• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

215 or 280??

I'm planning on setting up a new tank and I'm trying to decide what size it should be. The two sizes I'm considering are the standard 72x29x24 or a special order, 72x30x30.

I sent an email to "Aquarium Obsessed," asking them how much the tanks would cost, and they asked me:"How many holes do you want?" and "What kind of overflow?"

Does anyone have any advice on what I may need in regards to the overflow or holes? Also, does anyone know how much the custom-sized tank may cost (72x30x30)?

Billy went to Miricle, i think.

As far as the over flows I would get 2 1" drains and 2 3/4" returns drilled at the back/bottom... and then get four holes drilled across the front/bottom of the tank for flow in the reverse direction.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The ideal dimensions, IMO are 72(l)x30(w)x24(h). There's another thread floating around in recent history with various tank manufacturers and some pros/cons to them. Billy did a great layout with LOTS of holes for optimal SPS flow. I think in his tank thread there's a diagram of the holes.

yes, billy got his from miracles in glass. I recommend them as well, good quality and reliability.
I would not consider AO .

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Oceanic tanks are the best non custom tanks on the market. if you go to a LFS and pick up a Oceanic and a All Glass or Perfecto you can tell the difference. Oceanics are way heavier. But the price is alot more for Oceanic. PS oceanic and All Glass are now the same company. The reason I went with Perfecto is the fact that I like the corner overflows and no one else makes a 265.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Carlo from Allquatics got me a good price of around $1100 for the tank and it includes a livestock voucher to use in the store.

Thanks guys! I just received email with price for custom tanks...I will go with 215 Oceanic, it is good deal for it at A.O.

I hope that deal is still around when I'm ready to upgrade. But if not then i'll be on the look out for a used setup I guess.

Oceanic makes custom tanks if your willing to pay for it, but honestly you could find one cheaper if you shop other manufactures. I know someone who got a custom 500 gallon oceanic w/starfire glass for $6000 he had 3 overflows plus additional holes drilled in the back for closed loops.