• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

30 gal long re- build

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I got this tank through the generosity of a member. it came drilled, with a cabinet and top and a halide light. I'm reefing on a budget, so the light had to go- expensive to run and hot, at some point I'd need a cooler. I plugged the hole as well, I'm not into sumps so to speak and with the plumbing out of the back of the tank it would take up too much space and I was concerned about the cost ( and consequences of a power outage ) of a sump. So I built my own in-tank filter using plexiglass a 550gal submersible pump,, bio sponge and ceramic media, pvc pipe, tubing and aquarium safe silicone- the entire filter system cost under $60- it also houses the heater. For lighting I have a Phlizon 165 w full spectrum led light ( specs equivalent to the Vivaspectra 165 ) for almost half the price- I have two 525gph wave pumps for circulation. I also divided the filter return to add to the motion with adjustable heads. I took live rock from another tank and added it to my collection of dry rock- I just added Instant Ocean Bio-spira- my tank is ready to cycle- Attached pics are with all blue and with whites fully on

Attachments

• 20210305_151924.jpg
    20210305_151924.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210305_151956.jpg
    20210305_151956.jpg
    614.2 KB · Views: 16

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Tank cycled in 4 days with Bio Spira and Dr Tim's ammonia- 1/2 half dry rock, 1/2 live rock from another tank- a dusting of diatoms- I ran blues until today- fish and softies this week

Attachments

• 20210309_151939.jpg
    20210309_151939.jpg
    696.2 KB · Views: 4

DYIguy

NJRC Member
The tank is now going through the diatom stage- nothing serious- have been keeping lights down. I borrowed a design for an algae scrubber from an old video from 2013 using a box with a plastic canvas sheet for knitting, an airstone w pump and a grow light mounted inside the tank- if it works out I'll post my design etc- for now, going to add some of my zoas, kenya tree,, a couple of chromis tomorrow and work on my list

Thanks, but I'm not taking the dotty back lol- can't wait to add the coral I got from you to the tank

I’m not giving it back lol.
This guy comes to the top just to eat from my hand.. plus it has so much to watch I love the little bully.. although it not the tank boss..

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Do over time- I put too much rock in it first time around and went with bare bottom- which I don't like but thought it was the way to go with a narrow tank- for a while I ignored and disliked it ( with my 40B doing so nicely ) I currently have 2 chromis and a falco hawk in the tank- I wanted to rehome the hawk. I sat looking at the tank the other day and realized that I was trying to put too much in it- original thinking was for bio filtration ( and I have a ton of rock from a lifetime ago )- I also had a bucket of crushed coral 25 years old. I cleaned the crushed coral and today added that to the bottom, took out a few pieces of rock and rearranged what was left- my 40B is overloaded ( some might say ) with rock- the 30 is a bit more minimalistic - only a kenya tree in it for the moment- thinking about going a zoa/ paly route maybe- Now I'm back in 'like' with the falco- so I'm thinking about going in that direction as far as fish go- maybe a dotty, wrasse- any recommendations for fish ( or freebies lol )