• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Zip’s 90 – ver.2.0

2 more bags of sand. Makes for 120 lbs. I started moving rock from. The stock tank. set back now is my Red Sea nitrate kit's solution A is clogged. Ammonia is ok but I need to get a nitrate test

How deep of a sand bed doe that much make?

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Looks really good. Can you move the skimmer up and down? Plumbing is excellent.

Thanks. I have the skimmer on a little stand. I tried to use parts from the old stand but I may have to re cut and take sole more off I think it could use another 1/2" of water

How deep of a sand bed doe that much make?

It's not that deep. Last setup was dry from Marco - 160 lbs and the fuge in the sump was my DSB. This go-round I have a smaller fuge and in the DT there's maybe 1-2" I'll try to measure it tonight

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Steps toward completion are moving along.
I got my rack built to hold my ATO reservoir. I went larger. I like this 2.0 thing
dububu9u.jpg

It's large enough to hold the reservoir and my QT up top leaving room for a nice sized frag tank. Just have to figure how to plumb that in to the tank which is about 15' away. There's a drop ceiling so there's a way to do it...
Here's the one I had in the old house - for comparison and this is with 10g tanks. The other has 2 20s - a long and a tall.
ehu5ate3.jpg

Looking good Dave now let's get that tank going so I can hook you up with some of the really nice green monti that you like so much

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Thanks Dan. I was thinking of that tonight it was one of my favorites. I got through about half the rock in the stock tank tonight. Just scraping off dead Skelton but mostly trying to get vermitid snails off. I think I may have to kill a rock or two.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Trying to work through rock scape should not be so torturous. So why is it? I think I envy the idea of starting from scratch. Regardless I had to have one of those "talks" with myself and came to the realization that I was stuck - paralyses by analysis. I have no more good excuses to have an empty running tank with all the livestock in a bucket. Should have been moved 2 months ago. Poor Jose deserves his stock tank back I think since I've had it he returned to the hobby, built a tank and he's already trading off frags he's grown out. I digress. I bit the bullet and abandoned plans to drill all the rock and use rods to build a secure rock scape. Maybe that'll happen in ver 3.0 :)...

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Well it's finally up again. Only took 19 weeks.
y8e7ydez.jpg

Most of the coral is gone. The green hammer hung on. Some is bleached but it will hopefully come back
u5ava8a8.jpg

There's some weird film on the back glass
eza3e3ad.jpg

Otherwise I think everything that was still alive this morning made it except the 6-line. Maybe in hiding. It went in the tank first because it hitch hiked in a rock but I saw it swimming around. I wasn't done arranging rocks though so I'm worried it found a bad hiding spot because it's always first out for food and no sign of it when the dust settled. I'll leave that off the casualty list for the moment. Lost in the move ordeal
Pink/purple pseudo (a favorite) this happened on day one emptying the tank. Must have hitched in a rock and I didn't see it until the next morning.
Brittle star. Hung on way longer than I thought. I finally had to pull it out for fear that it would crash the tank. I don't think it could have come back.
y8e6azyq.jpg

3 RBTAs (1 is still hanging on but in really bad shape. Sadly I think this will end at 4)
Coral beauty Angel. One day it just disappeared.
About 75% of the CUC. A couple emeralds and 2 nice scarlet hermits I'm sure there was a lot of little cerths and such in the sand bed which was given to someone here back in August. John from reef cleaners will be hearing from me soon.
Almost all SPS. There's a tiny piece of monti setosa still alive and I found some life on 2 hydrophora frags. (Hard to see in this)
5apuru2u.jpg

And the rest that made it so far (hopefully the list is the same tomorrow) blue mushrooms, green mushrooms (barely), ginger leather from falconut, elephant ear leather, coral banded shrimp, pistol shrimp, yellow watchman goby, perc, GSMC, yellow tang, hippo tang, blue mandarin (and hopefully a boatload of pods) and much to my dismay WAY too many vermitid snails. And that's after cooking 20-30% of the rock because if them and manually removing hundreds more (many fed to the fish)
It's been rocky and it ain't over yet but let the healing begin...

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
New observation. I found what I think is some sponge when I moved rock over to the tank yesterday. I'd like to be encouraged because I thought sponge was a good indicator but I've tempered my excitement since I've never found anything that I didn't work to get In the tank that was actually good. Fingers crossed that this is the first.
9uhe2aqu.jpg
e6yquna6.jpg

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
The joys of breaking down and restarting a tank...
I'm at about day 6 of the diatom bloom. Ammonia is at .01-.02. The reagent on my nitrate test clogged so I need to get a RedSea refill. The API is worthless (All PetsPlus had). All that tells me is I have something less than 5 ppm...
Anyone care to set a wager? I'm setting the line at 27 days. That's 2/6/14...
I'm hoping for the under...
I guess I have this to look forward to when I upgrade too?

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Got some new frags thanks to MatteZ and RaffleKing. Guess I have to turn my lights down. Just dropped them 20%. Most of
a9uju2eh.jpg
the bleaching took only 2 days.
y6ysabup.jpg

Some of it looks ok - blue tipped stag
zaje8aby.jpg

6edy2ada.jpg
ryjevujy.jpg

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Ver.2.0 hasn't been going so well. I came home from a rare Friday night out at a fundraiser for my kids school and after dealing with the sitter I headed down to the basement to feed the tank. I don't have the ATO set up yet and I expected it to be low so I wasn't too surprised when I heard slurping. As I got closer I realized something was VERY wrong. Several LARGE cracks were spidered across the front glass of the sump and some 30 gallons had dumped out. :( The cleanup wasn't much fun but not too bad.
...and I just missed the $1/gal sale by like 2-3 weeks.
I replaced 2 glass baffles with acrylic and I guess I made them too big. I wanted them to be snug b/c acrylic in a glass tank I thought would be hard to glue on account of them meddling separate distinct kinds of glue. I guess it found a weak point. So I'm going sump less for a while until I can put something together.
Ver.2.0., two points, Dave -zero. I think four to nothing and I throw in the towel. For now they got another day.
I've got the MP40s running moved the temp probe up and dropped in an air stone.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Dave, sorry about the mishap. Just an FYI, acrylic actually slightly swells when put in water...so that added to the tight fit and probably was why it eventually snapped.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Thanks Paul. Good to know. I had no idea but it certainly looks like that happened. Not sure if my plan will be to cut them down a 1/8" or have the old glass baffles re-cut.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Who knew that an Aqueon 40b would be so hard to come by. I was supposed to get one from the THR on Wednesday but their delivery was delayed due to last week'a storm. Guessing this week's storm will further screw things up. I am continuing to run without a sump - just passed the 2 week mark...
The tank looks pretty bad. Needless to say the frags I got that weren't doing well are all done. I rigged up an old HOB just to have some carbon running and an air-stone running under a powerhead to blow air into the tank. Also I had to pull the heater out of the overflow where I used to keep it b/c (duh!) there was no flow and the tank dropped to 74.5. Didn't think that through too well...
Hopefully I'll find one this weekend or I'll have to use the petsmart 'top choice' 40b w it's slightly offset dimensions - just enough to HAVE to scrap all my baffles.