• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

29G Lighting which to choose?

I will soon be going from my 20L to 29g which has a bit more Hight to it.Been looking into metal halides but not sure if i will need a chiller also running it with mostly SPS corals. 150W vs 250W? please help out!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think T5s will be fine for that height. 150s-175s if you want the shimmer effect. Many people run 24" depth with just T5s over SPS.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ace

If you are worry about the heat look at T5s. With the depth of your tank sps will do fine with this lighting. You still might need a fan or a chiller, depends on ambient temp in room. I use MH and T5s because I like the shimmer effect!

Bob

If you are going to go from a 20gal tank, to something larger, go with something that has a greater front to back dimension. A 29 is still only about 12 inches wide, and trying to aquascape a tall tank like that is very difficult. Consider a true 30, or 40gal breeder or 50 gal tank. Of course, larger is always nicer too!(grin)

As for lighting, since the tank would be 30 to 36 inches long, you'd need two MHs if you want even lighting across the tank.

The other people that recommended T5 gave excellent advice.