back in the USA and once again getting back into the hobby.

This time around I am going small but doing things right from the get go. I have ( and not everyone will agree ) decided to use an aquapod 12g this time around with a cl-150 chiller. The tank has some small mods including and extra fan, ups system with GFCI and upgraded pumps. The chiller is utilizing a pressure pump that gives me a continuous flow of about 300GPH back into the tank.

The tank has an MJ900 for return flow and surface agitation and the chiller return line has been moded to return flow back into the tank through the filtration wall. I am using filter floss and purigen in chamber 1 and pretty much nothing else other then Live Rock and Sand.

I am going to be doing softies and lps with the stock lighting of 54 watts. Going to see how things fly. I might upgrade later on to 70w HQI sunpod if I can get someone to trade with me for the server I have listed in the trade forum. I also have a 400w MH with remote ballast and HPS lighting hood that I could trade as well.

I have added my mugshot to my profile, but for some reason it does not like to show up all the time. I hope to make some friends here that might be able to help me out with frags from time to time as I would prefer to see them grow up vs just buying them at the LFS, where who knows what they have. In return as things grow I would hope to use the other AP12 tank I have to frag out what I grow as well.

Going to stick with a colorful array of zoo's and ric's along with some other maybe gorgonian's for depth. I wish you all well and hope to become part of the club shortly, maybe even go to some meetings in the future.

I live in Mountainside, NJ and I am currently a freelance network architect. I basically design and implement new / old network strategies for companies and hook them up. I am currently doing a job for a client which has me configuring a new network structure at the central office and then creating a site to site vpn for the showroom. I am pretty much done with the exception of a few items that need to be configured at the showroom. This is where I am spending most of my time.

During my free time I basically spend it mulling over my aquapod 12G which is almost completed with the exception of chiller and pump. I just got the word from BlueLine that the HD-20 will do the job just fine when connected to the Pacific Coast CL-150. Now all I need to do is sell that server. :)

Thanks Merv and Gabriel!

Hello Mynd! That is quite a path you have taken, going from LARGE volume to micro! I am curious if went diving while you were 'down under'.

Welcome from another newbie. Hope to meet you at a meeting.

Hello boontonbob and everyone else, thanks for the warm welcome. I actually did some diving in South Australia ( Glenelg ) up until a Great White decided to come in about 40 feet from the beach. After that I basically decided to stay on land. I saw the shark from the grange pier and that sucker was huge.

I will leave this post for welcomes, but thanks for asking.. Welcome to the Club!

Hello everyone,
My name is Justin Hensperger. I have been into fish for about 5 years. It started with a freshwater comunity tank. It was a 25g eclipse which I still have running today. After switching to aggressive freshwater I felt there was realy nowhere else to go I started eyeing up saltwater. I had done alot of reasearch last year and finaly got a 55g tank from a friend who had it sitting in the garage.
Its now set up in my room as a reef tank. I have 35lbs of Lr and 70 lbs base rock are coming. I have had the tank up for about a month and a half. I have a pair of clowns and three damsels right now and Im waiting to get the rock settled before adding more livestock.
Im looking forward to being in NJRC and learning as much as I can to keep the best tank I can. I hope to become good friends with everyone.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome everyone! I'm glad you found us here and I hope to meet you (or see you again) at our future meetings.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi Everyone...

My name is Phil Gordemer, and I heard this is the place to join the new 12 step recovery program for SaltWater-coholics (*smile*) (I have to stop mixing saltwater in my Martini glasses)

I have been in and out of aquariums for about 25 years, with the last 12 years just saltwater. Mostly been doing FO or FOWLR, but last year I started up a new 90 that will be reef. So now I have to get my feet wet with easy coral selections. There are usually 2 or 3 tanks running at any one time. (2 x 55 amd 1 x 90) Over the years I have seen all the trends and all the gadgets come and go, (so I am not going to get started with the BioBalls vs. Live Rock debate), but for me the tinkering, testing, tooling is fun. (How many ways can you use a PC to control stuff is never ending)

Personally Info: I am 47 and live in Paulsboro, NJ with my partner of 8 years. By day, I am a Computer Network Administrator and CAD Manager for a large Civil Engineering company in Hammonton. I am a wreck divemaster and assistant scuba instructor and love it as a way of meeting people. Until recently I was an active flight instructor in Williamstown, Hammonton and Vineland airports. I volunteer amd serve on the boards of a few social service agencies in Philadelphia.

So, now let the road trips begin!!

Phil Gordemer
phil@gnsgroup.com

Welcome aboard Pgordemer! Glad to have you in the club. Nice to see someone else does almost exactly what I do minus the CAD. Looking forward to meeting you in March, since I won't be at this months meeting.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
pgordemer said:
By day, I am a Computer Network Administrator and CAD Manager for a large Civil Engineering company in Hammonton.

Would that be ARH?

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nope...I'm in the heavy construction industry and have worked with Ron quite a bit over the years. In fact, I'm getting ready to build a job you guys designed on Bayberry Drive.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I still instruct, just not every weekend and all year around like I used to. Mostly specialize in people that own their own airplanes and moving up to faster hardware.

-Phil

Hi my name is Richard Azierski. I am 13 and I will turn 14 on March 31.
I live in Nutley NJ .I am half Polish and half Spanish.

I have very little experience in the hobby. My first salt water tank was a 10gallon Manasquan inlet biotope ( ;Dtry and guess were I got the fish and inverts from) it was just a tank an old free Hob with filter floss and a heater. The tank lived about 4 weeks and then I released every thing.
My new tank is a 20gallon long with a 10gallon sump. I will hopefully have the tank set up and cycling by April.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome Phil and Richard. It's good having you here. I'm looking forward to meeting you in the future.

Hi everyone,

I just submitted an application to join all of you today and wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Jack and I live in Carteret. I'm married and have three great children. My oldest son is 18 and attending St. Peter's college in Jersey City. My daughter is 16 and my youngest son is 6 going on 16 :)

I have had fresh water tanks on and off for the past 20 or so years. I am new to saltwater. I currently have a 55gal tank with just a few easy to care for corrals, however, it is really more of a FOWLR setup. I have had this tank for a little over a year now. I made the newbie mistake of rushing into saltwater without enough knowledge. I did read a few books and web site articles before I started, but not nearly enough. I have learned a lot more since then but still have much more to learn.

I am currently in the early planning stages of a 180 gal reef system.I am taking my time with this one so I can hopefully get it right. I have been lurking on RC and on the forums here for awhile now reading threads and gathering as much information as I can, however, it doesn't compare to actually talking to experienced reefers and getting their thoughts and suggestions, which is one of the main reasons I would like to join NJ Reefers. It would also be nice to meet other people who share the same intrest as me.

I am also hoping to get my wife more into the hobby. She has shown intrest in having a seahorse tank and she really enjoys looking at the 55 gal tank now. I'm hoping that by bringing her to a few meetings with me and letting her meet and talk with some of the people that she will gain the confidence to take care for her own tank. Besides, she controls all of our finances and I'm likely to get more spending money if she gets involved in the hobby, lol :)

I hope I get the chance to meet you all soon.

Jack