• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Welcome To NJRC! Take a minute to introduce yourself

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Welcome Dave. Don;t worry some members here might rag on you for putting fish in 'too early' but we are all friendly and understandable, for the most part just look out for @Mark_C lol. Its a great group of folks here and you will learn a lot. Sorry about your first tank. Feel free to start a tale of tank thread and add pictures. Also see if you can make our January meeting (details on main page)

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Hi All,
I'm Dave from Bogota, NJ. I am the proudish owner of an RSM250 that I purchased used about 6 months ago. This is my first experience with saltwater. I stocked it with live rock and sand from TampaBaySalt, and I inherited 6 fish. After it stabilized I added a few frags and the cyphastrea was spilling, the duncan was budding and the mushroom was expanding. Then tragedy struck! One Sunday morning in December I hear a loud cracking noise and discovered a 12 inch vertical crack in the tank and water pouring out. I bucketed the water and removed the fish and some of the inverts and corals that I could save. Absolutely Fish in Clifton got a lot of free stuff that day.

After 2 weeks of moping and looking at the empty space on the wall, I called Red Sea and ordered a replacement tank. It has been up and running for about a month, it is stocked with Part I of the TBS package (part 2 will come whenever Richard recovers from his surgery) and a CUC that includes snails, hermits, a cuke, brittle and serpent stars, a lettuce slug, a lawnmower blenny and a watchman goby.

Yesterday, after removing a pesky mantis AND pistol, I returned from my LFS with a pair of picasso clowns who took to each other right away. I'm still hearing an occasional click so I might have one more pistol to deal with.

And don't scold me for adding too quickly: my numbers are all good: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0! and Phosphate .25 (gotta work on that one).

Thanks in advance for any advice, and I hope to show up at a meeting if any are a little closer to my part of the state.
Where did you hear about us?

I forgot to mention this before. For all of the new members that live in North Jersey, I am located in the North Jersey area. I grew up in Glen Rock and then moved to different towns in Morris County and I now live in Wharton! So if you need help with anything or just need someone to talk fish with, shoot me a message whenever!

Hello All,

While growing up, my parents always had a fish tank, fresh water.

About 5 years ago, I moved to a nice apartment, and decided to start a tank myself, with a 26 gal fresh water tank, which I enjoyed.

A few years later, I moved again. Instead of moving the tank, I wanted to upgrade. My parents agreed to take in the fish, and I sold the tank.

I switched to a mixed salt water tank, a Red Sea Max C250, which I have had running for about 2 1/2 years now.

Time to move again (next month)...and I am planning to upgrade again.

If possible, I am thinking to sell my running system in the next month.

Right now, I am thinking to go with Red Sea Max E260 with separate sump, Apex, and running the Triton method.

I am planning to go tomorrow, to the January meet up (a first for me).

RBNow

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
Hello everyone, My name is Eric Manning. I've been keeping freshwater tanks for almost 8 years now and Saltwater for 5.

I started with a small 10 gallon that lasted about a year and killed way more corals than I'd like to think of.....

Then I upgraded to a 29g with a sump and had some success keeping some softies and LPS for about 2 years

I currently have a 90g built into my home with a 65g sump behind the wall. This tank has been up for a little over 2 years but I have just recently begun to add more fish and the first coral ( there had been a single starry blenny in there for over a year now by himself) I'll be starting a Build thread here but my original one is one reef central:

ReefNoob's Huge 90 gallon build Thread - Reef Central Online Community

I am currently a senior at MAST, a science and technology-focused school located in the sandy hook national gateway national park. Attending school at MAST has allowed me to learn so much more about my tanks through taking courses such as Oceanography and marine chemistry. As a senior, I am working on an independent research project that will take thousands of data points that have been collected by previous MAST students showing the contents of trawl net drags in the Sandy Hook Bay. I will be taking this data, analyzing it, and compiling it in a way that shows the changes in biodiversity between 1998 and now. It's a very interesting project and could probably (have actually) write(n) pages about it, but to keep it brief ill cut that off here. Project blog with more info can be found here: ETM Fish Data GIS maps and GIS

I'm very excited to finally join NJreefers now that I can drive myself around to meetings & to pick up frags :)

Question: I looked in the "Join Us" page and saw that membership can be paid at a meeting, I am planning on going to the Feb. 18 meeting, so can I just show up and register then?

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hello everyone, My name is Eric Manning. I've been keeping freshwater tanks for almost 8 years now and Saltwater for 5.

I started with a small 10 gallon that lasted about a year and killed way more corals than I'd like to think of.....

Then I upgraded to a 29g with a sump and had some success keeping some softies and LPS for about 2 years

I currently have a 90g built into my home with a 65g sump behind the wall. This tank has been up for a little over 2 years but I have just recently begun to add more fish and the first coral ( there had been a single starry blenny in there for over a year now by himself) I'll be starting a Build thread here but my original one is one reef central:

I am currently a senior at MAST, a science and technology-focused school located in the sandy hook national gateway national park. Attending school at MAST has allowed me to learn so much more about my tanks through taking courses such as Oceanography and marine chemistry. As a senior, I am working on an independent research project that will take thousands of data points that have been collected by previous MAST students showing the contents of trawl net drags in the Sandy Hook Bay. I will be taking this data, analyzing it, and compiling it in a way that shows the changes in biodiversity between 1998 and now. It's a very interesting project and could probably (have actually) write(n) pages about it, but to keep it brief ill cut that off here. Project blog with more info can be found here: ETM Fish Data GIS maps and GIS

I'm very excited to finally join NJreefers now that I can drive myself around to meetings & to pick up frags :)

Question: I looked in the "Join Us" page and saw that membership can be paid at a meeting, I am planning on going to the Feb. 18 meeting, so can I just show up and register then?

Welcome!! Yes, you can register at the meeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor

Welcome