• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Welcome To NJRC! Take a minute to introduce yourself

Hi I’m James. Originally from Long Island. I moved to Milford PA 3 years ago about 15 min away from Sussex county. Started my new tank a little over a year ago. It’s a 180 SPS system started with frags. So far I have found no one around me that keep SPS. Here is a quick pic
Hey dude, I remeber you from MR from when i was living up in brooklyn. Hows it going.

Hey, I'm Brittany.
I've had fishtanks on and off for most of my life. The first fish I remember getting was a goldfish I won at St. Ambrose carnival. I was the only one happy about it, ha! If I am remembering correctly, that fish lived for about 5 years (I was young, so I might be misremembering).
When I got my first apartment, I had a series of tanks (that I technically wasn't supposed to have, but that's history now). The last of which was just a 5 gallon freshwater tank with a couple of platys. That tank is still running in my mom's basement now with one of the platys still kicking.
Eventually my husband and I moved into a condo and got a dog. Like a month and a half later, PetSmart was having a sick Black Friday deal on fish supplies, and somehow I convinced him to start a saltwater tank. We learned as we went, but in the end we wound up with a 60 gallon reef tank. It had a bunch of different corals, and 2 clownfish, a Kole Tang, a six line wrasse, 2 pj cardinals, and a goby. We made a bunch of mistakes and lost some early inhabitants including our favorite, a scooter blenny named Rufus. Actually the cardinals were the only OGs. Not something that I'm proud of, but we definitely learned.
Fast forward a year, and we had 2 dogs, a fishtank, and a newborn baby. I got home a few times and there were 5 gallons of water mysteriously missing from the tank (presumably under the floor). So we decided to break it down and re-home the livestock because it was just getting to be too much.
I guess we both missed have a reef tank because we just bought a Red Sea Reefer 170. Looking forward to setting it up and getting some guidance from everyone here.
Thanks for having me!
(Picture of the tank before we sold it)IMG_20190324_095724.jpg

Love the pic. And great tank life summary. Make sure to start a tale of the tank. We can follow along and it makes a great place to ask your tank specific questions that you can refer back to. Some times I look at my own and see pics and go OHHH YEA or gee I don’t remember that fish or coral being so small LOL. Welcome to the NJRC.

New guy here , so here is a quick introduction .

My name is James and I live in the Old bridge area , my Wife Rose and I are new to the hobby and currently have a 90 gallon reef tank up and running . Just starting out and we are around 6 weeks into the tank.

Current occupants of the tank are as follows . Fish wise so far we have , 2 blacker ice clowns , a purple fire fish, a watchman goby, a sixline wrasse , and a carpenters wrasse, We did have 2 recent loses of a marbled wrasse and a red firefish, Invert wise we have 5 trochus snails, 5 dove snails, 20 blue leg hernits, and a pistol shrimp. Plans to add 2-3 smaller tangs in the future to round out our fish line up. We do currently have a few softies in the tank . So far we have some Xenia , Kenya tree, 2 types of duncans , some zoas 2 small colonies and a frag , GSP , 2 mushrooms. , and 2 leathers.

System wise we are currently running a eshoppes R100 refugium sump . Plans are in place to add to my water volume by adding a new sump system that will include a 40 breeder converted into a sump that will house 3 filter socks and a chamber for protein skimmer,and marine pure blocks . that will then will feed into a 40 gallon breeder that willl be for my cheato , then to a 40 gallon breeder that will house only live rock and a return chamber. We are also setting up 2 QT tanks , a 20 tall and a 10 for smaller fish. We are currently using the trinity T5 lighting that came with my used tank purchase but just upgraded to 2- AI HYDRA 64HD's that are waiting a top rail to get installed.

We also just added a 6 stage RODI system with 44 gallons of RO storage and a 44 gallon saltwater mixing barrel in my mixing station.

Plan is to use this 90 gallon as a 1 year learning experiment then upgrade to a 120 gallon in that space( we are limited on space here ) . I am also toying around with the idea of adding a 60 gallon cube tank in our dining area that will be a clown harem tank.

So there you have it as to what we are running and what our plans are. This is a extremely addictive hobby and I am currently hooked. I want to thank everyone here in advance for all the information that is shared and for all the assistance we will definitely receive.

James