• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

140G Oceanic Tank setup..coming soon!

Currently, I'm in the planning stage of my new 140G Oceanic Tank setup...Hopefully, by mid July I will be ready to start setting the tank up. Need to wait for the wife to put her wood floors in first....LOL

There are a few friends/members who will be part-taking in the planning and setup, John aka Latino277, Richie, Allan, Steve aka tangdude and others. I will post sometime soon a definite date for a BBQ for those who want to take part in the making and helping. We live in the Poconos and across the lake, so after we are done there is boating & fishing...or just kick back, eat, drink, listen to music or just BS with whoever...LOL

Here is a picture of the 140G Oceanic that I purchase recently in May. Here are the measurement of the 140G Oceanic L 48.5 x W 24.5 x H 29. Tank has 2 overflows 600 GPH per overflow.
In regards to the equipment this is what I have purchase so far.
140g_oceanic.jpg

EQUIPMENT

Lighting
48" 2 x 250W HQI

Filtration
ATI Bubble Master 160
2 phosband Reactor
MRC CR2 Dual Chamber Calicum Reactor
Custom-built acrylic 50G sump, has 2 filter sock holders, 2 heater holders, 1 probe holder, refugium and 2 phosband reactor holders. (one will be for phosband and the other for carbon).
ati_160_bm_004.jpg

Circulation:
Closed Loop Via Oceans Motions 4 Way Magnetic Flow Diverter (still have not bought)
Sequence Reeflo Dart 3500GPH Water Pump ? (still have not bought)
Sequence Reeflo Snapper ? (still have not bought)

Controllers
AC Jr w/ DC 8 & PH probe
Tunze Osmolator 3155

This tank will be drilled for a close loop. I have bought the glass diamond saw from www.glass-holes.com and need to buy the bulheads, ball valves and PVC. Trying to get the PVC in Black or grey color.
There will be 5 holes drilled at the rear of the tank, toward the bottom for the close-loop. I have several volunteer to drill the holes.

All inputs are appreciate, so I welcome you for any advice and your experience.

Question: Is the Dart and the Snapper a good choice for this setup?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Is the sump going to be under the tank or in the basement? How much water does the Snapper push? Is that going to be the return pump with the dart on the OM4W? Is this essentially the 120 (but taller) footprint? I was hoping it was the 3' wide model! I see you haven't planned for actinic supplementation? What color bulbs are you going to be using?

Hey Phyl, unforunately I do not have a basement! The sump will be in the cabinet, plenty of room in there.
As for the reeflo snapper here is the Specifications: - Ports are 2in FNPT suction and 1-1/2in FNPT discharge. - Flow:2500gph - Max. Head: 11ft
I think the reeflo snapper will be close loop and the dart will be for the return, calicum reactor and the 2 phosband reactor.

The lighting fixture specification: 2x250W HQI, 4x65W CF, and 6xBluemoon LED I will be using Phoenix 14K HQI bulbs. The Ballast is Blue Wave 7 250W HQI Dual Metal Halide Ballast.

Appreciate your feedback!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If the OM can handle the 3500, I'd use the dart for that and the snapper for the return. Unless you're going to use all 4 holes for drain (or manifold the pump to feed your various reactors), I think 3500gph draw off of the sump may run it dry (and overflow the ... overflow). We found that we needed roughly a 1500gph pump to feed an Oceanic 120's dual 600gph overflows, given the piping under the tank. Any more than that would cause a need to dial down. Of course we weren't running anything else off of the pump at the time.

Phyl thanks for your input...you are correct the dart should be for the OM. Your more than welcome to come up for the setup and at the sametime enjoy the scenery in the Poconos! I will post a date for those who want to come and help. There will be barbeque and some beers...LOL

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for the invite. We may take you up on that, depending on when it is.

What is the head loss you're planning for and what is the output at 11'?

Looking at mid July! At the moment I don't have an answer regarding head loss and output! Probably b/c I don't know. However, appreciate your expertise.