• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

What is everyone doing for the reef tank today?

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Contemplating selling all my fish to turn the reef tank into a seahorse oasis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Hopefully a water change when I get home

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Mixed the bucket for ALK dosing. Cleaned the skimmer cup (been on for just 2 weeks and is kicking a$$). Replaced bio-pellets.
Wow, done a lot today..

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Mixed the bucket for ALK dosing. Cleaned the skimmer cup (been on for just 2 weeks and is kicking a$$). Replaced bio-pellets.
Wow, done a lot today..

Did you get a new skimmer Sunny? if so what kind?

Had my hands in the tank almost the entire day. First time in a long time.

Picking out dead sps
58CF1780-FC91-4C39-869F-2FF52ECBF1AF_zpskewzaabd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

About a month ago I dropped my refractometer while it was in the case and the calibration was off. I recalibrated it with calibration fluid. Well I guess the dropped moved the prism because it said my salinity was around 1.031. Not really thinking it was giving me a bad reading I kept dropping my salinity over the next week to what I thought was 1.026. The sps started to bleach and everything was really off looking. All my tests were reading strange and I was dosing tons of alk, mg, & calc because when I would test it would the results were low. My ph probe said my tank was 9.23. I finally brought some water to a friends house and he was running tests on it. He has a Milwaukee digital refractometer and it said my salinity was 1.019. BINGO!
So over the next few days I slowly got my salinity back up. My calc and mg is still high but my alk is 8.4. I calibrated my ph probe and thats at 8.0.
Fingers crossed I hope things are starting to turn around.

I purchased this and love it!
DF0F9C97-8854-4227-976C-71B460FD9F3D_zpslfdrxf8v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I started sanding and buffing out my new acrylic tank looking a lot better might be able to start building the stand next weekend :)

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Picking out dead sps
58CF1780-FC91-4C39-869F-2FF52ECBF1AF_zpskewzaabd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

About a month ago I dropped my refractometer while it was in the case and the calibration was off. I recalibrated it with calibration fluid. Well I guess the dropped moved the prism because it said my salinity was around 1.031. Not really thinking it was giving me a bad reading I kept dropping my salinity over the next week to what I thought was 1.026. The sps started to bleach and everything was really off looking. All my tests were reading strange and I was dosing tons of alk, mg, & calc because when I would test it would the results were low. My ph probe said my tank was 9.23. I finally brought some water to a friends house and he was running tests on it. He has a Milwaukee digital refractometer and it said my salinity was 1.019. BINGO!
So over the next few days I slowly got my salinity back up. My calc and mg is still high but my alk is 8.4. I calibrated my ph probe and thats at 8.0.
Fingers crossed I hope things are starting to turn around.

I purchased this and love it!
DF0F9C97-8854-4227-976C-71B460FD9F3D_zpslfdrxf8v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sorry to see this Matt. I hope things turn around soon for you.

No worries. It is what it is. Now if I told you what corals were in that pile we would all cry... lol on to the next one!

Too bad the corals I wish would of died are doing great!