• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

180 gal with 5 holes on bottom

ok, i know i said before i was going to start planning for a bigger tank, 210-260, but this craigslist guy keeps emailing me about this 180 tank he has---hes dropped the price to 150!!!but, he said thers 5 holes in the bottom of the tank that have been covered up--so, probably 1 in each corner for overflows, and the 3 others for possibly a closed loop---but, how would that closed loop work? does that mean i will need pipe sticking out of those 3 holes in the tank with some sort of directional nozzle directing the water the way i want it? isnt a closed loop used with just 2 holes? and if so, what would the other hole in the bottom be used for?
i know, alot of questions, i just dont wanna have to drive to this guys house just to find out this tank wont be worth it.
any ideas?
thanks
steve

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
For a closed loop you would have water coming out of the tank (via one or more outlets), returning back to the tank via one or more outlets. Billy has 2 closed loops running back to probably 6 holes in the front of his tank (take a look at his thread to get a count).

Usually for corner overflows you'd have 4 holes. 2 drains and 2 returns. Not sure what the 5th hole would be for.

If the holes have been covered up, how were they covered and can you UNcover them (and where exactly are they? Maye you don't want to uncover them)? You need to find out exactly where the holes are. You may want to just leave them all covered and use an external overflow to feed your sump.